• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading RAM from 4GB to 8GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iMusky

Registered
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking to upgrade my RAM lately. I know that my RAM is 1066 and isn't fast. Is it still good to upgrade it? and which do I need? since my motherboard has 4 slots, and 2 are used. 2x2GB, so that means I need 2x2GB again I guess. Am I right here? Thanks for reading and hoping to get some help. Big noob here! :S [It's DDR3 btw!]

this is what I would get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148662
two 4gb sticks for 8gb and you can keep the two 2gb sticks or add them in for 12gb (some motherboards allow with)

also what OS are you running Windows 7? 64bit right? as 32bit only does 4gb of ram
also what are you running for parts (mostly motherboard) is it a custom build? or OEM (IE dell, hp etc)

btw wow as ram gone up in prices! two years ago I got 8gb of DDR3 for $35!

Mhm, let's see.
First of all, my OS is win7 [64 bit]. My motherboard can only go up to 8GB and not 12. But these RAM are 1600 and not 1066, and since my motherboard is from acer, and I bought my PC a long time ago, I don't really know if I can use 1600. And what's OEM? And in what performance do I get better with more ram? I heard your PC will just get faster with loading etc. I dont think it will improve FPS, or does it? Thanks for replying so quickly.

Musky~

OME - Original equipment manufacturer

Ram can and will scale back to the slower if pared.

Buying 1600 would allow you to upgrade your board later and have better ram.

But the question is if my motherboard right now can support 1600.

Hey, I find that kinda much money tho to get that for my crappy PC atm. I think I will just wait until I will build a new PC myself. Sorry that I posted this thread S:

why be sorry about it, some one else might pass through and find it of use, all questions are of use to someone.

Back