• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Benchmark Buffet!!! Updated 9/1/10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Benchmark Buffet!!! Updated 9/1/10
by EarthDog

Today we will take a high-level look into the world of benchmarking: CPU benchmarks, benchmark tools and much more. Specifically, we will be looking at 12 point scoringbenchmarks plus a new addition listed at <a href="http://hwbot.org/" target="_blank">hwbot.org</a> as well asthe more common utilitiesused for overclocking and submitting scores to their system. We also touch on system information and monitoring programs.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed in several utilities such as Core Temp, etc. that you mentioned they should not be running when benchmarking. Is this to insure the best scores or will some of these utilities cause system crashes when running intensive benchmarks like Prime 95, etc. ?

It's to ensure the best score. You want all resources you can get dedicated to the benchmark that's running. Running those will take away a few CPU cycles.

You mention Prime95 - that's a stability tester and not a benchmark per se'. You want to run CoreTemp (or other program) while that's running so you can monitor your temperatures. Prime and the like are to figure out if your 24/7 overclock is stable (and is within your thermal envelope). For benching, we only care if it's stable enough to complete them. :)

OK thanks. Yeah I should have used Futuremark as a benching reference not Prime 95. The reason I specifically mentioned Core Temp is that their "readme" file implies it may cause system crashes because it's hardware based. I just didn't know if you were seeing this in operation or not?

So if my PC is OC to 10 GHz. and will finish a benchmark, I'm the new King, right? :confused:

OK thanks. Yeah I should have used Futuremark as a benching reference not Prime 95. The reason I specifically mentioned Core Temp is that their "readme" file implies it may cause system crashes because it's hardware based. I just didn't know if you were seeing this in operation or not?
I haven't experienced any instability solely because CoreTemp is running on anything from the AMD or Intel side, ever. I've used two generations of Core2Duo and several Skt1156 chips on the Intel side and from the AMD side, most iterations of chips from an Athlon x2 on through to a Thuban.

So if my PC is OC to 10 GHz. and will finish a benchmark, I'm the new King, right? :confused:

As long as you get the proper validation screenshot, yep! Heck, with CPUz, all you need to do is save the validation file (current world record is 8199.5MHz).

Oh come on now... be an optimist! :confused:

InHell stated back in the PIII days that we'd all be using 6 GHz. flame-throwing PIII InHell CPUs within a year. I bought two fire extinguishers just for use with PIIIs.

Certainly ten years later 10 GHz. should be no problem from a CPU??????? :thup:

Back