• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are all "Thorough Breds" unlocked on Kt-400s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

like the thoroughbred, 1700, 2200, 2400 and above?

or is it just the 2400?

it would be interesting to get the thoroughbred 1700 and just have it working already with no need to unlock it.:cool:

Oppainter, had a 2200 he overclocked on his KD7 and it was unlocked already, no mod needed.

thats why I ask.

it wasn't unlock for me, I have a Gigabyte 7vax with kt400 chipset, i bought the 2400+ from fry the other day, it wouldn't work unless i connect the fifth L3 bridge and then it would only be good at 2.3 (barely stable) gig so i returned it. Wasn't justified to spend $250 on a 300 mhz more, so i'll wait. (I remember the saying of don't upgrade unless you can double your mhz or something like that, that's why i returned it).

Well, I guess this all depends on the motherboard really, but with the 2000+ and lower (when now only the 1700+ is available) they are unlocked on all motherboards, as for the 2100+ and up (when now only 2200+ and 2400+ are available) it depends on the mobo. but all the CPUs have their L1 bridges intact so they are 100% unlocked

It seems to completely depend on the motherboard. I just got an MSI KT4 Ultra and I haven't been able to get my 2400+ to work unlocked in it yet. I tried it with the last L3 bridged and also with it not bridged. Using an unlocked XP2000+ I had all multipliers available with the KT4, and I have all multipliers available using the 2400+ in my A7V8x, so it is clearly dependent on the mobo.

I am thinking that it's something to do with the implementation of multipliers over 12.5. I guess thoroughbreds using less than a 13x multi could possibly be locked. I only have a 12.5x plus setting on my board, no seperate settings for above that. It might mean that all lower multis are unlocked on the faster chips but higher multis are not. Like the chips might be locked at say 13.5x only for multis above 12.5 but be unlocked on the multis below 12.5....

It's a confusing issue that needs to be looked at. We need to find out when people say their thoroughbreds are unlocked, whether they mean they can use high multis, or just the lower ones.

Road Warrior

RoadWarrior said:
I am thinking that it's something to do with the implementation of multipliers over 12.5. I guess thoroughbreds using less than a 13x multi could possibly be locked. I only have a 12.5x plus setting on my board, no seperate settings for above that. It might mean that all lower multis are unlocked on the faster chips but higher multis are not. Like the chips might be locked at say 13.5x only for multis above 12.5 but be unlocked on the multis below 12.5....

It's a confusing issue that needs to be looked at. We need to find out when people say their thoroughbreds are unlocked, whether they mean they can use high multis, or just the lower ones.

Road Warrior

Unlocked means L1s are closed, period, regardless of Palomino or Tbred. Palomino L1s are generally open/locked, Tbreds generally closed/unlocked.

Problems with no post/no boot, partial range of multipliers, runs only with one default Multiplier, etc...are all "older" mobo/bios issues whose software apparently go "bananas" when 5th L3 is open/HI, most if not all solved with the 5th L3 closing mod which resets the 8X Bit Value in Multiplier Code from HI to LO., then get the 5X thru 12.5X range most times.

Newer mobos like the KD7 (first one with no issues?) run ALL Multipliers right out of the box. So how can we say "CPU's Multiplier is locked" in older mobo when same CPU runs All Multipliers perfectly in KD7 and other newer mobos??

Issue is "incompatible" mobos which freak out when 5th L3 is HI (13X and higher)...so how do we find out and list "exactly" which mobos...and with which bios, are incompatible??? Not an easy task for one or a few individuals to accomplish... need to ask around before you buy a mobo.
John C.

Back