• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build review + case/HSF recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
more powerfull, quad cores have yet to show any real gaming improvement over dual cores. there was a sticky though in he intel section about dual vs quad, was a debate. where it was shown that quad core did help and at the time only in supreme commander. though the difference was 2 fps, i said it then and will say it now. take a higher speed dual core over a slower quad core. if your not going to do any A/V encoding or 3D modeling there is no need for a quad core. though i dont need the power of my i7's for personal use, all mine run rosetta..

more powerfull, quad cores have yet to show any real gaming improvement over dual cores. there was a sticky though in he intel section about dual vs quad, was a debate. where it was shown that quad core did help and at the time only in supreme commander. though the difference was 2 fps, i said it then and will say it now. take a higher speed dual core over a slower quad core. if your not going to do any A/V encoding or 3D modeling there is no need for a quad core. though i dont need the power of my i7's for personal use, all mine run rosetta..

+1 !

Thanks guys. The triple core looks to be the sweet spot and I'm definitely leaning towards it over the quad core. Plus, there's a nice price on one in the classifieds that I might end up picking up. :)

My last hurdle before I begin ordering is making sure the case will fit everything.

Here are the measurements provided by Cooler Master:

feature8.jpg

Now, I think the space allocated for the PSU assumes a standard ATX size of 140mm. The Nexus Value is shorter at 125mm, so that gives me an actual 260mm, or 10.2 inches, of space to work with. The 5850 is 9.5 inches so... it'll be tight with the power plugged in but I think I'll be able to fit it.

Last edited:
Okay, I've gone ahead and placed an order for everything. I did a bit of mixing and matching with some parts from the file server (ie. the Noctua NH-C12P will be in the gaming box, assuming it fits in the case, with the AC Freezer Pro going in the file server) but what's in my sig now is the final parts list. Everything should hopefully be here and put together by next week just in time for Dragon Age. :D

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to the thread, I really appreciate the help!

Getting in the 5850 was a little tough but everything fits! :D

img0990b.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for the CPU to come in.

bah, waiting for the cpu, what a waste... :p

you tease with pics, i want to see some numbers!!

Back