• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 4870 CF on P35 -- P45 --X48 Chipset - OCF Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
So there has been a lot of people asking about how much CF (Cross-Fire) on a pair of high end HD 4870's will be impacted by dual x4 , dual x 8 and dual x 16 PCI-e lanes.

I will be starting to test just that late this week so we can see just how much the various chipsets and lanes impact and potentially bottleneck 4870 CF.

System Spec:

CPU : Q9650 (450 x 9)
RAM : Crucial Ballistix D9 DDR2-1066, OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600
GPU's : 2 x Visiontek HD4870

Motherboards:

GA-X48T-DQ6 - Intel X48 Chipset - Dual x 16 PCIe 2.0 slots

ASUS Maximus II Formula - Intel P45 Chipset - dual x 8 PCIe 2.0 slots

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P - Intel P35 Chipset - Dual x 4 PCIe slots

CPU will be a 45nm quad.

I will only run at 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 res and a couple of synthetic benchmarks and a few gaming benchmark, not too many as it takes too long to report on the results.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Aug. 03 00.14.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Aug. 03 00.14.gif
    34.6 KB · Views: 12,686
Last edited:
You may add the X38 in there to see any differences between the 38 and 48series... I know you have a good x38 board.

The X38 and X48 both have dual x 16 so that will not show up to be different, remember I'm not testing CPU and RAM OC'ability, only CF performance :)

Not only that, but the X48 and the X38 are the exact same chip minus some hand-picking by Intel. So whatever you find on the X48 will be identical to what you'll find on the X38...

Go Brolloks, you tha man :beer:

I'm just saying it would be interesting to see the differences, and no the x38 is not the same chip... same design but not same chip as it has more control options such as better tRD. Which when running superpi or cf configs would make a difference, but like I said would be interesting to see.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3208

Last edited:
The X48 is absolutely nothing more than an X38 that has been "certified" for 1600FSB speeds. Even so, the X38 has every identical feature of the X48, to the point that a large quantity of the X38-motherboard owning public is entirely capable of flashing the X48 bios into their system (so long as the other hardware such as audio and nic remain the same)

X48 has no new additional registers or settings, the only difference is that motherboard manufacturers had to offer something that their X38 didn't in order to justify the price. The result is a BIOS that shows a few more options, but those options were still present in the X38 even though the manufacturers chose not to previously show them.

Edit: absolutely got censored somehow? Hmmm

Last edited:
What got censored?

The word "absolutely" is what got censored, seriously! I typoed it somehow in a way that made it bad, but I can't really figure out how. I really was going for "absolutely" versus something like abso-effing-lutely, honest ;) I've tried typing it now like nine different ways and can't recreate it. Wierd...

The two Visontek HD 4870's and Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 (compliments of rdrash) arrived today, will be setting up the first leg of the comparisons on dual x16 lanes and a 45 nm quad at 4.25 Ghz, this is going to be fun:D

The two Visontek HD 4870's and Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 (compliments of rdrash) arrived today, will be setting up the first leg of the comparisons on dual x16 lanes and a 45 nm quad at 4.25 Ghz, this is going to be fun:D

:D

Let's please start another thread for X38 vs X48 please. This is a Brolloks benching thread, no shinanigans.

Please note I'm comparing 4870 CF on a X48, P45 and P35 chip set to see what the impact of dual x 16 , dual x8 and dual x 8 is on the performance of the CF configuration, thanks :)

First up :

Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 with duall HD 4870 and OCZ DDR3 1600.

Attachments

• X48 - 4870 CF -1.JPG
    X48 - 4870 CF -1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 8,564
  • X48 - 4870 CF -2.JPG
    X48 - 4870 CF -2.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 8,420
<---- begins to chant... benchies..... benchies ......benchies...we want benchies!! :beer:

will be very excited to see your comparisons. :)

Back