• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati to come with x700xt, x700pro, x700. Finally a 9800p replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Overclocker550 said:
It looks like Geforce FX cards won't be that compatible with much of the new dX9 software coming out due to an issue in the pixel shader hardware. There is a flaw in nVidia's pixel shader 2.0 architecture and consequently causes a cascade effect in certain dX8 games because of backward compatibility problems with pixel shader 1.2 based code.
Certain dX9 shader code is also incompatible with these chips which means a lot of new software will not work correctly. This problem looks set to be present in nVidia's PS3.0 technology as well, so the 6800 has the dX8 cascade problem, and will most likely have problems with upcoming dX9 releases as well.

there is no fix for this - it is a hardware problem

Where is this coming from?! I would have thought that NV resolved their crappy DX9 support after the trashy FX line, but now the 6800's have a problem too? I didn't know anything about this :-/

DMac said:
I wonder if these will be PCIe-only?

There's no word on an AGP version yet... there will be bridged 6600 cards, though. It seems kind of silly to introduce so many PCI-e cards when there's so little motherboard support.

OC550, where did you dig up that information? I haven't heard anything about the Geforce 6 series having problems like that.

Back