• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE doesn't prompt where to save file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

Like the title says, IE doesn't prompt where to save files. I tried the file types - advanced thing to change to confirm open after download, but that was already checked. When unchecked it opens the file after download. When checked it downloads the file but does not ask where to download it.

Any other ides?

Thanks

Which file type(s) are you having problems with, and which OS / version of IE are you running? I'll assume the OS is either XP or Vista, and if that's the case then open a command prompt w/ administrative rights and type each of the following commands (hitting ENTER after each):

Code:
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}" /va /f

Code:
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{DEEAA3EC-685F-46AE-8110-8D39A0556B78}" /va /f

Enable the "Quick edit" option in the command prompt properties, and then just paste each of the above commands into the window. You'll need to reboot for the registry edits to take effect.

Last edited:
Okay, don't hate me for this, but one thing you could try is to use FireFox then just use the addon for I.E. Try that and if it works, great, if not then it didn't hurt anything ;).

As for your current problem you could always try to uninstall (revert back to an early version) then install again.

Which file type(s) are you having problems with, and which OS / version of IE are you running? I'll assume the OS is either XP or Vista, and if that's the case then open a command prompt w/ administrative rights and type each of the following commands (hitting ENTER after each):

Code:
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}" /va /f

Code:
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{DEEAA3EC-685F-46AE-8110-8D39A0556B78}" /va /f

Enable the "Quick edit" option in the command prompt properties, and then just paste each of the above commands into the window. You'll need to reboot for the registry edits to take effect.

I'm gonna go give this a try. It's a zip file.

Okay, don't hate me for this, but one thing you could try is to use FireFox then just use the addon for I.E. Try that and if it works, great, if not then it didn't hurt anything ;).

As for your current problem you could always try to uninstall (revert back to an early version) then install again.

Personally I use FF, but this is for a user at work not me, and the website does not display properly in FF.

That did not help, the first reg entry was there the second one was not.
It's a XP machine with IE7 on it. It had IE6 before with the same problem. Upgrading it to IE7 did not help.

Open the registry editor to the same key as above...

Code:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046

... and either post a screenshot showing the contents of the RH pane, or post any entries related to *.zip files, like for example WinZip, WinRAR, etc.

I deleted {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} from the registry.

I never ended up resolving this problem and it's back to haunt me, deleting the reg entry did not resolve the problem.

are there any other registry entries that would cause this problem?

the way the download process works is, they log into a secure site, then select the report they want to download. click download, asks if you want to create file, then you can see the browser pointing to a .asp site and then a window pops up saying file created, do you want to save? , then you click save, and you see window flash up (assuming it's the save window). If you search the temp folder the file is there.

One thing i figured out is, that once it gets to the part where it asks you if you want to save, if you hold the control key and then click save, it pops up the save to dialog box.

any suggestions?

edit:

it also appears that it's only a problem with zip files on that webpage.

Last edited:
Have you tried to RESET IE?
Internet Options
Advance Tab
Hit RESET...press Apply...and OK

Back