• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD goes 32nm SOI with Fusion GPU-CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ugh, what is with the bias articles lately? I prefer DAAMIT, but this BS going on lately is becoming very unacceptable. Repeating it on these forums is worse.

Why does the article have to start out with 2 completely subjective (and wrong) comments?

Ugh, what is with the bias articles lately? I prefer DAAMIT, but this BS going on lately is becoming very unacceptable. Repeating it on these forums is worse.

Why does the article have to start out with 2 completely subjective (and wrong) comments?
not sure i get it but ok... i mean you cant deny the bad performance per clock of phenom vs core 2 arch. it took phenom II to catch up on a per clock basis. though we have to also keep in mind about the market segments. in server phenom wasnt so bad compared to intel. in gaming it was a bit different story.

yea crap article
so its crap article to find out that your getting a PII X4 with a ATI 5000 series GPU on die in 2011? it will be far more advanced then what Intel has planned for CPU-GPU setup.

By 2011 we'll have Sandy Bridge with an on-die not just on-package IGP, probably in Q4 2010. Now granted the IGP might be weak but the CPU ought to be kickass especially versus a Phenom II and it's not as if IGPs are all that powerful versus discrete cards anyway. No matter how good AMD and NVs IGPs are I don't see them having great utility in 3D apps just HD video acceleration.

By 2011 we'll have Sandy Bridge with an on-die not just on-package IGP, probably in Q4 2010. Now granted the IGP might be weak but the CPU ought to be kickass especially versus a Phenom II and it's not as if IGPs are all that powerful versus discrete cards anyway. No matter how good AMD and NVs IGPs are I don't see them having great utility in 3D apps just HD video acceleration.

I thought sandy bridge was basically a dual core neha with an IGP. I don't see how that wlll crush a phenom 2.

also don't forget that AMD lately has been known to deliver ahead of schedule.

I thought sandy bridge was basically a dual core neha with an IGP. I don't see how that wlll crush a phenom 2.

well from IGP standpoint like he said intels wont be that great. intel neha arch is ahead of core 2 by atleast 16.7% per clock. since PII is clock per clock the same as core 2, you see where im going? add in that by the time intel does this another 10% atleast will be seen per clock. sorry i havent kept up on amd per clock gain. when doing a die shrink per same arch.

I prefer DAAMIT...

There is an AMDzone...

No, sandy bridge is a completely new arch. What you talk about is the I3/I5 coming January 7th (at least here).

Propus, Rega, Callisto was late, the mobile platform as well.

Sorry Evil not poo pooing you. It seems like any article that favors DAAMIT lately, is sensational, and incredulous. As a DAAMIT fanboy, I do not like it.

Sorry Evil not poo pooing you. It seems like any article that favors DAAMIT lately, is sensational, and incredulous. As a DAAMIT fanboy, I do not like it.

well i see what your talking about now, was just confused on what you meant. its all good! :soda:

Clarkdale and Arrandale are Nehalem derivatives that will be out in early January, most are 2c/4t with the lowest ones 2c/2t. They will have on-package not on-die graphics - 32nm CPU with 45nm GPU iirc. Sandy Bridge is the next architecture to succeed Nehalem and looks like it will be a Core 2-ish leap over previous CPUs with large increases in execution units numbers and widths.

It's not that Phenom II is a bad architecture it's that by the time this rumor says it will be released it will be pretty well outdated. AMD needs to do Bulldozer with on-die IGP at that point not Phenom II with on package IGP.

I'm fully prepared to pick one of these up once it hits the market. Combining both of their best products onto one chip, will be amazing.

The question now stands, can I OC it? Which parts? and can Crossfire work?

It's not that Phenom II is a bad architecture it's that by the time this rumor says it will be released it will be pretty well outdated. AMD needs to do Bulldozer with on-die IGP at that point not Phenom II with on package IGP.

Not necessarily performance what I would be worrying about, what's there what the average user can't do with a deneb ?
Most cpu load comes from video, image manipulation those will be even more gpu accelerated or by that time gpgpu apps could take over entirely.
Which would mean AMD could get better performance as Sandy won't be fused with larrabee but the GMA which won't help much.

Power consumption which does not look good compared to the 750 is more important in notebooks and Francois Piednoel's 32nm demos were even better looking.

MD Llano will house up to four processor cores based on the Phenom II architecture, paired with 4MB L3 cache. While the integrated GPU will be based on Radeon HD 5000 technology sporting DirectX 11

Did everybody move in with the Keebler elves and how lives in a 2x3 foot room? And I didn't get the memo?

It's all well and good to have mini ITX boards for people who think it's cool-- but when manufacturers actually start selling ULV/micro form factor desktop boards, ie, ion/atom boards, and people actually shell out for PC's that are = to like 5+ years ago performance, if not more... something's wrong.

I'm going to make this it's own post but it fits here too so appologies in advance for DP.

We do not NEED this stuff.

Atom/Ion is the laptop platform we've been waiting for. It's finally here. Once the Atom get's a little faster, you've got the ideal machine. Plays movies properly, even in HD, gets the job done, low power, low heat. Bam.

Explain to me why you need an 8" cubed desktop? Please? Anybody? Give me a logical reason why you need a desktop that draws like 10W DC at 12V which works out to like freakin two watts out of the wall?

Do you know that an average PC drawing 200W in windows at 12V is drawing about the same out of the wall as a fairly dim lightbulb? Is that any reason to switch to a piddling slow machine? No. Just turn one light off in your house. Keep the good computer.

Do you live inside a hollow tree? Can you extend your arms without bumping into something while at home? Then you don't need an 8" cubed tower. I don't care who you are or where you live. You can fit a midtower- and you can find the tremendous 30ish watts it draws out of the wall.

Here we are, again, with this CPU/GPU in one package. Great for laptops, again-- especially at 32nm.

But we all know it's going to live in a lot of desktops too- and that's just rediculous.

All of these absurd industrial designs with touchscreens and laptop components-- what's wrong with people? Can't fit a proper midtower in your kitchen but want a computer there? Get a laptop- then you can move it later.

I just don't get it. People think it's Star Trek or something all of a sudden.

Explain to me why you need an 8" cubed desktop? Please? Anybody?

Notebooks make up 70-80% of the pc sales so there is nothing new here.

Why do you need a desktop at all ? Soon the question will be do you want that TV with a built in pc for an extra 200$ ?

Took long enough but we are getting there. The sad part AMD was leading this innovation early 2000 with the PIC. I wanted some for me and family, guess where it went wrong, AMD did not sell them here to protect their PC sales...

amd_pic_1h.jpg

Andreas, if you read this - NH has stopped loading for me since about 4-5 months. I can't access it from any machine at home. I'm being blocked from accessing it (change router/ISP/OS doesn't matter).

Propus, Rega, Callisto was late, the mobile platform as well.
Rana and Heka were and are again delayed too. AMDs conference call suggests that was because of large inventory pileup - due to the hugely slowed spending they claim - of unsold 65nm parts until Q3, such that, nearly all of what they sold in Q1/Q2 was 65nm.

As far as we know, most forward-looking details about AMDs plans come on Nov 11. What we've been told is that Llano 32nm is a Family 10h derivitive, monolithic, sampling in 1H 2010, ramp in late 2H 2010 and that release is in late 2010. The rest is to be revealed soon but Llano is only a replacement to Propus.

2010 will be a very tough year for AMD on the Desktop if Intel can get a full lineup of Core 2 replacements out in volume, unlike the last 12 months.

Hard for me to get excited about new CPU's anymore when the software mediums are so incredibly bad.

Honestly when are the C language and x86 going to be gone?

The only reason to even keep super scalar cores anymore is so they can run inefficient operating systems.

Do you know that an average PC drawing 200W in windows at 12V is drawing about the same out of the wall as a fairly dim lightbulb?

Watts are watts, a computer drawing 200w DC will be drawing about 240 watts at the wall with a decently efficient PSU.
You're thinking of amps, which change with voltage (20 amps at 10v is 200 watts, two amps at 100v is 200 watts).

Back