• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED how old do you let a PSU get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
6 years ago they only made a few units and so if you new that then you also would know that they were all made by seasonic. and by generalizing I can capture a greater audience in the forums.

Every unit is still different

If you wanted a greater audience you should have made a thread instead of jacking this one.

That is not what I was asking, I was asking how much longer do corsairs usually last beyond 6 years there is statistically a answer to that question like they usually make it through there warranty time period.
Its a crapshoot man... and, as was stated ad nauseam throughout the thread those statistics are not going to help you. If you have an 'outside of the box' point as you say you do, you are not making it clear how it would actually matter... at least for me. :bang head

Its a crapshoot man... and, as was stated ad nauseum throughout the thread those statistics are not going to help you. If you have an 'outside of the box' point as you say you do, you are not making it clear how it would actually matter... at least for me. :bang head

And it isn't just you that his point is unclear to.

Every unit is still different

If you wanted a greater audience you should have made a thread instead of jacking this one.

In the reviews they used the same name and quality components so you are incorrect.

I did not jack this thread,it is a discussion on how old do you let a PSU get and I was looking for good discussion about that topic.

In the reviews they used the same name and quality components so you are incorrect.

I did not jack this thread,it is a discussion on how old do you let a PSU get and I was looking for good discussion about that topic.

That's fine, different wattage units are still different designs.
Hence blanket statements being bad.

Its a crapshoot man... and, as was stated ad nauseam throughout the thread those statistics are not going to help you. If you have an 'outside of the box' point as you say you do, you are not making it clear how it would actually matter... at least for me. :bang head
Well now this topic on how old do you let a PSU get has gone down the road allot father than I intended it to. So when the old corsair goes have you seen in the forums will it take out my PC? or is that a crapshoot also.

You also could say you don't know.

Well now this topic on how old do you let a PSU get has gone down the road allot father than I intended it to. So when the old corsair goes have you seen in the forums will it take out my PC? or is that a crapshoot also.

PSU failure is different for every individual unit because failures happen in different ways every time.

PSU failure is different for every individual unit because failures happen in different ways every time.

Now you get my point that is what I'm trying to find out and so far there is absolutely no information in this forum, it's all a crapshoot with quality PSUs. I made one small post I did not think it would blowup like this.

So when the old corsair goes have you seen in the forums will it take out my PC? or is that a crapshoot also.

I already said EXACTLY that.

Now you get my point that is what I'm trying to find out and so far there is absolutely no information in this forum, it's all a crapshoot with quality PSUs. I made one small post I did not think it would blowup like this.

Wingman,

How many people do you know that have the same phone as you? Same Console? Same Car?

Despite the fact that 100,000 people all have the same phone/console/car as you, the failure rate for that is X number of variables. Not everyone will have a semi plow into them while they are moving, or have a fire, or a flood or a power outage. Those cars/consoles/phones all have the same parts but they DON'T share a known failure cause/time.

I am sitting here typing on a laptop in 93 degree weather. If my laptop fails due to heat, the manufacturer ticks that box on the failure sheet. Despite my laptop having ALL the same components as EVERY other laptop of this model, my failure would be attributed to heat and not bad caps or age or liquid.

Your statement that there is no information here is flawed. You want someone to tell you something that NO ONE CAN. I am pretty sure that ONE of my Corsairs is close to or at least 6. it has not failed. I KNOW I have MULTIPLE PSUs that are approaching their teens and some have failed quietly while others tried to recreate the battle of Yorktown.

Last edited:
it is a discussion on how old do you let a PSU get...
:thup:

and I was looking for good discussion about that topic.
Surely... but getting people's experiences on when and how it failed is purely anecdotal and will give no bearing on when or how your specific model or Corsairs in general will die.

I already said EXACTLY that.
We all already said exactly that... we (and nobody) would know...

Again, let's move past that question please...:thup:

Two Corsair modular HX520's, 7.5 years and 6.5 years old respectively on light to medium duty computing. How long will they go? :shrug:

Readings from inception remain the same on the 12V rails using a DMM.

I have a Corsair RM850 that's been pulling about 750W from the wall for about 4-5 months while mining. Will it die tomorrow? That's certainly a possibility, however unlikely.

I have a corsair HX 850 and AX 1200 for approx 3-4 years and a pcpowerandcooling 510 deluxe doing like 9+ solid years. If you buy a quality PSU, you should never have to worry about it. It will outlast every rig you build. Long warranties backed by a reputable company are key indicators of quality psu's.

Been pulling 24/7 usage on my Seasonic S12 600W since 2005, no problems yet, going on nine years! (knock on wood)

Back