• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX5900 128 vs. 256

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
micamica1217 said:

you are kidding me right?

(and my 9700pro plays so much better then my old GeForce3 in halo...big deal) j/k

anyway, you are so wrong about the AF/AA with nVidia vs. ATI...
infact in most cases, when nVidia is not reducing the AF or AA with out your knowlage, ATI has far better AA and AF.

mica

My 9600 blows away an XT so it's not too far off.. XT cost about as much as well.. You said Nvidia can't keep up with ATI in dx9 games like Halo... Halo is unplayable at 1024x768 with almost everything turned off on my 9600.. on my 5900 it plays smoothly at 1152x864 with everything on.

How many FX and ATI cards do you have there testing the quality vs eacother? I would compare 2x AA on FX with 4x AA on ATI.. that's the first setting out of 5 on FX and 2 out of 3 on ATI.

q149 said:

My 9600 blows away an XT so it's not too far off.. XT cost about as much as well.. You said Nvidia can't keep up with ATI in dx9 games like Halo... Halo is unplayable at 1024x768 with almost everything turned off on my 9600.. on my 5900 it plays smoothly at 1152x864 with everything on.

How many FX and ATI cards do you have there testing the quality vs eacother? I would compare 2x AA on FX with 4x AA on ATI.. that's the first setting out of 5 on FX and 2 out of 3 on ATI.

I have done some extencive testing on both the 5900u and the 9700pro AIW (as listed in my rig).

first, compairing a top line card vs. a budget card is about as smart as thinking that ati needs better or higher settings in AA or AF to match nvidia settings.

do I realy need to start listing web sites that will make you eat your words? na, you wouldn't believe the pics anyway.

but I will talk alittle about some benchmarks and games that I've tested.....the results are almost the same as many sites.

aquamark:
starting with the 45.xx drivers, nVidia has drasticly lowered AF in your images. missing shadows, missing images, and even poorer AF is what you'll find with the 52.16 drivers. you'll need to set your AF to 8X just to match an ATI card at 2X when running this benchmark. (Oh, you'll need the pro ver for this to be done)
also, I know that the new 53.03 final drivers is out, but I've not had a chance to test yet.

Halo:
again, comparing a high end card vs. a budget card is dumb.
ofcorse, you'll get faster frame rate with a high end card.
again with the 5900u, missing images, as shown on many sites is confermed by me and my friend, with all drivers starting with 45.xx
with beta 53.03 and 52.16, my friend feals that it is no longer using 16bit PS2.0 shaders.....but now using 12bit or lower shaders. I can't test for this, other then what our eyes see.
there are times when things are questionable, but again I can't prove anything.
still, missing images are not excusable......hey, nVidia, if I'm suposed to see something in a game, I WANT TO SEE IT!!!!
edit: as for FPS, the 5900u will be better tested against the 9800pro, yet still, the 5900u only beat my 9700pro by a few frames.
most people who tested and listed there scores here, where beeten by my scores, and yes, they used a 5900nu or 5900u

MS flight sim 04:
all you need to do is look at some sites and search for pics of this game....you'll crall into a hole and cry.
when testing this game, I set it at 4X AA and 8X AF for both cards.
the ATI wins in AA, but it's not a huge win.
now with AF the 5900u looks like it's only using 2XAF.....why?
because, in many games nVidia, is lowering AF, without your knowladge....in order to raise FPS in the game.

UT03:
for the most part, despite what some people say, I feal the image quality is great for both IHVs....yet still, ati wins by just a hair with AA.

3dmark03:
nVidia will always try to cheat with this test...heck, they even admit it.
yet the only thing that I will say is...AA with the ATI is better then on the 5900u
not by much, but it was better.

get informed, and stop believing that testing a high end card vs a budget card is a fair comparison.
your thoughts will be respected more.

mica

Last edited:
Mr.Guvernment said:

it has been known in the opast that ATI does have better image quality - but wuith recent line sof cards looking @ ati and nvidia screens image quality on nvidia has been better in some cases.

I realy can't believe you said this.
sorry, I can't agree with you.

mica

nVidia at 4XAA and 8XAF

ATI at 4XAA and 8XAF

just look at the bumpmaping in the water and the AF as well as the AA....nuff said.

I am comparing a 9600 clocked at 600mhz... Way faster than what you get for a 200$ XT .. with a 5900nu at 400/850 stock speeds.. which costs around 200$.

Hardly any of what you just said is even relative to what i said. Try to take your mind off cheating and stay on topic for a second.

All i said is AA on FX is better than on ATI. I said aa/af above but i really never checked af too well.. they are probably about even. On every game i tested graphics are without a doubt much much smoother with AA on my 5900. I tested the same level of aa on FX and ATI on many games and the ATI graphics looks like jagged rocks compared.

Go ramble on about how bad Nvidia cheats to someone else, i don't give a ****.

q149 said:
I am comparing a 9600 clocked at 600mhz... Way faster than what you get for a 200$ XT .. with a 5900nu at 400/850 stock speeds.. which costs around 200$.

Hardly any of what you just said is even relative to what i said. Try to take your mind off cheating and stay on topic for a second.

All i said is AA on FX is better than on ATI. I said aa/af above but i really never checked af too well.. they are probably about even. On every game i tested graphics are without a doubt much much smoother with AA on my 5900. I tested the same level of aa on FX and ATI on many games and the ATI graphics looks like jagged rocks compared.

Go ramble on about how bad Nvidia cheats to someone else, i don't give a ****.

I'm not suprised that you don't give a **** about nVidia's cheating ways.
yet I can show again, and again, that ATI has far better AA then nVidia.
the links above in MSFS04 show AA at 4X....clearly ATI wins.
I realy don't think that at this time, nVidia is lowering AA inorder to gain frame rates.
most of my IQ tests show about the same quality across all my testing.....
including aquamark, UT2003, 3dmark03, and so on.

I'm sorry that your testing doesn't match what I and many others (as well as quite a few sites) have shown.
I fear that your testing may have a few flaws, like using different resolutions between cards with the same app.....

anyway, I'm not here to try to change your mind in any way.
just to clear up some misconseptions.

as for price....you can get a 9800np for as little as $200.00 new.

mica

Last edited:
micamica1217 said:

I realy can't believe you said this.
sorry, I can't agree with you.

mica

nVidia at 4XAA and 8XAF

ATI at 4XAA and 8XAF

just look at the bumpmaping in the water and the AF as well as the AA....nuff said.

i shall try to find the site that had the imAges - it could very well of been doctored in same way but from me looking at it for some time the nvidia - in some - inmages had more smoother lines and curves then ati - supposedlt this was due to how ATi and NVIDIA render curves and rounded surfaces?

Now this is only on one site i saw it - i know if you dfo say out of 10 games 9 out of 10 ATI will win :D

Mr.Guvernment said:

i shall try to find the site that had the imAges - it could very well of been doctored in same way but from me looking at it for some time the nvidia - in some - inmages had more smoother lines and curves then ati - supposedlt this was due to how ATi and NVIDIA render curves and rounded surfaces?

Now this is only on one site i saw it - i know if you dfo say out of 10 games 9 out of 10 ATI will win :D

the pics were taken from HardOCP.com....
here is a link that states the same thing.

as I've said, I've tested the above, as well as other games/benchmarks......I have no reason to lie about my results or show what some might believe as bogus pics/results.

if you have followed my replys on other threds, you would know, that I am a true nVidia fan.
and will always try to give nVidia and it's drivers the benifit of the dought...when posable.

believe me, I've run 100's of tests...
printed out pic's...
run at low, and high res...
with or with out AA/AF
used so many drivers I can't remember them all...:p
my results as listed above stand.

I like what cowboyx said:

Cowboy X said:
I know I don't nitpick or complain unlesss I see something glaringly wrong but I don't try to be an ostritch with my head in the sand either . There is not much worse than buying a new item for $$$ and then find out a better item cost $ in the same store , that sort of thing annoys most people . It is also human to suddenly see the flaws in the product which you alreday bought when you see a better product .

Nvidia's year long behaviour has sadly caused most people to second guess anything they say or sell . Many more people are now wary and afraid that they may end up buying and inferior product when they go NV , and Nvidia only have themselves to blame for this . Imagine you go to a store and buy some cookies and they taste pretty good but in the middle of the pack you find worms ....... so you take it back and get another pack which also has worms , in fact more ! You do this about 4 times and even at different stores with different types of cookies from the same brand and still find worms nicely hidden in the center . Trust me you will no longer trust that brand and likely won't buy them for a long time , and in fact you will likely closely inspect every bag of cookies you pick up in future regardless of the brand . I will go further and say that if it was a friend or aquaintance who had the experience it would be very likely that you would avoid that brand too . This is exactly what is happening in the vcard world at present .

Some ATI fanboys indeed go to far , hoping to get as much dirt on the 'enemy' but on the flip side there are those who will argue :
1/ The cookies taste good .
2/ This brand roxxors , they have "protein enriched" cookies .
3/ I don't mind I can't see the worms ( if I take off my glasses ) .
4/ My cousin is l337 and he says this brand is the best .
5/ Don't mind the worms in these 1500000 bags , their cookies won't have any worms in them next year . So keep on buying .
6/ I like worms .
7/ This brand has the best worms .

That may seem funny to most of us but that is an almost exact analogy of what I see being written ( there's of course more but I can't list them all ) . We all know that some of these statements stem from blind fanboyism or even ignorance . But a significant number are due to people with some degree of brand loyalty ( not necessarily fanboys ) who don't want to get hurt by facts concerning their hardware . For many these facts do exactly what I described at first , they show up the flaws in our possesions and decrease our enjoyment of them . Spectacles often look very clean until one looks through another pair or cleans one's own . The way these facts are dealt with by such people varies but it often entails several things :

1/ Try to discredit the facts or sources .
2/ Deny the facts even exist .
3/ Highlight something other than the core fact and try to deviate discussion towards that instead . A good example is people focussing more on Futuremark's motives and $$$ rather than the fact that Nvidia cheated and lied to consumers regarding a benchmark which they said wasn't even important .
4/ Find and mention flaws in competitors current or even past history as if this somehow removes the flaws or problems with Nvidia's hardware/drivers .
5/ Try to prevent oneself from even hearing the facts . *
6/ Deny the significance of the facts .

Lookaround the various forums and you will see all of the above even in technical places like Beyond3d.com . But the ostritch behaviour in numbers 5 and 6 are gaining ground and we must try to stop doing these especially since some rather big websites have been popularising this behaviour .

In Barbados we have a saying " What you don't know can't hurt you . " , that is now the motto of many online , but sadly that good old proverb often doesn't work . What is further ironic is tht the proponents of this 'new' doctrine do know but yet still insist that it 'won't hurt them ' .

See no evil , Hear no evil , Deny them both if you do

Here ends my slightly off track rant :)

I could not have said it better myself...and describes how many act when shown the truth about nVidia's ways over the past year or so.
the funny thing is that it is the FX card owners that are truly being riped off by nVidia.....
and unless they stand up to nVidia and demand this BS to stop, it never will.
why do people stick thier head in the sand, when they should be jumping up and down...SCREAMING at the top of thier lungs, for nVidia to stop riping them off, is beyond me?

mica

^^^ that long statemnent pretty much clears it up - cant wait to see a fanboy come in here and see their reply.

and i beleive you ^^^ i wish i could afford a card of each - often i wish i could afford a G5 and a top end PC so i could for one run my own tests - unfortunatly i cant and so i must go by others words and what is more sad is the majority of those are are fanboys and are biased towards the opponents - whether ati or nvidia or amd or intel.

anyways - i know what works - and the FX is not that :D

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^^ that long statemnent pretty much clears it up - cant wait to see a fanboy come in here and see their reply.

and i beleive you ^^^ i wish i could afford a card of each - often i wish i could afford a G5 and a top end PC so i could for one run my own tests - unfortunatly i cant and so i must go by others words and what is more sad is the majority of those are are fanboys and are biased towards the opponents - whether ati or nvidia or amd or intel.

anyways - i know what works - and the FX is not that :D

the 5900u that is used for testing, is my friend's card....not mine.
we do extencive testing, mostly together, just to see if most sites are truthfull or twisting some facts.
(think of it as a side hoby to OCing)
ofcorse we are not perfect, nor do we claim to be.

mica

Back