• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droban

I am thinking about upgrading my Ti4600 to a 5900 non ultra. With so much controversy its a hard decision. I like nVidia better than ATi but am wondering if I should go with a 9800. Should I just wait for the new cards to come out and see what happens then?
If you have any comparisons of 5900 non ultra and 9800 I'd like to see them

there's only a month before new cards come out so i would wait and see if those are any good or get a good price drop on the 5900 non-ultra.

Yeah I am in the same boat and I have decided to wait for the prices to drop on the current cards and then I am just going to build myself a new gaming pc.

I would definitely wait for the new generation to come out...

blurry said:
there's only a month before new cards come out so i would wait and see if those are any good or get a good price drop on the 5900 non-ultra.

C'mon man... have you read these yet??? It ain't comin out this year. I'd be extatic if the new line did come out in Dec, and I don't want to knock wishful thinking ;) ... but read, and you will be enlightened...
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249319

Look at the dates of the articles you've posted, versus these 3 that I posted. The ones at the end of the linked thread are more recent.

BTW: I do hope I'm wrong! ;)

A month from today will be the very first day of the first quarter 2004.

I haven't read anywhere that the new cards will be out any sooner than Feb 2004.

The TI-4600 is a very good card. Just overclock it a little bit and I am sure it will last you at least another 6 months. Be a little patient. Personally, I think an upgrad from the 4600 to the 5900 non ultra is not much of an upgrade. But if you can find one price way below $200, maybe you should jump on that deal.

Kenshiro said:
The TI-4600 is a very good card. Just overclock it a little bit and I am sure it will last you at least another 6 months. Be a little patient. Personally, I think an upgrad from the 4600 to the 5900 non ultra is not much of an upgrade. But if you can find one price way below $200, maybe you should jump on that deal.

Yea, there is a 5900 nu at newegg.com right now for $189. I'd still wait though. Me want nv40 or r420 (whichever's better)! :D

Last edited:
blurry said:
there's only a month before new cards come out

New cards came out last month ;) Well, at least for ATi they did. But i doubt anything new will be coming out before January, or even durring January

This thread is making me worry too much:drool: :cry: :bang head
Last question! Should I upgrade my 4600 to 9800pro. or wait......:mad: Overclcoking is not helping and my friend is going to get a 5900ultra. :eek:

Don't be scurr'd....

I am going to wait. I want to be able to play HL2/Doom3/etc @ 1600x1200 w/ all eyecandy maxed. That's why I'm waiting. Currently, I don't think the 9800xt will be capable to handle all quality settings maxed @ that high a res. I could be completely wrong. I want the best performance, that's why I'm waiting.

If you really want the upgrade now, by all means, the 9800's are the greatest thing around right now. The BBA 9800 non pro is only $199 at Circuit City here in Phoenix. There are a lot of great deals out there atm. If you want a great card RIGHT NOW, go w/ a 9800 np (hopefully w/ 3.3ns Sammy mem) or pro 128. Those are going to be your best performance/quality for your money.

p!ktu]2e_1 said:
This thread is making me worry too much:drool: :cry: :bang head
Last question! Should I upgrade my 4600 to 9800pro. or wait......:mad: Overclcoking is not helping and my friend is going to get a 5900ultra. :eek:

Wait and then when you get your new card and doom III and Hl2 are out u can laugh at your friend and his giant paper weight as he tried to play with 10FPS while u fly at over 50FPS on your new card that u waited for :D

Last edited:
Mr.Guvernment said:

Wait and then when you get your new card and doom II and Hl2 are you u can laugh at your friend and his giant paper weight as he tried to play with 10FPS while u fly at over 50FPS on your new card that uw aited for :D

YES!!!!

i would certainyl wait - your friend maybe able to brag rihgt now fdor todays games, but then when tomorrows games come out - he has nothing and will be off to spend MORE money on a new card.

i am very into future planning when i buy something - i know, tomorrows games are not even out yet - but fact is when they are i wont have problems playing them,, or less likely then someone who runs out and buys a card right now.

Mr.Guvernment said:
i would certainyl wait - your friend maybe able to brag rihgt now fdor todays games, but then when tomorrows games come out - he has nothing and will be off to spend MORE money on a new card.

i am very into future planning when i buy something - i know, tomorrows games are not even out yet - but fact is when they are i wont have problems playing them,, or less likely then someone who runs out and buys a card right now.

Yup, and while your waiting for tomorrow's games to come out, you can play today's games w/ every setting you can imagine on high while your waiting. :D And then you can laugh meniachally when your friends can only play their games @ 1280x1024... =P

I need advice. Should I buy a 9800 pro now:rolleyes: and then build a entirely new computer later on next year ? I'm talking about Prescott, PCI-Xpress...

...or...

New mobo new ram for Christmas:rolleyes:......and just wait for the R420. I heard that r420 w/pcixpress is not even gonna come out 'till q4 of 2004:( Is this true?

Yea, the r423 (PCI Express version of the r420) won't come out till later (I think). I wouldn't limit yourself to an ATi card only. I'm thinking nVidia might make a decent run at the crown w/ their next gen dx9.1 cards. Hopefully they won't get too cocky and ditch any development meetings MS is holding for dx9.1. Hopefully nv won't disappoint... again. XGI is also releasing a dual GPU card pretty soon too. I don't have much stock in XGI atm, since they said their card matches up well with the r9800 pros. 9800 won't be the best for very long (r420 or nv40 will see to that)!!!

Upgrading is really up to you... Judging from your sig, you're not hurting too baddly right now. Not a bad rig! :) You could just go w/ a new one later on when PCI Ex becomes standard. I'm speculating that the new mobo's that support the PCI Ex will support SATA 2.0 (300 mb/sec) and possibly be able to run pc3500 @ stock speed w/o upping your RAM fsb, not to mention offering up Prescott support!

There are certain benefits to waiting! ;)

Back