• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No gigabyte

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
According to a couple of guys who have been using this board since it came into the market, there are two main problems...the constant reboot and the inability to come out of sleep 100% of the time.

- All recommend disabling the CPU PLL Overvoltage option. It tends to fix both issues
- When you update your BIOS (F3b seems to be the best), press ALT-F12 at boot to backup the new BIOS and overwrite the old backup. This seems to fix some people's problems with the constant reboot / power cycle

I have been leaning back and forth between gigabyte and asus, but Asus won. I think a small part of the motherboard appeal is aesthetics, and Black n Red pull the eyes more than Green and Black to me

But with the f3 you can't have the pll over voltage and without the over voltage it won't let me over 4.4 so I didn't really have the choice to have it disabled
I know it only does the reboot when I have it past 4.4

I have been leaning back and forth between gigabyte and asus, but Asus won. I think a small part of the motherboard appeal is aesthetics, and Black n Red pull the eyes more than Green and Black to me

Sorry just wanted to say that's only in the top-end boards. The Asus ROG series (Maximus, Crosshair, Rampage) are using red and black schemes now but a lot of Asus boards are blue and the sabretooth boards are sort of an earth tone.

Gigabyte uses green and black on the 'Assassin' series X58 gamer boards. Their P67 line is mostly just black with a couple of accents here and there.

The only time I would ever touch a Gigabyte board is to use one as a shooting target. I've had about 6 Gigabyte boards and only 2 haven't failed. 3 of them were DOA and the rest died within 2 months of purchase.

The only time I would ever touch a Gigabyte board is to use one as a shooting target. I've had about 6 Gigabyte boards and only 2 haven't failed. 3 of them were DOA and the rest died within 2 months of purchase.

what was your experience dealing with gigabyte support?

Nothing wrong with gigabyte.

As you can see people are always willing to share their horror stories, and some, STILL, are more passionate than others about it. Bottom line is, giga is a good brand, so is Asus and you cant go wrong with either. Dont let the people who have a a bad experience or two, who are always more vocal than the happy crowd, sway your decision. Note, Im not minimizing what happened to them, Im sure its real. But you just dont see threads pop up like, "OH MY I JUST LVOE MY NEW GIGA BOARD" vs how easy it is to post a complaint thread.

If giga really had a problem, it would be more than a thread here and there with essentially the same people chiming in on it constantly.

I'm going to stick with the UD4 for at least a week and see how it treats me. If I have serious problems or concerns, then I'll return it and probably pick up a P8P67 Pro. The MSI P67 boards are catching my eye, but I think I'll give ASUS a try next.

As you can see people are always willing to share their horror stories, and some, STILL, are more passionate than others about it. Bottom line is, giga is a good brand, so is Asus and you cant go wrong with either. Dont let the people who have a a bad experience or two, who are always more vocal than the happy crowd, sway your decision. Note, Im not minimizing what happened to them, Im sure its real. But you just dont see threads pop up like, "OH MY I JUST LVOE MY NEW GIGA BOARD" vs how easy it is to post a complaint thread.

If giga really had a problem, it would be more than a thread here and there with essentially the same people chiming in on it constantly.

well said :)

This is a help forum so horror stories is something that is expected.While I do pay attention to all who are kind enough to take the time and trouble to post their experience, I do try to put it in perspective. While I do know a lot of gigabyte board's are being used for AMD computers, while I was browsing overclocking's Intel forum – I couldn't find any listings about any

Gerald was building an AMD rig and he was using one of those coolers that is the size of a semi truck – which is why I am going to a closed loop water system that uses a push-pull fan system with ghetto sleeves. He proceeded to accidentally drop the cooler on the board but he could see no damage. He explained that to gigabyte and yet they sent him a new board. I think it is the luck of the draw or if the representative is smiling or pissed off as to the service you get. I pay attention to things like that also.

I am on a fixed-income plus I have the expense of my grandchildren and great-grandchildren – so this will take me three months to accumulate. If I was to change my mind, it would be solely on features. These guys around here are having too good of luck with their AMD gigabyte boards for me to dismiss gigabyte that easily.
I want to thank each and every one that has posted here for all of these threads have been a big help.
Thank you
ancient

these gigabyte boards will be fixed with bios updates...if it were me id contact tech support with the problems and ask them to pass the info on to the bios team....
new hardware buyers have to expect some glitches...seldome does a launch come out bug free...giga is real good with bios updates tho.....

these gigabyte boards will be fixed with bios updates...if it were me id contact tech support with the problems and ask them to pass the info on to the bios team....
new hardware buyers have to expect some glitches...seldome does a launch come out bug free...giga is real good with bios updates tho.....

i have the latest bios aand have tested every set of beta bios still same issues
and its not worth my time to get b3 revision because they didnt fix the issue with them

I love my gigy mobo. OCs like a champ. Not fond of the blue theme but its not hiddious, just doesnt match the rest of my black/red theme. No issues other than coming out of sleep and thats only when i have a bad oc. few issues ive come across like the front panel connectons, the wires need modding to get a long card in the lower slot.

Lots of venders resell broken parts hoping the end-user wont notice. EB games/gamestop is a classic example of reselling old/openbox/broken stuff as new. That many broken items is a clear sign that they are knowing shipping bad product imo.

what was your experience dealing with gigabyte support?

I've never dealt with them. I always took the faulty boards back to the shop I bought them from for a replacement. The boards I had problems with were all socket A and AM2. Maybe their quality control has been improved in recent years.

My P67A-UD4-B3 is good enough. The bios layout for OCing I do not like, I much prefer the Asus method of everything on one page.
Gigabyte's tendency to have two places for memory multipliers, memory timings accessed from a different page, still another page for voltage, and then the MIT Current Settings on the top drives me nuts, as does the fact that it's nearly impossible to leave the current settings page sometimes.

That said, the board itself works great, it's just the bios that is annoying to me.

Previous gigabyte boards I've used have been the same deal, annoying bios great boards.

Good to know Bobnova and thanks for the thoughts on the board. Mine should be arriving tomorrow, but my EK block won't be arriving until the end of the week. I'll get results up as soon as I can...I can't wait.

My P67A-UD4-B3 is good enough. The bios layout for OCing I do not like, I much prefer the Asus method of everything on one page.
Gigabyte's tendency to have two places for memory multipliers, memory timings accessed from a different page, still another page for voltage, and then the MIT Current Settings on the top drives me nuts, as does the fact that it's nearly impossible to leave the current settings page sometimes.

That said, the board itself works great, it's just the bios that is annoying to me.

Previous gigabyte boards I've used have been the same deal, annoying bios great boards.

It is things like this, is why a friend of mine that lives in California (2000 miles away but we communicate by WebCam) is trying to get me to make a couple of changes in my choices. The first one he feels is not really that important and that is the CPU, he feels that for my needs the 2500 K would be a better choice than the 2600 K but as he said "if it makes you feel better then go right ahead and get the 2600 K.

The second thing he brought up was power supplies, he feels that I will get cleaner power plus I will get a better warranty with the Ultra X4 Modular Power Supply than I would with the Corsair. But he said the Corsair would be just fine but is not as modular and I will have one cord that I will have to rollup and tuck away.

He said the one thing that he does worry about is that at my age when things tend to get complicated that I may become confused. He realizes this will be my last build and he wants it to go as smoothly as possible. He feels that the bios in the gigabyte is far too complicated whereas the Asus is just a matter of throwing two switches. He also stated that if i get confused while trying to wire the board up, he would not have an example to go by and could not use the WebCam to actually show me the connection's.

After spending four days googling and doing other research, on a problem I am now having with the XPS 400 only showing one core in Windows task manager and Cpuid saying it only has one core. I am now realizing that I am not as sharp as I once was and I am ready to ask for help with it, so I am thinking that perhaps it would be prudent to go along with his request.

Operating on a single core is really killing Dragon Naturally Speaking, it is now lagging real bad. When we talk again I will ask him if he can help me on this.

Heh, and Im struggling now with Asus who cannot seem to find my motherboard which they received according to tracking on 4/20...

(see how easy it is to *****? :p)

Back