• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Pictures of A Dead Delta Fan and It's Internal Parts █ NO 56K-TONS OF PICS █

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
Pictures of A Dead Delta Fan and It's Internal Parts █ NO 56K-TONS OF PICS █

-​

Pictures of a dead industrial high speed fan Delta FFB1212EHE. :cry:

Got it from a friend, there was an accident caused by a big screw driver dropped straight into the fan when it was rotating at full speed inside a HP Proliant server. :bang head

Two of the blades gone instantly. :shock:

picture.php

Looks like someone was trying to dismantle it by prying the circuit board from the fan hub "brutally". :(
Actually the "right" way to disassemble a ball bearing fan is quite easy, just by taking off that little black clip at the middle of the shaft. Watch that small little black clip detached and placed near the center of the hub.

picture.php

The other side of the fan, without the impeller, a 4 poles stator.

picture.php

The fan's frame with all it's internal parts detached.

picture.php

The impeller, with the small spring at the bottom of the shaft for holding back the ball bearing (not pictured here).

picture.php

The inner view of the impeller, the outer plastic blades part is attached firmly to the big steel frame, and covered internally with the thick black magnet circle, also the embedded brass ring at the center to hold the shaft.

picture.php

The other side of the impeller, a nice and strong bond between the metal body, brass ring and the steel shaft.

picture.php

The view of the front ball bearing and with the small black clip detached, looks eerie. :(

picture.php

Two ball bearings and the clip. Yep, if you can read the small label text at the right one, they're made by NMB, which is also a well known fan manufacturer, formerly called Panaflo.

picture.php

The darkened area inside the brass tube is the 1st bearing location.

picture.php

The 2nd location for the 2nd bearing at the other side in the brass tube.

picture.php

Positions of the two bearings at the shaft when installed.

picture.php

With the securing clip installed to show the very simple yet effective locking mechanism for the impeller to the fan's frame. All ball bearing fans are secured and locked like this.

picture.php

The main board, you don't need to be an electronic guru to recognize this high speed PWM fan (4 wires) does have many electronic parts there. Ordinary 2 or even 3 wires classic fan usually have much-much less components, hence its way cheaper than their 4 wires brethren.

picture.php

The other side, 4 poles with the copper windings, there are two big high power transistors under the stator and few other components. Fyi, most low powered 3 wires fan doesn't have many component installed at this side of the board, usually only a piece of component called the hall sensor.

picture.php

The power transistor, a high power mosfet P type and made by IRF with part number -> IRF9530N, both are identical.

For those who understand electronic, its obvious from this mosfet alone, this fan can not be properly undervolted to slow it down, as they will not work properly when the supplied fan's voltage is at relatively low like 5 volt, like driven from common voltage control fan controller.
PWM control signal through the pwm wire is the only way to control the speed properly and efficiently for this kind of fan, mosfet needs proper volt to work.

picture.php

Final pic, so which part of this dead fan can be useful ?
Ok, this should be easy, a nice and strong 38mm thick fan shroud. :D :bday:

picture.php

Thats all, hope you enjoy this pictorial.

to look at the bright side...
you have a nice pair of ball bearings as a spare-part :D

Thanks for the tour!

I'm interested to see that it's only a four poll stator, the nidecs I have are eight I think.

Really nice pics, and nice tour! One question: I thought the FFC was the PWM version of this fan - I have two FFB1212EHE and both have 3-pin connectors. Is this a special model of the FFB?

Bobnova said:
I'm interested to see that it's only a four poll stator, the nidecs I have are eight I think.
Nidecs have ten and San Aces twelve lol :D I'm pretty sure my AFCs have four pole stators, but they aren't nearly as powerful as the FF series.

to look at the bright side...
you have a nice pair of ball bearings as a spare-part :D

Actually I'm more interested with the smd components than that bearings, some of them can be really useful when needed. :D

Thanks for the tour!

Really nice pics, and nice tour! One question: I thought the FFC was the PWM version of this fan - I have two FFB1212EHE and both have 3-pin connectors. Is this a special model of the FFB?

Nidecs have ten and San Aces twelve lol :D I'm pretty sure my AFCs have four pole stators, but they aren't nearly as powerful as the FF series.

Yeah, more poles usually more efficient, but needs much more complex electronic, high manucfacturing cost in precision winding those small stator, and also requires a highly precision timing in the electronic design in firing up those multi poles stator to give the right torque at the rotating magnet at the impeller. This is complex stuff. :chair:

Btw, do you still other shots of that san ace's stator, I love the one you've posted in the pwm controller thread. :thup:

@Dave, yeah, this is quite strange, I noticed this as well, infact its my 1st finding that this FFB is a PWM instead of normal naming scheme using FFC.

Hey bing, where is the pwm sense wire on that pcb? I see the other 3, but didn't see the pwm sense wire.

That pwm wire is the yellow one, if you take a close look at the wires, its missing the red one which is the +12 volt power rail. It is missing during when it was vandalized. :-/

Here a closer look ...

The missing red wire solder point, looks like it was pulled till it snapped there.

19. 4th wire location Front.jpg

The other side of the pcb, the location of the red wire solder joint.

Also it is interesting for those who understand when looking at the red wire trace at the pcb, its the main +12 volt trace and it has the protection diodes installed at both side, the two black thingy at the top side at above pic, and the small one at bottom side pointed by the arrow, with these, the fan will not burned down if it was accidentally connected with the wrong polarity for the pos and neg wires. :thup:

20. 4th wire location Back.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks bing, I knew that one of the wires was missing. And I remember having an old 60 mm Delta black label fan that actually used a blue wire for power, but that was back last century. :D It's too bad they vandalized it so badly. It would have been fun to experiment with, like swapping out the rotor from another Delta design or something. I wonder what the rotor assembly off my 120 x 38 Delta 3 blade would do installed on that motor.:rofl:

You're getting older Mud, its still red one for pos rail, btw, I believe both of us had lived thru that old oc-ing era, just for you since you mentioned it, presenting the legendary delta black label screamer for nostalgia. LOL.. :D

Btw, do you still have it ? Yeah, I'm a compulsive hoarder. :chair:

8K Black Delta Screamer.jpg

Switching rotor should be fun, but unfortunately the opportunity is scarce.

Bing, I think I posted all the photos I have of the San Ace. I was wrong about the Nidec though - it also has 12 stator poles, not 10 as I originally thought, and there are screws securing the PCB to the fan frame. I think I'll take it apart later today and share some pics :D

No, I think I gave it (or sold it) to Reefa with a sale of a heatsink or something of that nature. Even though I presently have fans even more annoying than it now, it was just sitting around in the way. I don't know what I would use a 60 mm screamer for nowadays. And to think that back in the day of that fan, 60 mm fan heatsinks were actually tier 1 coolers. I used it on some Alpha heatsink I had at the time.

the 60m era predates me a bit BUT I do recall owning 2 or 3 80mm delta screamers and could not stand them. Finally pawned them off to a buddy for a morgan build out which we happily overclocked the living crap out of.

Regardless of it being a 4 pole design that delta motor is one hefty beast. It would def be fun to use it to test some fan ideas. I know wonder what would happen if i attached my 360mm blades on that badboy. Although im sure that even if it did fit on that delta motor it would probably snap these clear acrylic blades in a min or less.

I've taken a couple more photos of the San Ace PCB - it really is dizzying like you said, bing :D Maybe we should make this the "pics of dismantled fans" thread :attn:

Click this pic for full size (1MB jpg, 3492x2355)

Another part of the PCB

2smw.jpg

And a small image showing the Nidec BetaV 450 and the San Ace monster (which started this thread), both with very intricate and complicated 12 pole stators:

savsnidec.jpg

Last edited:
MMM naked fans :D

very interesting stuff. I didn't realize the level of complexity that they had put into these fans. I bet if you wrote the code to go with it, that you could really easily control these fans to do a more surged cooling style. It would defeat the purpose of being quite. But The level of the components look like they could withstand the abuse. It might be benificial for avoiding some of the skimming effects of air as it builds up to increase drag over heatsinks.

I didn't realize the level of complexity that they had put into these fans.

The irritating part is that they're just fans. All they do is push air. And yet they have to be complex as well. I'd enjoy working on small things like this and get the satisfaction of getting them working again, but these days its cheaper to get new ones then the time cost it takes to fix it.

Great photo's though! Interesting views into things seldom seen.

Last edited:
Yeah they are pretty much the same build and setup as a lot of CNC stepping motor setups, they just aren't balanced for precision movements, They are balanced to carry a certain amount of momentum, like a flywheel.

Wow Bing. Nice job on taking it apart. I had NO idea that fans were this complex!! :eek: I've never owned a delta fan before, but I did have the old Vantec Tornado! Man that thing was LOUD. I just sold it last week here on the forums. I'll miss it. I swear it could make itself hover. All I had to do was just hold it a bit above the ground :D

I've taken a couple more photos of the San Ace PCB - it really is dizzying like you said, bing :D Maybe we should make this the "pics of dismantled fans" thread :attn:

This is actually a really good idea. :thup:

Actually by seeing the fan build structures, this will give us an idea how good the quality of each fan model or manufacturer.

Again, thank you so much for those beautiful shots, looks so nice. :clap:

To others, please, if you have any of those dead fan, please share it here.

Back