• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I may have just made a £300 paperweight...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mad_pc_man

Hi,
I took the stock HSF off my 6950 today and put on an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II. In the final stages, I pushed too hard on a VRM and heard something crack. I thought nothing of it until the PC wouldn't boot. After taking a closer look, I have cracked the VRM.

Is there any way to replace/repair the damage or have I made a £300 paperweight? Anyone know if ASUS (manufacturer) can replace/repair it if I can't (any idea on cost too?)

Pictures:
Thanks,
mad_pc_man

if they don't RMA they could be able to fix it. if you are very handy and have a pretty decent soldering iron you could try yourself.

thats a big boo boo thou, feel sorry for ya

You can try, but I believe in most cases removing the heatsink voids the warranty. You can ask if there's any way they'll replace it for a price though.
It's true - the warranty is probably void. Around here it's considered dishonest to try to RMA something after you've voided the warranty. It puts the burden for your mistake on the manufacturer unfairly. Asking if you can pay to have it repaired is the best way to do it.

It's true - the warranty is probably void. Around here it's considered dishonest to try to RMA something after you've voided the warranty. It puts the burden for your mistake on the manufacturer unfairly. Asking if you can pay to have it repaired is the best way to do it.
I had forgotten about the old removal of heatsink. My bad:chair:

I'll show ya the "I just made a high dollar paperweight" handshake later. Welcome to the club bro!

Does your decision change morally/ethically if the component dies/fails based on a manufacturing flaw, completely unrelated to the action you took that actually voided the warranty ?

edit: by "your", i mean everyone

Last edited:
Morally speaking corporations function on limited utilitarianism. Which means whatever is best for the shareholders is ethical. This turns out to be grossly unethical and results in unethical practices. If we take in account Kant's retributivism then we stop to think: If they function in a limited utilitarian way...that means it is ok for us to function in that way towards them. I interpret it to mean "do unto others as they have DONE unto you." long story short do whatever is best for your pocket book when dealing with corporations. If they will give you a new one take it. they have invariably screwed over thousands of people for manufacturers flaws. If you get 2 cards for the price of one, bully for you. The markup is probably 10 to one. This is still a net gain for them anyway.

I've done the same thing with my 6970 its now a paper weight lol

I feel your pain. Once I knocked an entire cup of water sideways into my open case while the system was running. I've also shorted out a mobo by placing it on the side of a metal case.

Definitely dead.

However: Asus does Out Of Warranty repairs for parts cost + labor, IMO it is very worthwhile to talk to them (use the phone or chat if they have one) about it.
The warranty is shot obviously, but that doesn't mean Asus won't fix it for you it just means they'll charge you if they do.

I didn't think that removal of the HS voided warranty. I was instructed to ensure my stock HS was on before I RMA'd my matrix 580. other than that I don't think removing it voids it. but I rarely read them since anything I do usually voids it anyways.

although with my matrix is just died in daily use.

Morally speaking corporations function on limited utilitarianism. Which means whatever is best for the shareholders is ethical. This turns out to be grossly unethical and results in unethical practices. If we take in account Kant's retributivism then we stop to think: If they function in a limited utilitarian way...that means it is ok for us to function in that way towards them. I interpret it to mean "do unto others as they have DONE unto you." long story short do whatever is best for your pocket book when dealing with corporations. If they will give you a new one take it. they have invariably screwed over thousands of people for manufacturers flaws. If you get 2 cards for the price of one, bully for you. The markup is probably 10 to one. This is still a net gain for them anyway.
Let's keep this simple: don't be an jerk. I don't care if Kant tells you you can be a jerk; only a jerk would tell you to do that. :)

If you break it - not due to a manufacturer's flaw, but because of YOU - it's not ok to RMA it. Anyone promoting a different philosophy won't last long around here.

Back