• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS X99 Deluxe Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

ASUS is usually one of the first manufacturers to market when a new platform is released, and that continues to be the case with the Haswell-E/X99 release. At first look, the ASUS X99 Deluxe looks about as packed with features as I've ever seen on a motherboard. In fact, ASUS claims this motherboard is their most feature-rich enthusiast offering to date.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Wow. A good day to be Dino. Nice review, well done.

Just for grins, if you get tired of the board and CPU cluttering up your work space I'll take them off your hands.....say $200, right now, no questions asked.

No, no, no....don't thank me now.......:D

What I like about LGA 2011-V3 is you can use the same cooler that you used on the X79 motherboard. :)

Sadly, I can already guess that those extra OC pins will be fully disabled in a microcode update from Intel soon.

I hope to be wrong, but... :-/

I'd want to see if that oc socket is actually worth it. Also concerned about the lack of additional mobo power.

Sadly, I can already guess that those extra OC pins will be fully disabled in a microcode update from Intel soon.

I hope to be wrong, but... :-/
As long as Intel doesn't burn the links out somehow, it should be possible to defeat the microcode changes by a hacked reverse update.

Looks like these OC sockets may help almost only in memory overclocking as max CPU clocks are about the same on boards with standard sockets and MVE. I bet it still depends from CPUs and we will see more results in some time when sponsored overclockers will show their best samples.

x99-Deluxe shroud removal for VRM

Can anyone please explain how to remove the backplate shroud on VRM heatsinks?

Back shroud looks like a bad idea as it is also blocked by 1st Grey DRAM slot. VRM would probably get better air flow without it!

Thanks,
Frank

It's held on by screws you need to access from the back of the motherboard.

It's held on by screws you need to access from the back of the motherboard.

Thanks Lvcoyote! Can't believe I had to take out the whole motherboard to remove that shroud.

The VRM is cooler in almost every use case. Every little bit helps to reduce the overall case temperature and improve stability.

Regards,
Frank

I'd want to see if that oc socket is actually worth it. Also concerned about the lack of additional mobo power.
for the cpu or Pcie area?

As far as removing that shroud, not sure why as I'm sure it works as is.. but the logic that it would keep the case cooler I'm.not sure I follow. Let's assume that shroud was a problem, wouldn't the heatsink dump more heat into the case since it works more efficiently without it?

Last edited:
for the cpu or Pcie area?

As far as removing that shroud, not sure why as I'm sure it works as is.. but the logic that it would keep the case cooler I'm.not sure I follow. Let's assume that shroud was a problem, wouldn't the heatsink dump more heat into the case since it works more efficiently without it?

True. But ICs dissipate more heat (non linear) as temperatures increase (bad air flow). So I think ICs would have less internal losses which would mean less heat outside the chip to dissipate in the heatsink and the ambient air. Most important thing is too keep the main ICs in the system cool so that they are not operating around the maxim junction temperature.

I guess best way to find out is to try removing the shroud and see if it makes a different for your rig. Trying to figure out the math and thermal modeling for your case would be too tough for me!

Regards,
Frank

You are giving the internal losses way too much weight. They work fine as is. It may or may not work negligibly better. To what end though?

I'm interested in the results. :)

Back