• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom ii X6 1045T (non BE) OC opinion ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^Deneb gets better stabillity with HT around 2000MHz. THuban gets better stability with HT matching NB.
Both are PhenomII's.

Edit: see Dolk's guide to PhenomIIs http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Edit2: didn't mean to be rude, just extremely tired with 6 hrs sleep over 3 nights, lol!

I don't see anything in that guide which lends credence to your theory. Not to mention the THUBAN B.E. section was written early on in its release history and there were still versions of the Thuban that weren't even on the market yet!

Not to mention I've built countless Thuban systems with HT link at 2000-2200 and the NB at 3000 with zero stability issues. I've also benchmarked both configurations: with the HT @ 3000 and with the HT @ 2000 and found no real gains to be had with the HT running that high. I guess if you want to match them up because you read a contradictory and conflicting report in an early overclocking guide go right ahead.

I don't see anything in that guide which lends credence to your theory. Not to mention the THUBAN B.E. section was written early on in its release history and there were still versions of the Thuban that weren't even on the market yet!

Not to mention I've built countless Thuban systems with HT link at 2000-2200 and the NB at 3000 with zero stability issues. I've also benchmarked both configurations: with the HT @ 3000 and with the HT @ 2000 and found no real gains to be had with the HT running that high. I guess if you want to match them up because you read a contradictory and conflicting report in an early overclocking guide go right ahead.

Essentially true but the HT Link can also be limited by the quality of motherboard electronics and this is true even with Thubans. Some motherboards will not let you clock the HT Link even Steven with the CPUNB. And even with the Denebs you can see variation in what tthey will tolerate as far as overclocking the HT Link from board to board and be stable. But what's the point since there is no performance gain.

I played a lot with my Deneb (got only one, 955BE): best stability I got was with HT between 2000 and 2150MHz (max stable NB was 2780MHz/1.35v IIRC). It was getting unstable as soon as HT was higher than 2150MHz.

I borrowed a Thuban BE for a week. On the exact same rig (just swapping CPU's), I got the best stability with the HT matching the NB. Above 4GHz, with an HT link 200MHz or more below NB, the system was getting unstable (freeze followed by BSOD). So, best I could get was HT2800/NB3000.

That took me quite a while to catch, thinking this CPU would behave the same as my 955. I found the info (HT matchin or as close as possible as NB) on a Thuban OC'ing guide. Thought it was the Dolk's one, but obviously not;)

Edit: and yes, as you say, I got zero perf improvement upping the HT link. That was only for stability purpose.

Edit2: I linked the wrong Dolk's guide. Here is the good one http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-phenom/
"Thuban Overclocking Help

On a side note, I did mention that the HTT will be used a lot more with Thuban. For some reason, Thubans like to have the HTT just as high as the CPU-NB. It often creates a much more stable environment if you do this. But, on the other hand, it may not work at all. From what I have learned, the HTT likes to stay with the CPU-NB up to 2800 – 3000 MHz. If you go above this, you may want to lower the HTT back down between 2200 – 2400 MHz.
"

Last edited:
Essentially true but the HT Link can also be limited by the quality of motherboard electronics and this is true even with Thubans. Some motherboards will not let you clock the HT Link even Steven with the CPUNB. And even with the Denebs you can see variation in what tthey will tolerate as far as overclocking the HT Link from board to board and be stable.
Yes I see your point, there will always be some systems which don't respond in kind like the vast majority, but for now I am assuming these "best practices" regarding NB and HT speeds with all quality control issues aside.

On a side note, I did mention that the HTT will be used a lot more with Thuban. For some reason, Thubans like to have the HTT just as high as the CPU-NB. It often creates a much more stable environment if you do this. But, on the other hand, it may not work at all. From what I have learned, the HTT likes to stay with the CPU-NB up to 2800 – 3000 MHz. If you go above this, you may want to lower the HTT back down between 2200 – 2400 MHz."

Yes this is the contradictory quote I was thinking of as well. If you read this in context you will see, that while Dolk has quite a skill and provides great documentation for fellow users, the research was early on in the history of the Thuban and he goes on to explain that the "jury is still out" so to speak:

"But, on the other hand, it may not work at all"

"There is a bit of mystery surrounding this phenomenon, of which I hope to figure out soon."

General theory and practice as of now, 4 years after that quote and now that overclocking methods have been honed thoroughly, is to keep your HT as close to the stock 2000 mhz as possible, whether it be with the Thuban or Denab cores.

^That's 2 years old, not 4 (2//22/2011).

I believe at this time, "overclocking methods have been honed thoroughly"already ...

Edit: StormChaser, do you want to prove your point, or do you want to help the OP? If first option, we could go on an endless disussion, with no positive output, neither for you or me. If second option, maybe the OP could try a higher HTT, as suggested by Dolk...

Last edited:
^That's 2 years old, not 4 (2//22/2011).

I believe at this time, "overclocking methods have been honed thoroughly"already ...

Edit: StormChaser, do you want to prove your point, or do you want to help the OP? If first option, we could go on an endless disussion, with no positive output, neither for you or me. If second option, maybe the OP could try a higher HTT, as suggested by Dolk...

I understand Dork's method had worked for your system and I hope you can understand the opposite has worked on my system and countless others of similar form. For a couple months at the beginning I even had both NB and HT running fine at 3000, so either way may work out for the OP.

Lets agree to end this madness and let the OP overclock his rig.

Last edited:
storm-chaser, i lowered the HT Link to 2100mhz . The next lower selectable value is 1800 (because of the fsb@300), is it a better choice ?

Then I raised the NB Freq. to 2700mhz, I needed to add 0.1v to the CPU and CPU NB to be able to run prime95 during at least 15min with no error . But at this point, CPU hit 60°C and cores 53°C , so i stopped it and went back to 2400.
I will launch 2hrs of prime95 with HT Link to 2100mhz and NB Freq. to 2400mhz next days (which seems ok with just +0.050v cpu and +0.025 NB vid) to really test the stability.

another question: what about the "NB Voltage Control" parameter in the bios (sreenshot in post #15) , Do i have to overvolt it too ?

thanks to everyone taking time to provide the best options !

Last edited:
storm-chaser, i lowered the HT Link to 2100mhz . The next lower selectable value is 1800 (because of the fsb@300), is it a better choice ?

Then I raised the NB Freq. to 2700mhz, I needed to add 0.1v to the CPU and CPU NB to be able to run prime95 during at least 15min with no error . But at this point, CPU hit 60°C and cores 53°C , so i stopped it and went back to 2400.
I will launch 2hrs of prime95 with HT Link to 2100mhz and NB Freq. to 2400mhz next days (which seems ok with just +0.050v cpu and +0.025 NB vid) to really test the stability.

another question: what about the "NB Voltage Control" parameter in the bios (sreenshot in post #15) , Do i have to overvolt it too ?

thanks to everyone taking time to provide the best options !
NB voltage control is Northbridge chipset voltage (not to be confused with CPU NB voltage, the two are separate). You can try bumping up the NB little bit for stability. Maybe 1.20-1.25v for now. You can check stability again if you wish just remember, under normal usage conditions, your computer will likely never come close to the temps and strains that it endures when running prime.

HT link is fine at 2100mhz. Now focus again on getting your NB up. I think your system may even be stable with your NB at 2700mhz. Instead of running prime, just try this: Boot into windows, play your games or render your videos and add a few more tasks to the list to simulate actual usage. Then see if you get a crash or freeze up. You may also be able to set a shutdown temp in the bios as an added safeguard.

Back