• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD "Black" Performance Hard Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soichiro

I've been using exclusively WD hard drives for a long time (I have 5 in or attached to my PC right now, the oldest of which is over 7 years old) and want to keep using them in my next PC. I'm looking to get an entirely new PC soon and in looking at hard drives, I noticed these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

WD claims that the "Black" series provides higher performance than the "Blue" series, but I don't see what actually makes the Black drive worth $25 more. They have the same RPM, cache size, etc.

Does anyone happen to have experience with these or know if the Black drives are actually worth the extra money? Or is it just a marketing gimmick and I should get the Blue drive instead and save money? (As a note, I'm planning on getting 3 and placing them in RAID 0.)

the black should have faster read and write speeds and also a longer warranty. hmm i just looked at some hdtune runs and the that single platter blue doesnt look and slower.
Black has 5yr warranty blue has 2 yr. The black is a bit faster in crystaldiskmark. I am unsure of which is noisier.

Last edited:
Well, the biggest thing, that would set the "Blue" and "Black" series apart would be warranty: 2 years for Blue and 5 years for Black, quite a difference. Also, if you look up hard drive reviews, it is likely, that you will find, that the "Black" series perform better despite specifications being the same. This could be due to factors like use of better parts (which may explain longer warranty), or more advanced technologies implemented in hardware or firmware of the drive.

The Blues have only a two year warranty; the Blacks, five. Reports I've seen say the 1TB Blues currently are a bit faster than the Blacks. Your choice is a little better speed at a lower price versus 2.5 times the warranty. I personally prefer the longer warranty, which suggests the drive may be more reliable, and can afford to pay the extra.

Why do you want to put them in RAID 0? My 2TB Blacks aren't Raided and still open files at lightning speed.

The RAID 0 is for performance mostly, as all the benchmarks do still show large performance increases when adding RAID 0 even on SATA 6Gb/s. It's also partly because I've run into issues in the past where I would have one hard drive fill up before the others, then get annoyed by trying to figure out which files to move, etc., so it's a bit easier for me as well having it all as one "virtual" hard drive.

Granted, RAID 0 will dramatically improve the performance of spinners. But, do you really need that much performance from storage drives. One downside of RAID 0 is, if one drive tanks, you will lose all of your data. How were you planning on backing up such a large volume? Also, keep in mind, benchmarks don't always reflect real life performance. Cutting, say, an access time of one second 50% probably would be barely noticeable.

Putting the three drives in a library (assuming you're running Win 7) will give you a single directory of all your drives. I don't understand why you are concerned about filling all three drives at the same rate. Just keep adding data to one drive until it's 80-90% full (it's always a good idea to leave a bit of headroom), then start saving data to the second drive. When it nears filling up, move to the third drive.

Another question that should have been asked: Are you putting the OS on these drives?

Last edited:
Mm, that's true. My alternative option would be get an extra drive and do RAID 0+1. That or just do 3 plain drives. And yes, the OS would be on these drives.

Mmmh, if you need performance, go for a large SSD like 256GB. OS, programms and some files should fit there without a problem.
Personally I don't see the point of owning "fast" drives for like 1 TB storage drives. And I'd prefer the black over the blue for already mentioned reasons. Warranty does it for me here.

edit: if your OS is going to be there, grab a SSD, at least 64GB just for the OS. Never saw such a great improvement in performance than in swapping an HDD for a SSD as OS drive.

Hmm. Okay, taking everyone's comments into consideration, I think I will end up going for a 60GB SSD for the OS, then using the 3 TB drives without RAID. Thanks everyone for the comments!

60GB for the OS might be crowding it a bit, especially if you have any large programs. My OS takes up 54GB and you do want to have a bit of head room over that. A 128GB SSD would be better. If you can afford it, I would suggest the Samsung 128GB 840 Pro (not the regular 840).

256gb feels like a decent size nowadays. I am satisfied with my 840pro i just bought a couple weeks ago. It sux that my SATA 2 cuts performance in half, even though it means nothing for real world performance.

For just the os 64 is fine. What did you do to get windows to 54gb o_O
I have lot of programs on my SSD so 256gb is it for me. But it's always a matter of money. 1 or 2 games, office, chrome and stuff and 128 suit you as well.

My 2TB WD Black is kind of loud when writing but its rare when it makes a sound and overall its a great drive would recommend them, over seagate who I've heard has crappy customer service.

For just the os 64 is fine. What did you do to get windows to 54gb o_O
I have lot of programs on my SSD so 256gb is it for me. But it's always a matter of money. 1 or 2 games, office, chrome and stuff and 128 suit you as well.

Yeah, I'll probably just be putting Windows, critical apps like antivirus, and maybe Firefox on my SSD. I don't think I'll need more than 64 GB for the SSD.

60GB for the OS might be crowding it a bit, especially if you have any large programs. My OS takes up 54GB and you do want to have a bit of head room over that. A 128GB SSD would be better. If you can afford it, I would suggest the Samsung 128GB 840 Pro (not the regular 840).

Had to put this one first. No OS takes up 54Gb.

Granted, RAID 0 will dramatically improve the performance of spinners. But, do you really need that much performance from storage drives. One downside of RAID 0 is, if one drive tanks, you will lose all of your data. How were you planning on backing up such a large volume? Also, keep in mind, benchmarks don't always reflect real life performance. Cutting, say, an access time of one second 50% probably would be barely noticeable.

Putting the three drives in a library (assuming you're running Win 7) will give you a single directory of all your drives. I don't understand why you are concerned about filling all three drives at the same rate. Just keep adding data to one drive until it's 80-90% full (it's always a good idea to leave a bit of headroom), then start saving data to the second drive. When it nears filling up, move to the third drive.

Another question that should have been asked: Are you putting the OS on these drives?

This hurts my head to read. So your advice is no redundancy, but fill up drives as they come, so if a drive goes, all the data on that drive is gone? Is that really your advice? Think maybe this is a perfect situation for RAID5?

Mm, that's true. My alternative option would be get an extra drive and do RAID 0+1. That or just do 3 plain drives. And yes, the OS would be on these drives.

RAID 10 is for performance with redundancy. I'd like to see you make a case for needing that performance, especially with the OS on SSD.

Yeah, I'll probably just be putting Windows, critical apps like antivirus, and maybe Firefox on my SSD. I don't think I'll need more than 64 GB for the SSD.

60 is plenty for OS and a few apps. Disable hibernation, tweak the page file, disable system restore, done. Make sure after you run all the windows updates you delete everything in the %systemroot%\software distribution\download folder, as well as your temp folder.

And only normal users need AV. I haven't run it for years, no infections. ;)

I've actually been considering RAID 5 as an option but have heard that it can hurt performance quite considerably. Do you have any experience with this/could verify?

I have a 1TB Black from when they first came out god knows how long ago, it has 32mb cache and 33933 hours logged on it :thup: Its not the fastest these days, as it only feed my ssd's @ 100mb/s :D

But imo its pretty reliable, its probably had hundred's of tb's written to it :attn:

Had to put this one first. No OS takes up 54Gb...

Are you calling me a liar? I keep my program folders and user folders (except for the data folders) on the C:/ drive (makes making backups easier). I also kept hibernate activated because that's what my UPS uses to shut down my computer when there is a power failure to avoid losing any work in progress. Since I have 32GB of RAM (I've already peaked at 16GB on occasion and haven't done any video editing yet on this machine, so yes, I do need that much), the hyberfil.sys file takes up 24 GB by itself (and I'll probably increase the default 75% to 100% in the future; I just haven't bothered yet).

...This hurts my head to read. So your advice is no redundancy, but fill up drives as they come, so if a drive goes, all the data on that drive is gone? Is that really your advice?...

And RAID 0 has redundancy? The OP said nothing about using the three HDDs for keeping redundant files. As far as losing a drive goes, that is the purpose of having backups.

...Think maybe this is a perfect situation for RAID5?...RAID 10 is for performance with redundancy. I'd like to see you make a case for needing that performance, especially with the OS on SSD...

Where the heck did RAID 5 and 10 come from? The OP only discussed using RAID 0 to get a single directory. I never tried to make a case for performance—quite the opposite—since, for data storage, even on spinners, it's not really necessary; today's HDDs are plenty fast. SSDs are fast enough, little is to be gain by RAIDing them for the OS.

The OP was wanting to use RAID 0 so he could see the contents of the three drives in a single directory. Windows 7 Libraries is a much safer and simpler way to get a single directory from several drives.

Please don't tell me you are one the misguided souls who feel RAID is a backup. Nothing could be farther from the truth. RAID is not a backup! Let me repeat that; RAID is not a backup! Other than RAID 0 (which is primarily for increasing speed), the main purpose of most RAIDs is to provide redundancy to prevent data drive failure causing an interruption of service. Most enthusiasts do not need that kind of reliability from a computer, unlike businesses, unless running a server with massive amounts of data (and, even then, the server needs some kind of additional backup). RAIDed drives are still subject to failure from internal malfunction, such as a PSU blowing up and frying everything connected to it (it happens) or a nearby lightning strike that sends a voltage spike and current surge into the power grid and blows past any surge and spike protection one may have in place. Computers can be stolen or destroyed by disasters such as fire, storm, or flooding. RAID will not protect one's data or system in such a situation.

Data that has only an original copy in one place (such as a single drive or a RAID) is not backed up. A true backup is one that keeps the backed up data off the computer itself, such as on external HDDs or other media. A bare minimal backup scheme is one local copy and another one kept offsite (although even one backup is better than none). For every drive I have in use, I keep two local backups on internal type HDDs (my machine has one each of 2.5" and a 3.5" hot swap bays; using internal type drives for backups is cheaper, more convenient, and less bulky than using external HDDs) and one that is kept in a safe deposit box in a fireproof bank vault (that gets swapped out for updating at least once a month). To cover the gap between backups, I use a commercial (i.e. paid) cloud backup for an additional offsite backup (I use Carbonite; it continuously backs up all new content on my computer, provides 30 day versioning, encrypts all data before it leaves the computer, and does all this for only $59/year).

...Disable hibernation, tweak the page file, disable system restore, done. Make sure after you run all the windows updates you delete everything in the %systemroot%\software distribution\download folder, as well as your temp folder...

I have quite a few apps (my machine is used for content creation, among other things). I've already discussed my need for hibernation (if not for the UPS, I would disable it, losing the massive hyberfil.sys file). I've disabled system restore (restoring from backup images is far more reliable), reduced the page file to 800MB (the minimum needed for Windows dump files), and clean out all temp folders at least once a week.

...And only normal users need AV. I haven't run it for years, no infections. ;)

Now THAT is the one that hurts MY head! How do you know you don't have any infections if you don't have something in place to detect them? Also, you can get nasties even from reputable sites. Some can even sneak in by piggybacking to a safe file being downloaded or by slipping in while shadowed by a legitimate download. Most nasties nowadays make it a point to not interfere with the operation of a computer to avoid detection. You could be on a botnet churning out spam, or worse, and never know it, no matter how good you may be (or think you are). Something could be spying on your banking and shopping activities and never know it until the damage is done to your accounts. Just because you haven't been burned yet doesn't mean you won't be. And even suggesting to others to not use an AV is highly irresponsible. That's like saying as long as one drives carefully, they do not need insurance.

Back