• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend me some upgrades!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmo_9000

So, in May I am planning on doing some upgrades to my build. My budget will be around $600 (not including tax). My current system in my sig is accurate except I currently have an Asus 7870 Ghz edition instead of the crossfire 6950 (I might edit that though).

Anyway, I've had my eye on this SSD for $160, or similar priced SSD at time of purchase.

That should leave me with about 440 to spend. I've seen some IPS monitors around the $200 range such as this one, which looks good but I haven't had time to do any research into monitors lately so I am unsure. Whatever one I go with will have to be VESA mount capable. Right now my primary Asus Monitor has some pretty obvious backlight bleed, so general screen quality is important here even though I will be using it for gaming.

So if I get those two things, I should have approximately $240 left. I've been thinking about picking up a new mechanical keyboard, possibly a ducky shine with brown switches. Other possibilities could be extending the SSD budget to getting a 512gb version.

Alternatively, I could use the entire budget on a R9 290 or GTX 780, or getting a high resolution IPS monitor such as this or this. Thing is I already have 3 monitors so I don't need more screen space, and my Asus 7870 right now is plenty for 1080p gaming...

So TLDR, budget is $600 CAD before tax. What would you recommend I get with it? I'm open to all suggestions, but remember I am in Canada so use NCIX.com (Canada), newegg.ca, canadacomputers.com and so on...

Well since we both know taxes here in Canada will eat up like 1/2 your budget :p
I'd spring for the SSD at least.

Throw your OS & programs on it, and your other data on a larger HDD (even them green drives) and backing up & boot times will amaze you..

Ahh wait! You already have an SSD!
In that case, I see no other need for another SSD.

Ya my budget is actually 700, I fully expect taxes to be around $100.

The reason I want another SSD is that the current 128gb ssd is constantly full, so I want a larger one. My buddies who have 256gb say that it is much more convenient compared to their previous 120gb SSD's.

However, you are correct, it could be something I could do without. I will think about it.

Maybe:

By default, BFGMiner will scan for autodetected devices. If you want to prevent
BFGMiner from doing this, you can use "-S noauto". If you want to probe all
serial ports, you can use "-S all"; note that this may write data to non-mining
devices which may then behave in unexpected ways!

(From https://github.com/luke-jr/bfgminer)

Wait wtf? wrong thread :facepalm:

Last edited:
I don't know why I had that product model in my sig. I have 4 sticks of this ram currently in quad channel. Something may have changed since Samsung discontinued the product or I may have just entered the wrong product code from a website.

I think the only part that I would upgrade for the actual computer would be the GPU, but as I said the 7870 is more than enough for right now.

So I'm leaning more towards monitor, a ducky shine, or a larger SSD.

It's decided, I will spend $600 on one of these.

It's decided, I will spend $600 on one of these.

:facepalm:
My bad!

Although... you can make some nice profits for a bit ;)

Back