• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want Kitkat 4.4 and overclock on s3 help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

Hey there. Instead of upgrading to the new s5 and messing with all that contract bs. I was wanting to play with my s3. I've recently rooted it and and loaded Cyanogen mod 11. I really like it. However, I want to overclock this sucker as much as possible, to really get everything possible out of it.

I was hoping someone could walk me through how to upgrade my phone.

I don't get the difference between a rom and kernel. Are they the same? When I did CM 11 all I did was get gapps and CM11 and it worked.

Anyway, a link would be awesome. Thanks!

A kernel is the basic equivalent to a BIOS.. in order to overlock, you need a kernel that supports it. ROM is the OS, CM11 in this case.

Overclocking a phone is.. well, the gains don't necessarily outweigh the losses. Battery life SUFFERS, stability.. their are benchmarks for the GPU and CPU in the playstore to see if what you are doing is working

Post #4 has a link for a kernel

Cyanogen forums should have some info as well in the forums. IDK if all kernel's work with all ROM's..

RomManager from the playstore is a good app to have, as well as BusyBox, Titanium Backup, and Antek Explorer (Make sure you get the *root versions)

More Info

Last edited:
A kernel is the basic equivalent to a BIOS.. in order to overlock, you need a kernel that supports it. ROM is the OS, CM11 in this case.

Overclocking a phone is.. well, the gains don't necessarily outweigh the losses. Battery life SUFFERS, stability.. their are benchmarks for the GPU and CPU in the playstore to see if what you are doing is working

Post #4 has a link for a kernel

Cyanogen forums should have some info as well in the forums. IDK if all kernel's work with all ROM's..

RomManager from the playstore is a good app to have, as well as BusyBox, Titanium Backup, and Antek Explorer (Make sure you get the *root versions)

More Info

I gotcha. That's why I bought myself a 7000mha battery :). So I am on the lookout for a kernel that works with CM11 on my phone...Maybe I should step back to cm10, for more stability and the ability to overclock the tits outa this baby :)

Honestly. I don't care about kitkat. I just want the fastest kernal/rom out right now. It's saying my base cpu is 1.512ghz, so maybe something around 1.8ghz CPU and a significant GPU overclock.

CM 11 M5 should be based on KitKat anyway, but that is beside the point. Only way to see if it will do 1,8 and be stable is to try :shrug:

Worst you can do is brick it.

CM 11 M5 should be based on KitKat anyway, but that is beside the point. Only way to see if it will do 1,8 and be stable is to try :shrug:

Worst you can do is brick it.

I don't know what m5 is, but the cm11 I installed only allowed me to go up to 1.512,which I think is stock for this phone.

Back