• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Desktop Environment are you using?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What DE are yuo using?

• Gnome 3

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Gnome 2 (or fork such as Mate)

• KDE

• LXDE

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • XFCE

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • E17 (enlightenment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Openbox, fluxbox, *box

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Other (GTK+ based)

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other (Qt based)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Between kde, gnome, and xfce I like xfce the most. Kde has the most plugins and is bloated, gnome is similar to kde and I wanted the simplest so xfce is my main choice but I could always go lighter if I knew more. Hopefully SalineOS stays relatively stable and I don't have to choose another distro. I run Emerge Desktop in windows which is actually really nice, almost as nice as sharpeshell used to be. At least it's in active development-lol. Gnome apparently just lost four of it's top guys within one week-lol. I think troll would be a better name.

When I first tired gnome 3, I really pushed myself to stick with it and like it. I found myself despising it. I've read it's better now, with extensions. Though, I refuse to adopt it out of principle. The whole gnome project feels tainted, anymore. It may sound silly, but it's just my opinion.

I've been using mate, and it's working great for me. Although, if it starts losing support, I will probably switch to cinnamon.

Laptop:
  • Hard Drive: Unity Ubuntu
  • SSD: Openbox Archbang

Desktop:
  • SSD: KDE Arch Linux

KDE is my favorite

I have openbox and kde installed but I use openbox more than kde. Dolphin is the best file manager. Thunar isn't too bad either.

Running Ubuntu 10.10 in VMware and XFCE on FreeBSD also in VMwere.

My pc build is currently for gaming so I cant really have Linux or BSD as the main OS :'(

Update:

Laptop:

• SSD: Moved away from Archbang and just installed Arch Linux with Bare Xorg and XTerm for right now.

Looking for a new DE or WM I have never used before to try. I got rid of Bang because I had to many issues with updating due to pgp key issues or the convert from /lib to /usr/lib etc., so it was just easier to start with the latest build of Arch.

Running Gnome 2 for as long as possible; will go with XFCE upon Gnome 2 demise...

+1. I haven't really been that impressed with Gnome 3. Maybe I just need to spend some more time using it but I feel so lost and unproductive using it that I might as well just use Windows 7 *gasp*.

apparently my little circle of friends are an anomaly. We all use gnome 3 and love it. Sure I needed to add some extensions, but it basically rolls gnome-do into the DE. I love the "super key" to bring up the search/expose my windows. I use that ALL the time.

For me, gnome 3 allows me to never take my hands off the keyboard if i dont want to. And for the gazillion terminators I usually have open that is awsome

I am really feeling the gnome 3 love and I quite frankly dont understand the bashing (except from the vantage point that it IS different)

It surprises me that people in the linux camp are so afraid of different

If I used Linux at work for my desktop OS then I could see myself going to gnome 3 and getting used to it through full immersion but since it is only at home that I run Linux as my primary OS (and only on my laptop, not my desktop) then my seat time is quite limited. Luckily Debian Squeeze is still the stable release with gnome 2 :)

Screenshot - 09242012 - 08:49:19 PM.png

Arch-ified the laptop, that was running Windows 7 due to an old program that I required, but that refused to work under Wine. Installed VMware, dropped XP 32-bit there and enjoyed the ride.

System's UI is provided by Openbox. Extra goodness is Cairo Composite Manager's duty. Tint2 gives me that slick top panel, and Docky that useful Dock. Guake's Quake-style terminal is pretty handy, so is ClipIt! (ParcelLite fork).

Can't remember where's the wallpaper from, prolly from wallbase.cc. Will upload if requested, but, alas it is 1366x768 only.

There you go. Will try to find a 1080 version of it. Guess it's time to use that Google Image feature?

EDIT: Can't find a bigger version. I will increase the canvas size (background is a solid color) leaving the mice on the center of the pic. Will upload asap.

EDIT2: Fixed. 1920x1080 version there.

Attachments

• mice.png
    mice.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Testiment to Ubuntu easy of use and simple UI, I swapped my wifes netbook over and she like it better.

1. Win 7 didn't allow her to make her photos of our kids as wall paper
2. Quick Launch Bar - I have set to autohide
3. Thunderbird Mail linked to her Gmail account
4. She likes the default font better, lol
5. Office Start had 1/5 screen as an add with limited use LibreOffice must more useful with Presentation were Office Start just has Word/Excel

Testiment to Ubuntu easy of use and simple UI, I swapped my wifes netbook over and she like it better.

1. Win 7 didn't allow her to make her photos of our kids as wall paper
2. Quick Launch Bar - I have set to autohide
3. Thunderbird Mail linked to her Gmail account
4. She likes the default font better, lol
5. Office Start had 1/5 screen as an add with limited use LibreOffice must more useful with Presentation were Office Start just has Word/Excel

Ubuntu used to be pretty nice, but not like it used to be.
still one of the best linux noob OS's (no offense) but I could tell it was going down hill since 10.10. with every release it becomes less and less linux in my book
I always been a small distro kind of guy TBH

it's probably means it time for me to hit Slackware or RHE as my mane distro

Last edited:
Back