• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my HyperPi Times Average?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

I have downloaded and run HyperPi on my new system expecting to get a really good score, but the result seems pretty average?

I am getting the following with the Priority set as Realtime and Processors set as 1 - havent disabled any of the services:

32M - 20m 31.293s
1M - 20.436s

Bare in mind the system isn't overclocked, but it is a Phenom 965 with 8GB of 1600 RAM :shrug:

If its on default OC, than yeah that is an average score.

What were you expecting? Even overclocked to 4ghz, you won't break below mid 17 second range.

My times for 1M are as follows (also a P2 965)
3.4-3.5 GHz - 20 Seconds
3.6-3.7 - 19 Seconds
3.8 -3.9 - 18 Seconds
4.0 - 17 seconds

Downloaded SuperPi 1.5 rather than HyperPi and ran all calcs:

SuperPiPhenom965Stock.png

I guess it was seeing a post on here with people with REALLY low times that made me think these were quite high - am happy they are right though :)

Just run the same tests on my laptop - Samsung X460 (Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Win 7 64-bit) and was surprised how well it did!

Notebook.png

Have just fed in the best auto-tune overclock settings on my main pc and re-running the tests, will post them up in a mo, its just finishing the 32m calc

Done :)

Current OC Spec - not fully tested yet, but it got through all the SuperPi tests, and thats quite a while so fairly confident:
CPU-ZOC.png

And the results:
SuperPiPhenom965OC.png

Quite an improvement :) and I just missed your 1M time - damn, must try harder!

Well, those times aren't too shabby. It takes a whole lot to get my 720 down to 17 seconds even. And when I say a whole lot, I mean a fresh install of streamlined xp 32bit, explorer and almost every other process closed and over 4ghz... :screwy:

Linky. That picture doesn't show the number of processes I have running, but while running the bench, I was at 17 processes including superpi.

Those tests were done with my standard Win7 64bit install, running Avira Security Suite in the background etc

Just tried a Prime95 with those settings but it failed at 3 minutes. Have raised CPU voltage a tiny bit and going to run again, fingers crossed!

Well raising the voltage didnt work either, chip just got v hot and it crashed again.

Tried a different tactic, kept multiplier at 18.5, reset CPU voltage to stock - but raised NB to 2400 and NB voltage to 1.175.

Its looking good so far, 11 minutes of Prime95:
Prime95-OC185.png

Temp did not going above 57 - it went to 61 before - so good news there, plus the SuperPi times are comparable and slightly better in some cases than the ones above... just waiting for them all to finish...

Going off of memory here, but @3.6 my 1M time is 19s and change...seems in line with what everyone else is getting.

Ok well am done for the night and for my first proper attempt at overclocking :)

CPU-Z:
CPU-ZOCNB1.png

CPU-Z showing memory and NB speed:
CPU-ZOCNB2.png

Final results with SuperPi:
SuperPiPhenom965OCNB.png

Am sure there is more scope for tweaking it, but going to leave as-is now as it seems stable...

I guess it was seeing a post on here with people with REALLY low times that made me think these were quite high - am happy they are right though :)

You probably saw some Intel SuPi times... in short, they're much lower. You're times are spot on for where your at with your overclock. Congrats:thup:

Well back to the drawing board.

Woke up this am early to set Prime95 running for a few hours before I needed to use the pc, but it failed pretty much straight away on one of the cores.

Tried to up the voltage slightly, same thing and then a BSOD with System_Service_Exception.

So set it all back to standard so I can use the pc today and then may try again tonight - bugger!

Prime can be sensitive to memory timings as well, not just voltage (tho odd u can do 32 m if mem timings r off) u also might have to raise your nb a few bumps, also Your TRC seems very low compared to what other ppl with AM3 run (at least that i have noticed) try increasing your TRC and c if that helps with those clocks being stable

Duke

I would try to bump the memory voltage a tiny notch and then run memtestx86 for a good while. (Best would be over night and a bit into the day.) That will tell you if your ram is REALLY on the mark.

will try again later then.

which setting is c? cr or cl?

what values for both do you suggest?

Prime can be sensitive to memory timings as well, not just voltage (tho odd u can do 32 m if mem timings r off) u also might have to raise your nb a few bumps, also Your TRC seems very low compared to what other ppl with AM3 run (at least that i have noticed) try increasing your TRC and c if that helps with those clocks being stable

Duke

Is it low? I've been trying to see what other AM3s have been running their sticks of DDR3 at for that timing but is a completely different number than the timing I see for i7 systems. I've been playing with my numbers a bit going between the 30s and I think it's now in the 40s. One of the things I noticed he can do, is change his 2T timing down to 1T if his memory is stable enough. Mine started out on 1T and haven't had any problems with that yet.

Back