• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need CPU choice advise *urgent*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devilreaverx

Registered
tomorow i am purchasing a cpu as i have just spent $1050 on other parts without a cpu :shock: and as such am dying to turn it on.

i wanted to purchase a AMD X4 965 but at the price tag i cant afford it at the moment after spending all my money on other parts.

I am hoping to buy a AMD X4 810 and am just wondering if it will bottleneck my other parts. (hold them back)

they include the following

M4A79-T Asus - Deluxe (making sure its compatible if possible)

2 X ATI HD-5770

2 X 2GB 1333 ram

thanks for any help :)

(keep in mind i only have the money for 810 at the moment.)

This isnt an instant message client give us a few hours to reply :beer:... Welcome to the forums though!!!! :)

It depends on what resolution you are gaming at really. And why get the 965? Get the 955 instead as its just a waste for the 965.

As far as compatability goes for that mobo. I looked on the Asus website for you and found the the CPU comp chart: http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=lhJiLTN5huPfCVkW&templete=2

It works with 0701 or greater bios.

do you think i will get bottlenecking though???

and i might get the 955 as its alot cheaper aswell.

and thanks for tha reply :)

You need to state the resolution you play at in order for me to accurately answer the bottlenecking question!!! :)

955 is about $6 more expensive than the X4 810...at least at newegg.

I agree with the Dog. TBH any BE would be easy but none will cause a big bottle neck. Also besides RES what types of games will you be playing?

might look to the 940be x4 i have it and it runs at3.4 24/7 happily..
this was achieved by only changing the multi...
cant get much easier than that....

The 925 or 945 (i forget which) is actually cheaper on newegg then the 810, and clocked at a higher speed stock as well as having more cache.
The higher stock speed makes it easier to OC it.

That said, i've worked with an 810 and they're great chips, mine does 3.6 happily, and 3.7 would be fine if i had a better cooler.

You definitely want to get a BE chip with that ASUS board, I had the AM2 version of it and it SUCKED for HTREF clocking. (maybe 25%, where as my cheap Foxconn board could do 50%) That said, the ASUS board is stronger and will drive your OCs further than hte cheap boards ASSUMING you have a multi unlocked chip :)

I've been working with an M4a78T-E (am3), it managed 330 htref, though with dubious stability.
Might be a better choice for a non-BE cpu.

ill only be running at 1440 X 900 and i will be purchasing the 810 at the moment and later on seeling it on ebay for the 955 :)

thanks for the assistance guys.

ill be doing some benchmarking later on this forumm for anyone who is interested also.

cant wait to get it running now :)

cya later guyz

devilreaverx

I would make the correct decision and wait a week or two and get the CPU you REALLY want instead of making a fast decision that later you will regret because you are out $50. With that $50 you could make that 4GB into 6GB RAM.

Make smart choices! I know its tempting to rush it, but delayed gratification will ALWAYS win in the end.

I am also concerned over that Antec Earthwatts PSU for the Crossfire...you have some heavy load on those rails...

The Phenom II 955 BE is your best bet. With a modest OC it'll be performing as well as the 965 IMO.

I would make the correct decision and wait a week or two and get the CPU you REALLY want instead of making a fast decision that later you will regret because you are out $50. With that $50 you could make that 4GB into 6GB RAM.

Make smart choices! I know its tempting to rush it, but delayed gratification will ALWAYS win in the end.

I am also concerned over that Antec Earthwatts PSU for the Crossfire...you have some heavy load on those rails...
I agree. Wait and get the right chip the first time instead of costing yourself more in the long run...

Why would he need 6GB of ram? Isnt that going to caue issues with 2x2GB sticks a 2x1gb sticks? I would just stick with 4GB ram unless he is going i7 s1366 and then triple channel, 3x2gb sticks, are the norm.

The 5770 barely sniffs 100W IIRC. However I share a bit of your concern also with that PSU. It will work, but there isnt much headroom and that fan may be kicking loud when gaming...

Here is a review 284W with card at full load i7 965: http://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/page3.html

Last edited:
I disagree. I often by a lesser chip and flip it out again before upgrading to something better. A PC sitting there doing nothing, is losing value just be existing, to not have it running is silly.

But that is not the normal thought process, and I understand that.

I wrote some blogs on it, (still in process) google 'piecemeal upgrades' if you are interested.

Really needs to be edited lol

Its 2 weeks, not months...You will lose more money buying a chip and reselling it than you will when your rig sits for 2 weeks. Seriously, its not as bad as a car, when you drive it off the lots its worth significantly less. Besides, he already bought the other parts and he couldnt get the same money they cost new now or in two weeks regardless. So Im not sure how that becomes a continuously depreciating asset over this '2 week' period. He already bought it, and lost some value. Its not going to lose any more value in the next 2 weeks or so while it just sits there.

Where as you buy a CPU to use for two weeks for $200 new, you cant get that cost back and lose more money. So that 955 now costs its base cost + the money you lost in selling the old chip. If thats worth it to him, than of course go for it. ;)

Meh........to each their own! :)

Last edited:
ill only be running at 1440 X 900 and i will be purchasing the 810 at the moment and later on seeling it on ebay for the 955 :)

Wow... 1440 x 900? On CrossfireX HD 5770s? With that resolution, you'd have been better off using the money for one of those 5770s on more CPU instead, unless you're going to make a point to upgrade your monitor in relatively short order. At that resolution, there's no point to having two cards at all... a single HD 5770 will tackle that with maximum settings in nearly everything without any trouble at all...

This is true. I have a GTX260 216 (as fast as 5770) and it ate up EVERYTHING at that resolution.

My 5770 is beast and will run about anything i throw at it with a res of 1600x1200 and everything max in most games (this is with my CPU bottlenecking the card....so lol), So for that res 2x 5770's is MAJOR overkill, if u plain on getting a new monitor soon and bumping ur resolution up about 10 notches then u will have something there, other wise u have to much GPU compared to what ur looking at for a CPU

Duke

For the amount you said you spent on the system already, I'm surprised there's not a 22" or 24" monitor in there. And those cards will really like being played with at a res like 1680x1050 (22") or 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 (24"). I would've suggested the 720 BE X3, but I see you went ahead and bought the 810 instead. Would clock higher, and have you mentioned what you plan on doing with the computer besides playing some games? The X3 would more than handle most games thrown at it, it's almost like a 955 with a core turned off, and 2.8 instead of 3.2 to start with for speeds. :p

Back