• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

set affinity software for quad core...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznsound

does anyone have recommendations for a software that allows me to set CPU affinity for a quad core...? i downloaded 2 programs including SetAffinity but it seems like the program only works with dual core CPUs...

yes i can... but i have to do it everytime and for each program that opens up... SetAffinity sits in the system tray and does it all automatically...

not really a problem but usually when i game i have all sorts of other stuff opens... the games that i play usually default on CPU 0 and 1 which is pretty much what all the other programs use... i've set my games (Race 07 and GTR2 which are both CPU intensive... GTR2 defaults at CPU 0...) to use CPU 2 and 3 and i do get much better frame rates... i want to be able to set all the chat programs that i'm using to use CPU 0 and 1 and set the games to use CPU 2 and 3... Vista is apparently not doing a very good job at distributing work loads between the CPU's cores...

not really a problem but usually when i game i have all sorts of other stuff opens... the games that i play usually default on CPU 0 and 1 which is pretty much what all the other programs use... i've set my games (Race 07 and GTR2 which are both CPU intensive... GTR2 defaults at CPU 0...) to use CPU 2 and 3 and i do get much better frame rates... i want to be able to set all the chat programs that i'm using to use CPU 0 and 1 and set the games to use CPU 2 and 3... Vista is apparently not doing a very good job at distributing work loads between the CPU's cores...
How much better are your frame rates and how did you test your FPS.

I have a hard time believing that because windows prioritize the usage, your game gets the most CPU cycles when you play like this pic is the same fps running the game with or without programs in the back ground.

Attachments

• stock Crysis ut204 prime95.JPG
    stock Crysis ut204 prime95.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
as blazed mention i dont know if there is another way to auto set the affinity to users specified value..everytime u boot or start the program..maybe there is way in windows...i dont know..

anyway didnt u google it.

here some links hope this helps?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bang-dual-processing-buck,815.html

http://www.robpol86.com/pages/imagecfg.php

hi, i Googled it but seemed to have missed that one... but thanks...! it seems like what i'm looking for...!

How much better are your frame rates and how did you test your FPS.

with Race 07 and GTR2, there is a very noticeable stutter especially when someone pops up an instant message while in a game... setting the game to use CPU 2 and 3, i don't even get a stutter even when Skype is running a video call in the background... i didn't test with Fraps since Fraps doesn't really show these stutters in the games...

it might be hard to believe for you but i'm not here to debate it... i see what i see and a stutter, no matter how small, is very distracting in a racing simulation...

for curiosity im trying it out as we speak testin COH company of heroes...hmm seems it will take bit o time..il post em moro if i can..but that link RobPol86 seems to work..also if you look at the bottom the page there is a program affinity filter tool..it ensures auto constant runnin for priority of usage everytime windows starts..

word of warning proceed at your own risk :p

Last edited:
hi, i'm not really sure you will notice much of a difference in games that are more GPU intensive... Race 07 and GTR2 are known to be CPU intensive because the games obviously depends a lot on physics prosessing for each car that is on the track... the developer is using their own physics engine, as opposed to something like PhysX, so all the physics processing are done by the processor...

as i said, stutters in a racing sim are very noticeable since you're trying to be as smooth as possible... so i don't need Fraps to tell me whether i'm getting drops in frame rates or not...

hi, i'm not really sure you will notice much of a difference in games that are more GPU intensive... Race 07 and GTR2 are known to be CPU intensive because the games obviously depends a lot on physics prosessing for each car that is on the track... the developer is using their own physics engine, as opposed to something like PhysX, so all the physics processing are done by the processor...

as i said, stutters in a racing sim are very noticeable since you're trying to be as smooth as possible... so i don't need Fraps telling me i'm getting drops in frame rates...
I have a program that will work but only on single threaded programs do you want the link and instructions it's permanent.

I have a program that will work but only on single threaded programs do you want the link and instructions it's permanent.

hi, thanks but i think the THG Task Assign Manager is doing what i want it to do... it allows to set profiles for individual programs... and after setting the profiles, i don't think THG needs to run in the background... i think it is automatically changing the registry...

hi, thanks but i think the THG Task Assign Manager is doing what i want it to do... it allows to set profiles for individual programs... and after setting the profiles, i don't think THG needs to run in the background... i think it is automatically changing the registry...
keep me posted tell me if it solves your skipping problem.

Back