• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Just got a quick question. I'm planning on getting a X1900XT here this weekend and I was wondering how much of a bottleneck my CPU presents... I know its at 2.6GHz, which is a ok O/C for my chip and its stepping, but won't the 512K hurt my system in gaming performance? Would I be better off going with a Opty 144/6/8 or a 165/170? Thanks for your advice!

although the opty upgrade would be nice...I really don't think your CPU would be much of a bottleneck with the new x1900xt.

semper fi!!!

I read in a thread a while ago and I think someone said that anything below 2.5ghz would bottleneck a X1950, anything above that is fine. So 2.6 shouldnt bottleneck a X1900.

that would be equivelent to a 2.6 ghz CPU a amd 3200 is equivelant to a P4 3.2 not to mention the OC he has posted....I now have a core2 duo running at 2.13 which would most certainly not bottleneck a 1900xt

In 3dmark your scores will be better with the new proc.

In the actual games with actual resolutions with actual graphic options turned up and actuall AA and AF you will notice almost NO difference between a 3200+ running at 2.6ghz vs. even a conroe running at 4ghz.

After you turn everything on the CPU hardly plays a part in most games and that gap is supposed to widen with direct X 10.

I've got a 3200+ (2.2ghz) Athlon.

My graphics card broke, and I ordered an x1950Pro AGP, which was probably total overkill for my system, but I ordered one anyway.

How much of a bottleneck do you think my CPU is?

start said:
I've got a 3200+ (2.2ghz) Athlon.

My graphics card broke, and I ordered an x1950Pro AGP, which was probably total overkill for my system, but I ordered one anyway.

How much of a bottleneck do you think my CPU is?
There might be a little, but like internal said and only rephrased, you would probably only notice at lower visual settings.

Although the cpu MIGHT be bottlenecking you, you'll still be able to crank up the AA and AF...at least that's the diff. I noticed w/ my new card (before oc'ing, of course :) )

Dang thought I wrote something on this on wednesday doh.

Anyways CPU might bottleneck.... So this is where it should be ~ where the GPU will be totally the bottleneck. For single cores im figuring in extra tasks running in the background that the dual core would compensate from.

Single core AMD 2.7-2.8Ghz
Dual Core AMD 2.6-2.7Ghz

Intel P4 Dual Core 4Ghz+
Intel P4 Single Core 4.3Ghz+
C2D... 2.3-2.4Ghz (more of course the better) thats based off AMD ~ speed rating.

Thanks for the input guys! Seems like its a 50/50 decision based on your replies... I think I'm gonna *try* to get a hold of a 165 or 170... I wouldn't be running any game above 1280 x 1024, as thats the resolution of my LCD monitor...

freakdiablo said:
There might be a little, but like internal said and only rephrased, you would probably only notice at lower visual settings.
Heh, that made me feel better about spending a wad of cash, cheers :D

Back