• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is RAM so expensive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What confuses me is why 1333, 1600, and 1866 ram's all sell for pretty much the same cost. When will the 1333 get " cheap" compared to 1866?

I'd honestly wondered why there is DDR5 RAM out there on GPU's and have always figured it was always tailored for them and wondered why there is no DDR5 RAM, guess I'm a bit ignorant along those lines.

I was under the impression that GDDR5 (The G is important) is actually based on DDR3, they just poked and prodded it a little. Same stuff underneath.

Looks like it is going up steadily. Most 16gb kits were like $139 last month. It's getting to the point where its just stupid. In my opinion anyway.

i agree, they were selling a crap load more before because people were like well since its so cheap il just grab 16 or 32gb... lol now i wont put more than 8 in any of my machines besides my server that uses ddr2-fbdimms that i can get 8gb (4x2gb) for ~$30

I was under the impression that GDDR5 (The G is important) is actually based on DDR3, they just poked and prodded it a little. Same stuff underneath.

THere must be some differences after all, GDDR5 is running at effective clock speeds of 6000Mhz and higher, while the fastest DDR3 memory is only running at effective clock speeds of less than half that.

THere must be some differences after all, GDDR5 is running at effective clock speeds of 6000Mhz and higher, while the fastest DDR3 memory is only running at effective clock speeds of less than half that.

Like I said, they did make some changes, but that doesn't mean it's brand new tech. I know some consider that it's bad form to use wikipedia, but the first line of the overview of the wiki article:

Like its predecessor, GDDR4, GDDR5 is based on DDR3 SDRAM memory which has double the data lines compared to DDR2 SDRAM, but GDDR5 also has 8-bit wide prefetch buffers similar to GDDR4.

Also there are other things such as timings, GDDR5 tends to have loser timings than your standard DDR3.

Last edited:
Wikipedia has it's uses, at least you aren't completely ignorant in new subjects.

Beats the crap out of buying encyclopedias like we did 40 years ago when growing up.

Looser timings are only one part of the equation in determining net latency. Timings are wait states and refer to the number of periods of a cycle that are wasted waiting. Higher speeds = shorter periods.
An 8-bit wide prefetch buffer in GDDR5 as opposed to a 4-bit prefetch buffer in DDR3 sounds like more than a minor difference.

Looser timings are only one part of the equation in determining net latency. Timings are wait states and refer to the number of periods of a cycle that are wasted waiting. Higher speeds = shorter periods.
An 8-bit wide prefetch buffer in GDDR5 as opposed to a 4-bit prefetch buffer in DDR3 sounds like more than a minor difference.

I know about timings and all that, trust me. My main point was GDDR5 was based on DDR3, which it is, not that they are the exact same. Guess I could have worded my first post differently.

Back