• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Socket A air cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I'm looking for a solid air cooler for a Barton/LpB system. Over the years what Socket A HSF has been found to be the best? Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106035

That thing is AWESOME!(If you don't want to spend a bunch of money) It has a knob to turn down the fan so you can hear your A/C sticking out the window over top of it (AKA it is VERY VERY VERY loud when cranked) It's basically silent when you have the knob turned back though. But when cranked it is VERY loud and the fan WILL tear off your finger if you happen to bump it..... don't ask. Yes, i got my finger up against it and it lashed me open like a radiator fan in a car.

SI97A is one of the best plus it can be used on a 939 when you upgrade too.
My temps never went over 46c this summer with room temps in the high 80sF.

I was looking at the SI-97A and it's quite similar to what I have on my 64 right now. I haven't yet made up my mind whether I like that design of HSF or not.

Thermalright SLK-900-A is considered one of the best.

I'm running the 800 on my server and it is amazing.

I imagine it would be the SP-97A that or one of the newer coolers that happens to fit Socket A.

jiggamanjb said:
Thermalright SLK-900-A is considered one of the best.

I'm running the 800 on my server and it is amazing.

I have the SLK-900A and it works very well. I would recomend the SLK-900U though. The A uses the socket lugs, the U uses the 4 holes and a motherboard backplate I believe.

The SLK-900A is one of the heaviest, if not, THE heaviest heatsink to still clip onto the socket lugs which means if you drop your computer, even from a few inches, you have a greater risk of snapping the lugs right off and possibly even chipping your core. Besides, it wouldn't be too fun to have an SLK-900A come crashing down into your video card either.

Anyway, it is a nice heatsink. I am not fond of the fact that it allows so much air from the fan to spill over the edges though.

For one of the best heatsinks though, I would recomend either a newer design that still is designed for socket-A, or the SP97, which is like a bigger SLK-900 with heatpipes.

Back