• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon L5639 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scout

What I am working with.
Asus Rampage III Gene
cm 212 push pull
Mushkin 998659 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3-1600
Xeon L5639

This is my first foray into 1366 and its really not going well. I would like to get this chip to 3.5-4 ghz but I am struggling with the bclk overclocking. I like unlocked multipliers l:D. Any tips or tricks would be of great help.

th_IMG-20130909-00058_zps4a435382.jpg

th_IMG-20130909-00059_zps51b69fc0.jpg

th_IMG-20130909-00063_zpsd9d60eb3.jpg

Well after a bit of tinkering I am at 199 bclk 1.35v and 3591 mhz
Still pushing for 4+ 6c/12t

What voltage to I change to give me a little more blck ? I feel like 205 is about it I am not super familiar with x58.

Last edited:
Stuck at 222 bclk 223 will not boot. From a base clock of 2.13mhz to 4.0 mhz isn't too bad it has so much more potential I am at 1.37v I haven't really tried to lower it. Bclk is holding me back.

990x performance for less then 100$

4.5GHz 3770k vs L5639

L5639 wins at a lower clock !

picture.php

picture.php

I know it should it has those 2 pesky extra cores lol :D. A member Pm'd me for more info so I told him I would put up some cinebench scores and any other ones he wanted me to do.

EDIT: Let me know what you wanna see out of this Xeon.

Overclocking Xenos is hella fun, never goin back to those sissy i7s.

You got your BLCK to 222? Wow, I heard it won't boot at 210-215.

I should push my 195 BLCK higher once I get my upgraded fans or Noctua NH-D14s...

I have the same CPU cooler as you do (except 2x, obviously, and the bottom fans only at 50% because they whine a lot)

Either way, awesome.

I know E means mainstream line, X is top performance, W means workstation...

any idea what the L prefix means?

Overclocking Xenos is hella fun, never goin back to those sissy i7s.

You got your BLCK to 222? Wow, I heard it won't boot at 210-215.

I should push my 195 BLCK higher once I get my upgraded fans or Noctua NH-D14s...

I have the same CPU cooler as you do (except 2x, obviously, and the bottom fans only at 50% because they whine a lot)

Either way, awesome.

I know E means mainstream line, X is top performance, W means workstation...

any idea what the L prefix means?

I am definitely temp limited I should just sell my 3770k and put my water cooling loop on this.
I can boot into 230 Blck with some pretty ugly voltages and I cant do anything too strenuous because of the heat. Right now I still have turbo on which is 21x226Bclk gives me 4746 GHz turbo :p,

You have a 20w advantage in TDP on your chips and a 1x higher multiplier so in reality its probably gonna be a little bit easier squeezing out a little more of your xeons.

~221-223 bclk is about max stable for most 1366 chips. Passing 215 stable is already good result.

Is bclk chip or board dependent ? Would my P6X58D-E do better then the rampage III gene or do I just need to get it colder ? this isn't my every day setup thats why I don't mind running rather reckless voltages.

My P6X58D-E could make about 225 bclk. Above that I had to set QPI to slow mode or it couldn't boot but I finished at about 248MHz. Actually my P6X58D-E died and killed CPU but that's other story.
Max bclk is both, CPU and board dependent.

I am right about 8000 m/t because slow mode kills any chance of doing anything with the gpu. It seems 8000 is the ceiling I am pretty happy with my above average oc on this one. What do I do if there is no HWbot entry for the L5639 ? I think its time to do some benches for a few points:D

Howdy guys,
I read your thread the other day...and I hope I'm not necroing it, but I decided to purchase a L5639 for 79 + free shipping off ebay. Before that I was simply replacing the OEM Dell board in a 435mt with a Rampage II gene, but I saw this stuff about 6 core Xenons and I was mystified. First, what will remain to be seen is if the L5639 will (I hope) run on a Rampage II gene (not the III like you have...only real diff I really see is support for SATA III). Waiting on the chip to get here. I'm curious if you could tell me exactly what I need to change in the bios to OC the L5639 to what you've found is a relatively 24/7 stable state and also what cooler you are using? In addition I'll be running 12GB of the Kingston HyperX Triple Channel PC3 12800 and a EVGA GTX 760 SC.

Just as a side note I purchased the 435MT in 2008. I am very much amazed at the long life the i7 920 has had. The 435MT has failed to recognize the HyperX triple channel memory I'd bought for it...thus warranting a new mobo all together lol...I do things backwards.

Howdy guys,
I read your thread the other day...and I hope I'm not necroing it, but I decided to purchase a L5639 for 79 + free shipping off ebay. Before that I was simply replacing the OEM Dell board with a Rampage II gene, but I saw this stuff about 6 core Xenons and I was mystified. First, what will remain to be seen is if the L5639 will (I hope) run on a Rampage II (not the III like you have...only real diff I really see is support for SATA III). Waiting on the chip to get here. I'm curious if you could tell me exactly what I need to change in the bios to OC the L5639 to what you've found is a relatively 24/7 stable state and also what cooler you are using? In addition I'll be running 12GB of the Kingston HyperX Triple Channel PC3 12800 and a EVGA GTX 760 SC.

Just as a side note I purchased the 435MT in 2008. I am very much amazed at the long life the i7 920 has had. The 435MT has failed to recognize the HyperX triple channel memory I'd bought for it...thus warranting a new mobo all together lol...I do things backwards.

He has a Hyper 212 listed as the cooler. Looks like 1.488V for 4.05GHz on the CPU.

Excellent, impressive you guys are able to OC this much on air. I'm most likely going to be using the Antec Kuhler 620 or Corsair H50 for cooling I think. Unless I buy a new case the Micro ATX form factor case is very tight for such large fins. In fact I'd probably still have to mount the radiator externally anyway. My 920 in this Dell case idles it's cores around 50c and goes up to 70 under heavy load. The GTX 760 SC sits at around 28c, so it does well. The Dell cooler is hardly adequate at stock speed. Anyway, I'll stop rambling. I'm sure I'll have more to say when the chip itself comes in. Anyone run PCMark on the OCed I5639

I could do it in a few days when my schedule calms down I got to redo my OC before I do it
. It is a low tdp chip so they are binned really well and oc well.

Excellent, impressive you guys are able to OC this much on air. I'm most likely going to be using the Antec Kuhler 620 or Corsair H50 for cooling I think. Unless I buy a new case the Micro ATX form factor case is very tight for such large fins. In fact I'd probably still have to mount the radiator externally anyway. My 920 in this Dell case idles it's cores around 50c and goes up to 70 under heavy load. The GTX 760 SC sits at around 28c, so it does well. The Dell cooler is hardly adequate at stock speed. Anyway, I'll stop rambling. I'm sure I'll have more to say when the chip itself comes in. Anyone run PCMark on the OCed I5639

Let me know when you get everything here, I may be interested in the 920.

Got my gene ii and l5639 in. I have gotten it to clock as high as 220 bclk with 18x multi at about 1.4 vcore. However, at some point this caused my LAN to crap out. Flashed bios and reinstalled windows seemed to be the only way to get it back. Gene II won't allow multi past 18 . Anything else that could increase stability at this range. Rampage has so many settings I don't know where to start. Also seems to screw with my triple channel memory...and the bclk can't increase without also increasing DRAM clk. I'm using Kingston triple channel 1600 HyperX kit.

Back