• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gainward GeForce® GTX 670 2GB or 7970/R9 290?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danteeva

Hello, I am currently looking at GPU to upgrade to from my 5770.

My friend has offered me his Gainward 670 for £170 after only being used for a few months because he now has a Titan.

I was just wondering if this is a good deal or if i should save up and get a 7970/R9 280X for around £250 instead. I don't want to spend anymore than that really.

Cheers

p.s. sorry if its an obvious answer for some of you i dont know that much about the specifics

It kinda depends on your needs. That price on the 670 seems to be about the going rate when I search on ebay.co.uk (usually a good indicator of used prices). It's nothing extraordinary.

The 670 will give you performance pretty close to a 7970 (you'll have 1GB less vram, though). AMD prices don't seem to be quite as inflated over there as they are here.

What resolution are you gaming at?

Welcome to the forums. :)

R9 290 Hands down. It performs on-par with the GTX 780, so this chart will give you a good idea of the performance to expect vs the 670's.

Welcome to the forums. :)

R9 290 Hands down. It performs on-par with the GTX 780, so this chart will give you a good idea of the performance to expect vs the 670's.

I was just wondering if this is a good deal or if i should save up and get a 7970/R9 280X for around £250 instead. I don't want to spend anymore than that really.

I think the 290 part of the question was maybe a typo. He doesn't want to pay more than £250 and the 290 would be £300-350. If that is in play, then it is definitely the card to get as it outperforms the others by a wide margin.

I think the 290 part of the question was maybe a typo. He doesn't want to pay more than £250 and the 290 would be £300-350. If that is in play, then it is definitely the card to get as it outperforms the others by a wide margin.

Ah, indeed.

yeah sorry that was a typo, I meant, the 280X i was just looking the 290 ;)
With the 280/7970 in mind, which would be better to get?

Thanks peeps

The fastest 7970 released was the "Ghz" edition. The 280X (not to be confused with the 280, which is completely different) is a 1:1 rebadge of the 7970 Ghz edition. All three (7970, 7970 Ghz, and 280X) are the same card, just running at slightly different speeds.

As Darknecron said, they're all great cards. I think they're selling for more than they should be because of mining, though. They're still comparable to nvidia in price-to-performance, but 3 months ago, they were about 25% better in that area.

AH ok then, thank you peeps. I'll probably just get the AMD then, and also enter the world of dual screens to make some more use of the card. Just have to find a place to put them now!
Only heard of BitCoin Mining 3 days ago when asking my mates about cards, have to say it confused me and themselves a lot haha

Back