• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA II's true speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

This wasn't really a test, it was something I needed to do, but am disappointed to find out just how slow transfering files can be even with the new SATA II proposed 3GB/s.

It took 20 minutes to transfer 10GB from one drive to another.. Is this normal? Both drives are exactely the same... Seagate 320GB SATA II 16mb

Well....10,000mb at 20 minutes would be 8.33MBps, which is painfully slow for a hard drive. This wasn't over a network, was it? Same computer, disk-to-disk? 10gb should take 3 minutes to copy, tops.

Nope, that was on the same brand new PC drive to drive. Same computer, just different drives, but the same brand of drive, etc... I don't get it...

Nope, it is all connected internally via SATA controllers. I don't know if it matters or not but the two drives are in 5 and 6 instead of 1 and 2.

I think you asked that as you saw my other thread in this forum, I do have another external drive that is USB connected and it is extremely slow, a USB pen is much quicker.

Have you install all the motherboard drivers? How about running a program like HDTach to test drive performance? What 'mode' are you in if you look in device viewer? (Should be SATA or etc, shouldn't be PIO)

Yes, all the drivers have been installed, that is what is so strange... I will download HDTach and post the results here tomorrow for all to review and give me advice.

Well this also depends on what files you were transfering. If it was one 10GB video file, then it would be a lot quicker than transfering thousands of 1MB jpeg files.

As a matter of comparison, I recently transfered 80GB of 700MB AVIs from my 2x 250GB WD SATAll drives in RAID 0 (although connected to SATA l controllers) to another internal 320GB WD drive and got on average 81MB a second.

Techiemon,

I don't mean to highjack your thread, but I was wondering about a similar question as well about the actual read/write speed of this new WD Raptor 150gb hard drive I put in my new rig. BIOS24, thank you for mentioning the HDTach utility, it was just what I needed and have been searching for.

Generally, unless you are using SCSI, the stats for the SATA Raptor drive I'm using should be about as good as it gets. Even though it's only SATA1, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make much difference, or any difference at all, if it had been a SATA2 drive. The first pic is of my older computer with WinXP Pro and a Maxtor 7,200rpm drive. The second pic is of my new computer, which is in my sig, using all hand picked components. Quite a difference.

hdtachXP.jpg

hdtachVista.jpg

techiemon said:
This wasn't really a test, it was something I needed to do, but am disappointed to find out just how slow transfering files can be even with the new SATA II proposed 3GB/s.

It took 20 minutes to transfer 10GB from one drive to another.. Is this normal? Both drives are exactely the same... Seagate 320GB SATA II 16mb

Just to clear up something, your HD won't ever hit 3 GB/s. That is only how much the SATA interface can handle, not how much the drive is going to put out. You drives will only do about 65 MB/s

voodoomelon said:
Well this also depends on what files you were transfering. If it was one 10GB video file, then it would be a lot quicker than transfering thousands of 1MB jpeg files.

Seconded, I recently (stupidly) decided to move my rom collection to a different drive, 70gb of v.small files, 10k to several megs in size, took a long time:(

Make sure in the BIOS the drive controller is set for AHCI mode, or Enhanced mode depending on your BIOS (it's AHCI mode on P5B). If it is in any kind of IDE/Compatilibity mode, performance may be reduced. Also make sure you removed the jumper from the drive so it is in SATAII mode. I installed a new Seagate 320GB and the BIOS was set for the wrong mode, got about the same 8-10MB/s. You should get 60 or so sustained on contiguous data and maybe 80-90 bursts.

I moved abotu 50-70, with each file ranging from 70k to 200k each.

voodoomelon said:

As a matter of comparison, I recently transfered 80GB of 700MB AVIs from my 2x 250GB WD SATAll drives in RAID 0 (although connected to SATA l controllers) to another internal 320GB WD drive and got on average 81MB a second.

Oops, that should be MB not K, big difference isn't it?! ha ha ha

I just counted and there were roughtly 95 files, which means the average size of each file was aroudn 106MB.

That's why the whole SATA thing is silly. ATA133 PATA is more than fast enough to handle peak transfer ability rates of any drive out there that I know of. Then they go and make SATA which is faster, and SATA2 which is yet faster... so what? What good is it if the interface can move data faster if the hard drive cannot pull it off the platter any faster?

MRD said:
That's why the whole SATA thing is silly. ATA133 PATA is more than fast enough to handle peak transfer ability rates of any drive out there that I know of. Then they go and make SATA which is faster, and SATA2 which is yet faster... so what? What good is it if the interface can move data faster if the hard drive cannot pull it off the platter any faster?
And people wonder why isn't raptor coming with sata II interface.

Richie13 said:
Techiemon,

I don't mean to highjack your thread, but I was wondering about a similar question as well about the actual read/write speed of this new WD Raptor 150gb hard drive I put in my new rig. BIOS24, thank you for mentioning the HDTach utility, it was just what I needed and have been searching for.

Generally, unless you are using SCSI, the stats for the SATA Raptor drive I'm using should be about as good as it gets. Even though it's only SATA1, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make much difference, or any difference at all, if it had been a SATA2 drive. The first pic is of my older computer with WinXP Pro and a Maxtor 7,200rpm drive. The second pic is of my new computer, which is in my sig, using all hand picked components. Quite a difference.

hdtachXP.jpg

hdtachVista.jpg

There is something wrong with that maxtor hard drive. Either the setup is bad or that test shown results bad. 25mb/s is slower than notebook HD.

So then basically what you are saying is that 20 minutes for 10GB is normal?!?!?! Hmmmm

Back