• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project: Little Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A functional version of the TV arrived along with the TV stand! I haven't had a lot of time to play with the TV, but from what I can tell, it works very well. The stand is exceptional: very sturdy and it looks great.

Still working on getting everything hooked up.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

I will be interested to know your experiences with windows and xbmc. Do you use a keyboard along with the controllers? What else besides xbmc do you plan on using?

I recently built a htpc also, but used steamOS and xbmc. I can use steam or exit right into xbmc and can use the xbox controller for everything, so far. Though i do need to remap the buttons for xbmc.

I am hoping to get some emulators integrated into steam big picture, then find a way to add in netflix and I will be all set.

I will be interested to know your experiences with windows and xbmc. Do you use a keyboard along with the controllers? What else besides xbmc do you plan on using?

I recently built a htpc also, but used steamOS and xbmc. I can use steam or exit right into xbmc and can use the xbox controller for everything, so far. Though i do need to remap the buttons for xbmc.

I am hoping to get some emulators integrated into steam big picture, then find a way to add in netflix and I will be all set.
It is up and running, so ask away! I never thought of using the Xbox controller when in XBMC, but it seems to work really well. Thanks for giving me the idea on this; I'm going to use that. I did not have to remap anything - it just picked it up. The idea for the HTPC was streaming, first and foremost, but emulation as a secondary option. I was going to get a few old consoles that me and roommate enjoyed when we were kids, but found that the cost of obtaining that plus games is going to be way more than this build plus wireless controllers.

For "normal use", I ordered a Lenovo N5902 for keyboard/mouse.

Not sure how to get emulators hooked up into one system, but I'm not really worried about it. I can just exit XBMC and running it with the N5902.

IMG_0250.jpg
You can see the black controller on and connected to the HTPC.

Last edited:
Do you have steam or play games there?
This was a steam thing that I was looking at, but I didn't get it to work with steamos. Seems like it would be good for switching between the emulators with the controller. Has a good list of emulators too.
http://scottrice.github.io/Ice/

If you have steam games, you can stream them from you main rig now too.

I don't have Steam on it, but I'll likely install for some multiplayer games.

That looks like an awesome link though. I'll check that out.

You can install steam on it, and use the new streaming functionality and stream the games from your main rig. I've been playing with this the past few days on my HTPC and it works rather well for the most part, it does have some bugs. It also seems to work with games that you add to your steam library just to launch them from steam.

You can install steam on it, and use the new streaming functionality and stream the games from your main rig. I've been playing with this the past few days on my HTPC and it works rather well for the most part, it does have some bugs. It also seems to work with games that you add to your steam library just to launch them from steam.
Forgot about that feature. Does Steam have to be logged in as you?

Forgot about that feature. Does Steam have to be logged in as you?

Yes, you have to be logged in as yourself on both machines. Also you have to be opted in for the beta program apparently, which I have been for over a year.

Yes, you have to be logged in as yourself on both machines. Also you have to be opted in for the beta program apparently, which I have been for over a year.
Thanks for the information. I'll probably try it out later today.

Just tested this out while on lunch at work and it works great. There are a few times it pixelates a little bit, but the reaction time is instantaneous. I launched Saints Row 4 from the HTPC with the 360 controller hooked up to the HTPC and it simply transfers everything for you. Sound was a bit hosed, but that is because I have my sound in a really dumb configuration at the moment (HTPC goes to my computer, so it was forwarding it back over to the HTPC).

Just tested this out while on lunch at work and it works great. There are a few times it pixelates a little bit, but the reaction time is instantaneous. I launched Saints Row 4 from the HTPC with the 360 controller hooked up to the HTPC and it simply transfers everything for you. Sound was a bit hosed, but that is because I have my sound in a really dumb configuration at the moment (HTPC goes to my computer, so it was forwarding it back over to the HTPC).

whats your network setup?

also, i would like to add that i tried this out myself. let me explain how i have my network setup

i will now explain my network setup.

CLICK THIS \/
Cisco M20 is setup as the main access point running shibbys tomato firmware (mipsr2 mini 117) and my R6250 is setup as a client bridge running kongs K3-ARM-AC firmware.. i was able to get both routers running at a full 300mbps thanks to shibby and kongs firmware and this feature worked very well when i was playing portal 2.

i was having little issues but i feel they would be fully resolved if i switch the living room computers wifi from wireless g to wireless N 300.
-anybits-

subbed. looking forward to seeing more of this. hoping to see videos of it as well. 0u0

I'm running a pfsense router on a Dell Optiplex 780, hooked up to a Dell Powerconnect 5224. The HTPC is connected directly to that switch.

What would you want a video of?

I'm running a pfsense router on a Dell Optiplex 780, hooked up to a Dell Powerconnect 5224. The HTPC is connected directly to that switch.

What would you want a video of?

anything really 0u0

the little box of overkill in action. you router. or both OuO. i really REALLY like pictures and videos of hardware. yes~ ouo

anything really 0u0

the little box of overkill in action. you router. or both OuO. i really REALLY like pictures and videos of hardware. yes~ ouo
I have a bunch of pictures of the networking equipment in my Rackmount Overkill thread. A video isn't going to show much more than a picture would.

I have a bunch of pictures of the networking equipment in my Rackmount Overkill thread. A video isn't going to show much more than a picture would.

0n0 even if the video may not be much to you (or anyone else), a video of the little overkill box would mean a lot to me. i do like pictures, but videos of projects like these are what i like to call "eye candy gold"...or something like that.

if video cannot be taken, its fine. don't force yourself to if it cannot be done.

I didn't post a picture of the center speaker when it arrived, so these will do! The front speaker arrived today and I got them hooked up. They sound a lot sharper on the high end compared to my current Polks. This sounds incredible for movies, but some music doesn't sound quite as good. Thanks for the help on picking these out, Jeremy!

These boxes were a bit bigger and heavier than I thought they'd be.
IMG_0265.jpg

Speakers hooked up and ready to go. Still waiting on the amplifier and the rear speakers, but I have the fronts hooked into my existing setup for now to make sure they work and to hear how good they sound.
IMG_0269-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
The receiver arrived and I got almost everything hooked up. I'm waiting on HDMI cables that aren't too long, which should clear up the one hanging out the back and allow me to connect the 360 and PS3. Any cables that run away from the system go in one direction and I bundled them together.

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

That is an amazing setup you've got there Thideras :) All of it looks great, right down to the cable management but i wouldn't expect anything less.

Back