• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REALLY weird Catalyst 7.7/7.8 Bug... Does not occur in 7.6, and only affects DVI.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SubElement

REALLY weird Catalyst 7.7/7.8 Bug... Does not occur in 7.6, and only affects DVI.

Yup! I have no friggen clue what the heck is going on! I've even reinstalled Vista, JUST incase...

So, let me start with system specs!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 OC'd 3.41Ghz
Corsair XMS2 6400 RAM, 2GB, 4-4-4-12
ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi AP Edition, 0404 BIOS.
ASUS EAH2900XT 512MB
74GB WD Raptor
500 GB WD Caviar 16MB Cache x3 - RAID0
Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU, 17A x2 12v Rail.
Samsung SyncMaster 22'', 1680x1050@60hz

Now here is the problem!

I run Catalyst 7.6, and everything is fine, no weird artifacts at all!

In 7.7/7.8 in DVI ONLY, I get this weird colour shading artifacts.

Corruption in DVI

No Corruption in VGA

I have no friggen clue what the heck is going on, anyone have any ideas? If no one can help me, does anyone know how I can get in contact with ATi to see if I can get this issue addressed?

P.S I have also gone back to NO Overclock just in case that was affecting it.

I know it's early I'm not entirely awake, but what I'm I suppose to be seeing? They look the same.

If you compare the two images, you'll notice on the VGA image that the colour gradient is a smooth grey, where on the DVI image, it it specked with pixels of varying colour.

P.S I should mention that I took a photo of it becuase I cannot take a screenshot of the artifact, it does not showup.

If you cannot see it in a screenshot it is not a driver rendering problem. Possibly something wrong with the output side of the card after driver installation? Possible bad cable?

SubElement said:
If you compare the two images, you'll notice on the VGA image that the colour gradient is a smooth grey, where on the DVI image, it it specked with pixels of varying colour.

P.S I should mention that I took a photo of it becuase I cannot take a screenshot of the artifact, it does not showup.

Tried different cables and different monitors, the problem still exists. It has to be a driver issue if it does not occur in 7.6, but does occur in 7.7/7.8.

Either way I have forwarded on this information to ATi, and they have now forwarded this on to their driver team.

Hi,

I recently updated my drivers from Catalyst 6.12 to 7.8 and I am having the exact same problem as SubElement, as shown in the two photos. It's like a layer of noise across the screen that can be seen against dark shades of colours (e.g. the grey background used on this forum).

The problem only seems to occur with DVI since if I switch to a VGA cable the artifacts go away. Also, when I revert back the Catalyst 6.12 drivers, the problem goes away completely, so it's definitely a driver issue.

Here is my system spec:

Athlon X2 4400+
Asus A8N-E
Radeon X1900XT 512mb
Hiper 580w PSU
Windows XP SP2

My monitor is an LG L226WTQ 22" TFT.

Last edited:
Wierd... I haven't noticed it with mine but I went from 7.6's to 7.8 Betas for Bioshock. Running Vista 64-bit.

I think the problem still remains with the older drivers but it's much less noticeable, you can just about see a slight "graininess". You really have to look up close to see it and even then I'm not sure if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, lol.

That said, with the 7.8 drivers the problem is clearly visible and quite distracting.

I've been doing some more testing and interestingly enough, if I lower the resolution the "grains" as I like to call them, increase in size; i.e. they are the same size as the pixels. At 800x600 the graininess/noise/corruption (whatever you want to call it) is much more prounounced as the pixels are bigger and so are the grains/visual corruption. This is only with the 7.6 drivers, the 7.8 driver screen corruption would be much worse when using 800x600.

So I think it's definitely a driver issue or possibly a compatibility issue with my monitor/graphics card.

Well if you don't observe this behavior with print screens then it is dropped data on the DVI cable. For short runs of cable, on a decent lcd, the difference between DVI-D and 15 pin d-sub is non existent. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Finally someone else with the problem!

Still with me on the BioShock Drivers.

I sent you a PM Titanium!

Well with 7.7 and 7.8 i have noticed in the letters i wrote right now some light color ghosting effect.
This occurs whatever is the connection DVI or VGA. With previous drivers this was not obvious.
I believe that this is driver isuue so i am looking for previous Catalyst revisions 7.5 or 7.6.
If someone has them please can you upload to rapidshare or somewhere else?

I was getting actual artifacting at stock speed with the 7.8 using DVI. Going to the 7.6 fixed it. I'll try out the 7.9.

Back