• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD CPU's and CM Hyper 212

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

midlight21

I have a PhenomII X2 560 BE (+2 cores unlocked) + CM Hyper 212 and I'm looking to find out what the average temps are with this heatsink on AMD CPU's. If you have a similar combo, please can you post your average and load temps? My average is 40 C and my load is 50-52 C. Not too happy with those numbers honestly.

Not the first time I've seen this, it actually happened to me, it turned out I needed a new case and some more fans :D I recommend a new Case/fan arrangment. Is your CPU overclocked (I'm assuming no, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask) and do you have fans in a Pull/Push effect?

No, I haven't overclocked the CPU yet, just unlocked the additional 2 cores. The fans are installed as Coolermaster originally installed them. There is one fan at the top rear of the case, one at the top of the backside and the LED fan in the lower front of the case. The CM Hyper 212 + fan is facing the front of the memory slots and case.

Not the first time I've seen this, it actually happened to me, it turned out I needed a new case and some more fans :D I recommend a new Case/fan arrangment. Is your CPU overclocked (I'm assuming no, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask) and do you have fans in a Pull/Push effect?

:thup: Thumbs up for good airflow, can you try reseating the 212? Also, in my personal opinion this doesn't help but it might for you, what thermal paste did you use..and how did you apply it? Can you download HWMonitor and take a screenshot of it for me with your CPU at full load after about 5 min? I know your basically telling me your clocks and that you unlocked the 2 cores, but if you can do that it would be appreciated.

-Pete

Prime95 has CPU hitting 50-52 C at full load, some passes are lower temped though. Not at home to take a screen shot. I used arctic silver 5 (granted its a tube that's about 5 years old), a little blob on the CPU. What's the "best" thermal paste these days? If I'm gonna reseat the heatsink, I'm going to get new thermal paste while I'm at it.

Prime95 has CPU hitting 50-52 C at full load, some passes are lower temped though. Not at home to take a screen shot. I used arctic silver 5 (granted its a tube that's about 5 years old), a little blob on the CPU. What's the "best" thermal paste these days? If I'm gonna reseat the heatsink, I'm going to get new thermal paste while I'm at it.

Personaly, I think a pea sized dot and just letting the cooler do the rest is the best way, it yields the best temps for me at least..If that drops it by any chance please let me know I would like to see how they increased / decreased.

I also can't tell you exactly the what the best thermal paste these days is, AS5 is a good TIM though..

I have a Phenom II X4 955 that hits 50C at stock, under load with Prime95. However, I idle at 31C, only getting to 40C during gaming. Running a Hyper 212+ with MX4 arctic silver paste. 52C doesn't seem bad.

I've found that with HDT style bases such as on the Hyper 212+, I've had best results by running a very thin line of TIM down each heatpipe instead of the dot method. On the outer 2 heatpipes, make sure the TIM line hugs the inside edge of those 2 heatpipes, in order to get best contact too, since they will overhang the outside of the IHS a bit even on an AMD proc. Give it a try and you should see a good 3-5 C drop in temps; I did at least.

Last edited:
Ordered some Phobya HeGrease after reading reviews. Hopefully it'll help temps. We'll see. Will take about a week to get here.

Vertically. If no inprovement I'll see about adding another fan...maybe up top? There's room for another (120 or 140 mm...can't remember which) there. If that doesn't help....I'll be looking at at an H80 or H100. It would likely be a while before I buy one of those though. I have another upgrade I wanna do before that.

Vertically. If no inprovement I'll see about adding another fan...maybe up top? There's room for another (120 or 140 mm...can't remember which) there. If that doesn't help....I'll be looking at at an H80 or H100. It would likely be a while before I buy one of those though. I have another upgrade I wanna do before that.

Well, this was a problem I faced 1 time aswell, I would (when you reseat) the 212 to be horizontal, since the fan will blow the air through the back of the case and the fan back there will push the air out harder, that might help, not by much but it will lower your temps a lil bit for sure.

I've found that with HDT style bases such as on the Hyper 212+, I've had best results by running a very thin line of TIM down each heatpipe instead of the dot method. On the outer 2 heatpipes, make sure the TIM line hugs the inside edge of those 2 heatpipes, in order to get best contact too, since they will overhang the outside of the IHS a bit even on an AMD proc. Give it a try and you should see a good 3-5 C drop in temps; I did at least.

How thin of a line are you talking about? I've tried this and the pea method and still don't think my temps are as cool as they should be. I've tried looking up videos on youtube without any luck

How thin of a line are you talking about? I've tried this and the pea method and still don't think my temps are as cool as they should be. I've tried looking up videos on youtube without any luck

I try to go about as thin as I can get it. I use Arctic MX-2, which dispenses and spreads easily. If the TIM you are using is thick, you will have a harder time getting a thin line of it on the heatpipes. The trick is to get good even spread on the heatpipes without making a gawd-awful mess on the top of the processor with too much TIM. With an HDT style heatsink like your 212, it is very easy for excess TIM to bleed out in the space between the heatpipes on the base. That does make applying too much TIM to be not a problem since it can easily squeeze out, except for the messiness.

I try to go about as thin as I can get it. I use Arctic MX-2, which dispenses and spreads easily. If the TIM you are using is thick, you will have a harder time getting a thin line of it on the heatpipes. The trick is to get good even spread on the heatpipes without making a gawd-awful mess on the top of the processor with too much TIM. With an HDT style heatsink like your 212, it is very easy for excess TIM to bleed out in the space between the heatpipes on the base. That does make applying too much TIM to be not a problem since it can easily squeeze out, except for the messiness.

So, I just put the MX-2 or whatever on the pipes themselves and that's it? No filling in between the pipes?

No filling in between the pipes for me. It will squish the excess TIM material between them anyways when you tighten them down and heat transfer between the aluminum of the base block and the IHS through the TIM material is minimal anyways. The only HDT style bases I have seen that had a real flat finish between the heatpipes and base aluminum were ones from Evercool. They had some of the best base finishes I've ever seen on HDT style heatsinks, but they had mounting hardware problems that made them not as nice as the 212+/Evo series.

@ 3.7ghz on multi alone i hit 55c on P95 small FFT, but i have an antec 902 which has much better airflow, thats with all case fans on low, though when i turn them on high temps do not change at all....

Back