• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AHCI hard drive won't go away when power is switched off in Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. Good work, excellent work Randyman...

All my SATA in use are red, at no point were the orange ones used so my posts were ICH10R not Marvel 88SE6320.

I originally successfully switched to AHCI without reinstalling Windows XP as detailed here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648104

Can SATA to SATA work on orange Marvel 88SE6320 ports if not ICH10R red ones? Perhaps. I just might test it.

Geez I thought I just blew up my 2TB drive!

Orange didn't work at all. Rebooted. Then eSATA to SATA wouldn't work. Then panic! Then I connected it using power supply and SATA cable from burner. Then it appeared. phew.

Don't tempt me to mess with this no more :)

:eek: !

Yeah - I'd probably leave it. Next time you do a fresh install try using ICH10R in AHCI or RAID mode across the board. Don't forget the intel RST software - it also updates the drivers in addition to the RST Service for Hot-Swap operation!

You might have to enable the Orange Marvel 88SE6320 ports in the BIOS. It probably has options for IDE/SAS/AHCI - but i could be mistaken.

The ICH10R is generally accepted as one of the better desktop HD controllers out there unless you need Parity in a RAID Array - then dedicated cards like Areca are the way to go. The ICH10R should work fine and then some - but the fact that you swapped from IDE to AHCI in XP might have something to do with the issues you were initially having with Hot Swap in XP (the reason you started the thread)...

The RST software should be installed regadless if you plan on hot swapping or not if running the ICH in AHCI or RAID mode in the BIOS...

I love tinkering :p Just make sure you are backed up before you chance any type of data loss...

:cool:

Could be that I made a switch to AHCI post install. But it was successful so :shrug:.

Why bother with extra software running at boot time if eSATA to SATA makes it behave like a USB external drive which requires no extra software...? What is the benefit of RST software for my current situation?

You don't back up a 2TB drive in 2010. :D In a few years maybe.

EDIT: Ignore this post, see post below instead.

Well this is interesting. Turns out the issue is fully resolved on Windows XP using eSATA to SATA cable, however:

Windows 7 with eSATA to SATA does what Windows XP did with SATA to SATA. On Windows 7, the drive would not go away when power is turned off in Windows 7, it remains present with power off, you can go into folders which are displayed from cache and it messes up the system generally until you reboot.

So now what? eSATA is definitely a Marvell controller, thanks for the info Randyman... so RST software wouldn't affect it I am guessing.

Could it be that somehow some driver is missing from Windows 7 that is not missing in Windows XP?

---
In short: exactly the same problem is now present in Windows 7 but is completely resolved in Windows XP.

P.S. Using your info Windows 7 did not have a problem while the drive was connected to SATA ICH10R. It has a problem when the drive is connected to Marvell eSATA. Hm... Marvell drivers?

Last edited:
It was the drivers!!

Step 1 when Hot Swapping hard Drives is *make sure you have the latest SATA Drivers!*

For this you need to consult your manual because sometimes there are multiple controllers.

As soon as I updated the Marvell 6121 SATA Driver in Windows 7, the problem was resolved.

The question is, were drivers the problem with SATA to SATA originally? Are non-Marvell SATA drivers part of Intel X58ICH10R Chipset Device drivers?

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 9.1.2.1007 was installed on Windows 7 but not on Windows XP originally. I believe this was the cause of original problems.

This entire topic is probably only about simply running Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 9.1.2.1007 and Marvell 6121 SATA Driver v1.2.0.69 update so that all controllers are updated with latest drivers because original ones could not handle hot swapping correctly.

Back