• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Intel i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge) Review

• Thread starter Overclockers.com
  • Start date
Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well 2x 5970's in CF is considered quad-fire just because they have dual GPU dies.

Gotcha, didn't think of dual GPU cards :thup:

That still seems kinda misleading in advertising b/c it doesn't support all quad Xfire/SLI configs, just the 2x dual GPU cards config.

And I still wonder how can nf200 enable 16x16x when the p55 - p67 PCIe controller lacks the lanes, but that's a subject for a different thread, or for me to google it haha

And I still wonder how can nf200 enable 16x16x when the p55 - p67 PCIe controller lacks the lanes, but that's a subject for a different thread, or for me to google it haha

There's a version of the Lucida Hydra chip that's used on the MSI boards for more lanes than the NF200 chip can provide. There's a review on a new MSI P67 board on XS or powerup somewhere... lemme see if I can find it.

MSI Big Bang Marshall P67 w/ 8 16x lanes

There's a version of the Lucida Hydra chip that's used on the MSI boards for more lanes than the NF200 chip can provide. There's a review on a new MSI P67 board on XS or powerup somewhere... lemme see if I can find it.

MSI Big Bang Marshall P67 w/ 8 16x lanes

Very much appreciated man :) Seriously it's something i've wanted to learn more about for quite a while now but never took the time to dig into it, so wouldn't want to waste anyone's time until I do some googling :)

Very much appreciated man :) Seriously it's something i've wanted to learn more about for quite a while now but never took the time to dig into it, so wouldn't want to waste anyone's time until I do some googling :)

Yeah it seems like the Lucida Hyrda chip is gonna be a pretty big deal. Too bad only MSI has licensing (at least I think); I hope similar tech is used in AMD board soon. I also hope Intel's Light Peak tech is utilized in next gen boards.

So I know most people using Sandy Bridge will have a GPU, but how well does the integrated perform?

WOW check this out

0lrtq.jpg

Max VID and Absolute Max VCore are totally different.
In 920land for instance max VID is 1.3625ish, absolute max vcore is 1.5ish.

The only way to know for sure what they can take is to wait for them to start dying (or not dying), just like with all the previous generations.

Max VID and Absolute Max VCore are totally different.
In 920land for instance max VID is 1.3625ish, absolute max vcore is 1.5ish.

The only way to know for sure what they can take is to wait for them to start dying (or not dying), just like with all the previous generations.

Spot on man: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18227516
It looks like it didn't die in the end, but those SB definitely don't like 1.4+

1.4 - 1.5 = Fun? well, fireworks are fun yeah

Sandy Bridge Voltage Recommendations from OCUK

After a couple threads like the one dazz linked, apparently OCUK spoke with Intel about the voltages. Thanks to forum user woppy1 for bringing this to us. :)

gibbo said:
Hi there

Right guys myself and our technical guys have spent the entire weekend and this morning in discussions with Intel regarding the alarming amount of reports of Sandybridge CPU's dying and have been conducting our own testing as have Intel to find out what is a definite no no.

Sandybridge maximum safe voltages

Core Voltage - Not recommended too exceed 1.38v, doing so could kill the CPU, we therefor recommend a range of 1.325-1.350v if overclocking.
Memory Voltage - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means upto 1.58v is the safe recommended limit. In our testing we have found 1.65v has caused no issues.
BCLK Base Clock - This is strictly a NO, anyone using base clock overclocking could/will cause damange to CPU/Mainboard.
PLL Voltage - Do not exceed 1.9v!!

Processor - Basically we recommend customers not to exceed 1.35v to play it safe, all our bundles are set at 1.3250v or lower, any competitors offering bundles above 4.6GHz you should be enquiring as to what voltage they are using as we believe anything over 1.38v will limit CPU lifespan and anything over 1.42v will likely kill the CPU or severely limit its lifespan.

Memory - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means 1.60v is the ideal safe maximum, but we have found in our testing all 1.65v memory is fine. We have also found most new 1.65v like Corsair XMS3 will run at its rated timings with just 1.50-1.55v which is well within Intel specifications. So people upgrading to Sandybridge you can still use your old DDR3, but we do recommend you run it at 1.60v or less. We are shipping most of our bundles which feature Corsair XMS at 1.50v-1.55v at rated timings. We've also discussed with Asus and MSI regarding voltages for memory and they also confirm in their testing 1.65v caused no issues with reliability.

Base Clock - To put it simple if you value the life of your components, do not overclock using base clock! (Set manually to 100)

PLL Voltage - Again do not exceed 1.9v!

These are just guidelines we recommend you follow, if you want to push more voltage through your CPU's then just be aware they could die on you. Your warranty is un-affected and we will honor any CPU's that die, we just won't ask questions as to how you killed them. ;)

Not all CPU's are as fragile as others, we have experimented upto 1.50v Vcore and 1.70v memory and had zero issues with reliability, so it seems some of fine when pushing hard. :)

Remember that they said the same thing about >1.65vdimm on 1366. Hasn't actually turned out to be an issue.

Back