• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus RanDisk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

Does this software only work on certain mobo's or with certain types of memory? Tried to install on RIVE BE and keep getting Installation Failed.

Probably only runs on thier hardware, but there are some free alternatives (though most with limits) that you can try.

Probably only runs on thier hardware, but there are some free alternatives (though most with limits) that you can try.

I am on their hardware! The RIVE BE is Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition. Software downloaded from their site.

this is the site of the people that make it, ramdisk lite is free, you might try it.

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

That's the one I was trying to find. I couldn't remember their name. I used to use RAMDisk Eval, but they have haevily restricted it now to just a 64MB ram disk limit (used to be unrestricted but with a very reasonable time limit on install).

Btw, I didn't realize you were trying to install it on a Asus board. I just assumed you were trying to install it on a non-Asus board which is what was giving you those errors.:eek:

Just would like to find out why it will not install correctly. Thanks for replies.

are you using crypto prevent? if so disable it.
are you installing as admin?

Just would like to find out why it will not install correctly. Thanks for replies.
The memory type should not make a difference at all.

Have you googled your error or checked on the ASUS forums?

EDIT: I did....

resolved by:
power shell (admin), cd into the install directory (program files x86\asus\rogramdisk)
execute the cmd file with the inf

.\install.cmd .\asramdisk.inf

The install now works, it seems the cmd is somehow being run without admin rights?
Where it just worked the first install (windows 8, in windows 8.1 it doesn't)

Hope this info helps

The memory type should not make a difference at all.

Have you googled your error or checked on the ASUS forums?

EDIT: I did....

Hope this info helps

That got it working, Thanks.:thup::thup:
Now can I install Office on this ramdisk I created for daily use??

Office? On a ramdisk? I don't know why you would do that kind of software as it takes a second for me on an SSD, but...

...honestly, I had no idea a ramdisk even held data after you shut off the pc...does it write to.disk to write back to ram upon powering on or something?

Office? On a ramdisk? I don't know why you would do that kind of software as it takes a second for me on an SSD, but...

...honestly, I had no idea a ramdisk even held data after you shut off the pc...does it write to.disk to write back to ram upon powering on or something?

The ramdisk created is still there after a restart. I can run a benchmark on it.

it writes it to disk and recreates the ramdisk at boot..
how much ram total do you have and how much are you using for the ram disk?

Using Ramdisk lite for a while. Awsome little proggy. Sad part is the "lite" version which is free only allows the max of 4gb total to create a ramdisk :-/. If you want to create a larger ramdisk, you'll have to:

A) Have more than 16gb of ram. Of course a ramdisk is created from the total ram in your system. You can probably get away with a 8GB ramdisk.

B) Pay for the full version to create anything larger than 4gb.

I gotta admit is fast as all getout. Alot faster than my SSD's :eek:

Using Ramdisk lite for a while. Awsome little proggy. Sad part is the "lite" version which is free only allows the max of 4gb total to create a ramdisk :-/. If you want to create a larger ramdisk, you'll have to:

A) Have more than 16gb of ram. Of course a ramdisk is created from the total ram in your system. You can probably get away with a 8GB ramdisk.

B) Pay for the full version to create anything larger than 4gb.

I gotta admit is fast as all getout. Alot faster than my SSD's :eek:

I got The ROG RAMDisk Software with mobo. I am running 16gb ram. Just really not sure what a ramdisk could be used for on a daily
basis.

Yeah I hear ya. It's nice if you want to add a program you'll be using on a daily basis. But because the ramdisk size is small, you can't do much on it..

I have Asrock's RAM disk running on my XP install. The minimum size of the RAM disk is 5 GiB so I use it for my swap file/page file. I also have my TMP and TEMP environment variables pointed to directories on the RAM disk as well as my firefox and IE application and content cache. About the only thing I've noticed is I get a lot less disk access now.

Back