• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire R9 280x vs SLI GTX 760 4GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

If I were going for max detail and framerate at 1080p, which of these setups would be the better dual-card setup? And which would be the superior single-card performance if I choose to go single-card for now? I am most likely looking at a $250-300 card first, but want one with potential for a good, noticeable dual-card improvement when the next generation comes out and things drop in price.

I will probably be primarily using Windows 8.1, but I do enjoy running Linux Mint, as well. I know the R9 series has some Linux issues, driver-wise. Do Crossfire or SLI function decently in Linux at all?

I have been checking sites like GPU Boss, HWCompare, etc. but they don't seem to do a good job of demonstrating scaling with SLI or the extra-memory models.

And before anyone suggests it, I know a GTX 780 or R9 290X is the better option than either dual-card setup, but I am not in a position to spend $500+ at once.

280x is way betters for a build but when only using 1080p thats like trying to do roofing with a sledge hammer. Why not consider maybe a r9-290 some are in the $300-400 range. Just watch for what kind of memory they are using (hynix 4 LIFE). They will drop in price sooner rather than later and just pick up a second then. Thats my plan.

The 280x is not exactly "overkill" @1080p.

A lot of recently launched games need a 290/780 to run maxed out at this resolution.

The 280x is not exactly "overkill" @1080p.

A lot of recently launched games need a 290/780 to run maxed out at this resolution.

Especially if you want 60FPS 1080p with everything maxed out, including Anti-Aliasing, you definitely need some horsepower for some games.

That being said, my 560ti can max out Metro Last Light @ 1080p in Linux no problem. OpenGL vs DX11 is a very different beast, I know. But it still looks great.

If I were going for max detail and framerate at 1080p, which of these setups would be the better dual-card setup?...want one with potential for a good, noticeable dual-card improvement when the next generation comes out and things drop in price.

For a half decent card:

gtx 760 4gb- $300-320
r9-280x 3gb- $290-330
r9-280x 6gb- $390
r9-290 4gb- $350-400
r9-290 4gb OpenBox- $320

If a 280x is overkill, why suggest the 290?

I figure if you are making this somewhat future proof before next gen comes out and only plan to use 1 gpu till price drops then the best overall card will be a 290 to Truly max all the details in every game and not just some. But your monies u choose how u like to spend it. If you can afford it dual 290s will out preform and out last 280x by at least 2-3 gens if not more. Money wise its a better bang for the buck and only using 1 will still be a noticeable improvement over a 280x. I had the same idea when i chose my gpu and i chose the 290 route as it will last an easy 3-4 years and i can always throw a 2nd card when the power is needed. $350 right now for the cheapest 290 with aftermarket cooler and when price drops more should be even better in prices. But heres the justification on spending the extra $50.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
Based on Reference designs i assume? But I'm interested in seeing what the OP is planning on getting. Remember the golden rule, "Get exactly what u want the first time". So you dont regret it later. I'm confident that when both nvidia's 900 and amd's r9-3xx series drops having CFX 280x or CFX 290s will keep up for at least a few gens the later more so.

If a 280x is overkill, why suggest the 290?

I think he meant a SINGLE R9 290 (vs your original thought of going multi-cards). Sticking to the common belief here on the forums that a single powerful card trumps 2 lesser cards any day of the week for 90% of applications (single 1080p monitor, as most people are still running).

Based on Reference designs i assume? But I'm interested in seeing what the OP is planning on getting. Remember the golden rule, "Get exactly what u want the first time". So you dont regret it later. I'm confident that when both nvidia's 900 and amd's r9-3xx series drops having CFX 280x or CFX 290s will keep up for at least a few gens the later more so.
r9 what? Nvidia 9 series? What are the magical unicornsbof which you post?

r9 what? Nvidia 9 series? What are the magical unicornsbof which you post?

Next gen of AMD assuming they keep the r9 and just progress from the 2xx to the 3xx series.(r9-390, r9-390x) Same with nVidia if they keep the rumor of skipping the 800 series name and going to the 900 series, i.e. gtx 970, gtx 980

I do agree single 290 if you can find one for $300 or around that. (or go out of pocket and sell the free games towards it)

And i would of chose 770 sli over the 760 sli, a 770 is around about $300 no?!

your mobo also runs 2x 2.0 x16 pcie, good slot spacing, 760 watt psu with 2x '7970s/680s' and an 8350 is just about there.. so your good on any choice really.

I'd go for a couple of WF3 280x' and sell the games and use it towards the next card, then keep the games.

I do agree single 290 if you can find one for $300 or around that. (or go out of pocket and sell the free games towards it)

And i would of chose 770 sli over the 760 sli, a 770 is around about $300 no?!

your mobo also runs 2x 2.0 x16 pcie, good slot spacing, 760 watt psu with 2x '7970s/680s' and an 8350 is just about there.. so your good on any choice really.

I'd go for a couple of WF3 280x' and sell the games and use it towards the next card, then keep the games.

HOLY COW!!!!! Your awesome d1nky. I didnt even think of suggesting 770's over the 4gb 760's. HUGE Preformace difference. +1

Only thing i can think of is that how future proof is the 2gb VRM really. Granted your computer will borrow ram if more is needed but its not as efficient as VRM

nowadays i wouldnt get anything less than 3gb of vram. I've read about 10 posts about people maxing their 2gb with watchdogs and BF4.

Its a shame nvidia add $50-60 for an extra 2gb of ram where with AMD you get the extra ram at no extra price. (unless hitting the 6gb plus?!)

280x xfire vs 770 sli are about the same performace, AMD is cheaper option tbh.

nowadays i wouldnt get anything less than 3gb of vram. I've read about 10 posts about people maxing their 2gb with watchdogs and BF4.

Its a shame nvidia add $50-60 for an extra 2gb of ram where with AMD you get the extra ram at no extra price. (unless hitting the 6gb plus?!)

280x xfire vs 770 sli are about the same performace, AMD is cheaper option tbh.

Funny you say that because for the same price as sli 770s go, r9-290s are well withing that budget.

Back