• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Maximus VII Formula owners in here yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

I've got my mind set on one of these for a new build to pair with a 4790K. God, they look so purty :drool:

Unless you're planning on sub-ambient cooling it's a waste of money.

but, but, but...the aesthetics...

seriously though. I'm going to be moving from a z77 sabertooth and I just love the thermal armor. Such a clean look.

I'll take cooling performance over aesthetics, that armor just traps warm air against the board.

I'll take cooling performance over aesthetics, that armor just traps warm air against the board.

Agreed. Much like the Sabertooth boards. I've seen them with that ugly armor. I'm thinking how the hell is airflow going to get thru that?

If you're going z97, get the ASRock Extreme 6. Running my chip at 4.7Ghz with 1.3v. Tho woomack got his to 1.228v :bang head

lol ;)

Agreed. Much like the Sabertooth boards. I've seen them with that ugly armor. I'm thinking how the hell is airflow going to get thru that?

If you're going z97, get the ASRock Extreme 6. Running my chip at 4.7Ghz with 1.3v. Tho woomack got his to 1.228v :bang head

lol ;)

Same exact issue.
Why else would the airflow dependent Sabertooth 990FX forego the armor?
It would overheat with the armor.

I've booted 5.2 with my 4770K/Extreme6 on the Kraken X60 :rock:

The armor is not my style either. BLEH.

That said, it was reviewed on an older platform, which that armor actually had fans on it, and it performed just fine. I wouldn't be worried about it trapping heat personally as most of the areas its covering are not really giving off any heat in the first place.

I'm still waiting for M7 Impact ... 3-4 months now :p ... I wouldn't pay premium only for that plastic cover and features you won't use ( or I'm wrong and you are going to bench something on LN2 ). Hero or Ranger look not much worse but don't have that cover. I'm also not a fan of that armor thingy. In some places it has weird looking holes for heatsinks, slots etc. like someone had big problems to design it right.
These boards are not running hot except power section but there is a heatsink with option to use water cooling so I wouldn't worry about hot air under the armor.
I'm just starting to think that ASUS has big problems to release Z97 ROG boards. They have huge delay with most of their boards and we probably won't see extreme one soon. Impact had its previews 3 months ago and it's still not released.

Last edited:
z97 ambient I agree, Extreme 6

z97 sub ambient, OCF

Paying that much will get you into an x99 board with a bit left to shell out for a 5820K

I'm still waiting for M7 Impact ... 3-4 months now :p ... I wouldn't pay premium only for that plastic cover and features you won't use ( or I'm wrong and you are going to bench something on LN2 ). Hero or Ranger look not much worse but don't have that cover. I'm also not a fan of that armor thingy. In some places it has weird looking holes for heatsinks, slots etc. like someone had big problems to design it right.
These boards are not running hot except power section but there is a heatsink with option to use water cooling so I wouldn't worry about hot air under the armor.
I'm just starting to think that ASUS has big problems to release Z97 ROG boards. They have huge delay with most of their boards and we probably won't see extreme one soon. Impact had its previews 3 months ago and it's still not released.

reviews said even with NOT using the watercooling option there at the chokes...the air option installed works fabulous.

reviews said even with NOT using the watercooling option there at the chokes...the air option installed works fabulous.
Of course it would... the water is optional. Its like saying a car doesn't work right using the factory 16" rims versus the optional 18". :thup:

Or get a different board, that is more cost effective for your needs, without it to save more time money and effort?

Where in PA are you at ?

Lancaster here ,

From the sound of it you will not be using sub ambient cooling as for that you would simply remove it to avoid condensation from forming under it.

If you feel you need a top flight board look at the z97 OCF for $ 220.00, or a SOC for around $ 230.00. However for ambient cooling solution, I think the Extreme 6 offers a better value at around $ 150.00

This will free up money to put into other components that you may be considering compromising on due the cost of the MVIIF

Big effin SSD or bump up the vid card :)

Hey man, right next door in York :)

The only thing im looking to change is my case, cpu and mobo.

Lol

I live right off 441
First exit once you cross the river over the 30 bridge

You bench ?

So what's the skinny on the board
You stuck on the look of it or simply looking for a top flight board ?

nice, im actually leaving work for the day to go over to the fish place off the centerville exit.

bench...press? lol

im stuck on the look, but also an Asus ***** :p

Buying a pump ? they sell Ehiem pumps. That is where I used to get my water cooling stuff before it went mainstream ...... LOL

I drive right past it on my way home from work

Yea I am not so sure I would shell out for that board for ambient. But if you do go with it sure it will be nice. It better for that price :)

No bench pressing here ........... :rofl:

But if you ever want to really pound on that board hit me with a PM :)

Back