• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how dose one turn off auto play

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrian nelson

how do you turn off auto-play in win xp,
you know that thing that uses 1482% of you cpu power to read the whole cd locking up the entire world while its at it,

Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc and click OK | Expand the following branch in the LH pane of the Group Policy Editor...

Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System

Locate the entry for "Turn Off Autoplay" in the RH pane | Right click and select "Properties" | "Setting" tab | Click the "Enable" radio button.

You can accomplish the same thing by using TweakUI for XP, available from MS here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

...then with TweakUI open, expand the following branch...My Computer | AutoPlay :)

Last edited:
hey redduc, i can also do this by disabling the shell hardware detection service in services.msc .... is there a benefit to one way or the other?

I really don't see any difference/benefit between one method and the other. I'm glad you mentioned the Shell Hardware Detection service, because I hadn't even thought about that. The only thing I know of that can happen by disabling the service is...you may not see your hardware (example: DVD drive) displayed as a "DVD Drive" in Device Manager. Other than that, I don't know of anything else out of the ordinary that can occur by disabling it. :)

Last edited:
Back