• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some Intel noobie advice, plz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OLMI

A friend wants me to help him build a computer. This would have been a piece of cake and I'd probably have a parts list by now, except that he wants an Intel. I have pretty much no experience with Intels and haven't been keeping up to date with the latest in computers, so I would like some recommendations.

He wants it to be quiet, so I don't need something to overclock. He's going to be working with Oracle, which he says doesn't require an insane CPU, so not the top of the line. I just need something in between that has good power for the buck and isn't totally lame. I was thinking dual core because that's the latest I've heard about, but I don't know anything about it.

if you want quiet, you should be prepared to get them a better cooler.

Celeron D's are the lowest in terms of power requirements and heat dissipation so if you want a quiet system, you can start off with that.

I would probably go with a 630, Thermaltake Big Typhoon or Zalman 7700Cu, and an Asus P5LD2 or Abit AL8-V motherboard. Some OCZ DDR2 should do fine.

A celeron D with a slight OC would do well. If you have money to blow a 6xx at stock with an aftermarket cooler would do nicely and be pretty quiet.

Back