• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Potential?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Dell is having a great sale now on C2D's and I am thinking of upgrading my E6600. The E8400 is $133 w/free shipping and I could probably sell my E6600 for $45 or so on Craiglist. These are also 45nm which would cut down some on power usage.

Do these OC well? I just ordered a new Xigmatek S1283 with some OCZ Freeze compound so I am ready to OC. Or should I just stick with my E6600? I want to upgrade my video but don't want the CPU to be a bottleneck.

Last edited:
The chips themselves have good potential, I don't know about the dell motherboards ability to be able to be or remain stable at 4ghz though.

hes got a p5b deluxe according to his sig :)

if you have the bux for sure grab that cpu, i know for a fact that board will do over 500fsb with relative ease :) ( i used to have one ;) )

Oops, I skipped right over that, I thought he had a dell because he was at the dell store shopping for cpus. My bad.

Do they have POTENTIAL?

Look at my sig...

I'm at 4.63ghz @ 1.32v... but I'm TRYIN for 5.

My goal is to hit 5ghz under 1.5v (I have an extremely low VID)

LOL, I knew that remark would grab attention lol. No offense to the owners of these chips. :cool:

Is it worth paying an additional $20 and going with the E8500? (3.16GHz)

No. You could get a slow E8500 that wouldn't overclock as fast as an E8400 with a low vid. Or you could get an E8400 that sucks But it's not worth another 20 bucks in my opinion.
Once you start using that logic you might as well get a Q9400 or Q9550.

Just get the E8400 and be happy... I am.

^^

your 8400 clocks waaayy better then my old crusty 8600 :attn:

edit:

its like they made a c0 and gave it a x10 multi :beer:

hey, what do you got against C0 steppings!? Im running C0 biatch!

e0s are supposed to be better ;)

nice to see you stick up for your stepping, but theres really no need to ;)

name calling isnt nice, i understand you are still young and all, but you should keep that talk between you and your homies down in the projects or wherever lol :cool:

e0s are supposed to be better ;)

nice to see you stick up for your stepping, but theres really no need to ;)

name calling isnt nice, i understand you are still young and all, but you should keep that talk between you and your homies down in the projects or wherever lol :cool:

lmao, i was making a joke, trying to point out that the general "rule" about C0's compared to E0's isn't always true. im about as white and nerdy as it gets :p

ahh im sorry man, i was feeling a little sensitive i guess, my bad! :)

and you are right! i should have known better, i ran a q6600 for about 2.5 years, and just got this e0 like 2 weeks ago, so i still have a bit of catching up to do :(

sorry again!

potential? how about a 50% overclock! I got mine running nice at 4.5 (9x500) @ 1.4v

Yeh after I created this post I started rading articles about how amazing this chip is and the reviews @ the Egg are stellar as well I am ordering it right now and will sell my E6600 to defray the cost.

You made an excellent call. I have an older C0 stepping E8400 on the same mobo you do. It was a piece of cake to get 4.0GHz out of the combo. You should get at least that much speed without much effort.

Running my C0 @ 4.3ghz (478x9) w/ 1.53v. I could probably lower it, but I want to see how long itll last on higher voltages as everyone claimed it wouldnt last a month. Here we are pushing 2 months and no stability loss yet.

You should be able to sell your E6600 for more than $45, I sold my E6700 for $150 on eBay...

Then bought a E8400 E0 for $95, so I was basically paid $55 to upgrade my CPU...

You should be able to sell your E6600 for more than $45, I sold my E6700 for $150 on eBay...

Then bought a E8400 E0 for $95, so I was basically paid $55 to upgrade my CPU...

damn! and I thought I did good selling my e6750 for $110 and picking up my e8400 for $110. sorry to say, but whoever you sold that to got ripped. good for you of course, just... wow...

Back