• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I stop Lapping now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slake

Here is a low quality picture of my heatsink after lapping with 600, 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit automotive sandpaper and then polishing with Brasso and cleaning with alcohol. The cpu in the reflection and foreground is a Celeron 600 cC0 mounted on an Abit Slotket!!!. I tried it in my OEM HP P2B, no dice proprietary BIOS chip. Now waitng on a CUSL2-C Black Pearl, Full tower/300w psu and Arctic Silver all ordered today. Had lots of time to lap. I got the chip in Jan.
What is a good way to test the heatsink for flatness. It doesn't rock ona glass surface. The straightedge I have ain't that straight. I tested for light leaks against the edge of a new CD jewel case. No light showed thru.

But is it good enough to shave with?

Quite a reflection on that... I'd say you were done... Good Job!!

Could you test for level by using a square? Either a builders square, or framing square... but if it doesn't rock on a piece of glass... you might be done...

It's better than I've done so far... (not lapped my vanted at all... still don't have my machine together enough...)

Scorpion12

if ya get real bored waiting ill send ya mine it still needs lapping

Rooster (Apr 18, 2001 10:44 p.m.):
if ya get real bored waiting ill send ya mine it still needs lapping

LOL Rooster..No thanks , my arm hasn't been so tired since I hit puberty!
Thanks TT120 and Scorpion12. Thanks to you Scorpion12 I gotta ugly cut on my chin. Maybe I'll try with Barbasol for sensitive skin. :)

Impressive but there is residue from Brasso that is filling the microscopic surface variations where the thermal grease should be. I would lap it again with 2000 grit, rinse with water and then lap it with a fresh sheet of 2000 grit using Artic Silver as the lube. I guarantee your temps will drop.

Ha ha... That's funny. Not that you were cut... A styptic pencil can make the bleeding stop, or some superglue in the cut... It didn't give the right depth perception of a normal mirror?

:)

Still a good job none the less...

What are those things made of to shine like that?

Someone does that with their wood plane and they said it was so sharp it was scary!!

Scorpion12

Colin (Apr 19, 2001 12:15 a.m.):
Impressive but there is residue from Brasso that is filling the microscopic surface variations where the thermal grease should be. I would lap it again with 2000 grit, rinse with water and then lap it with a fresh sheet of 2000 grit using Artic Silver as the lube. I guarantee your temps will drop.

Thanks for the excellent advice Colin. I was kinda wondering if the alcohol had removed all traces of Brasso. I will definately do what you suggest. Never heard of using Arctic Silver as a lapping lube, but that makes perfect sense. Man, this website/forum is priceless!
scorpion12, Oh !,, you meant to use it as a mirror. That's why I had such a hard time attaching it to my Mark III razor handle.. DOH!! :D
The heatsink is made of aluminum. I got it along with the pretested Cel 600 a fan and throttlebody fan speed controller from Step Thermodynamics.

Hey Slake you might have to rough it up a bit so the Artic Silver stays on...

Back