• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ducting idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sounds like a pretty sweet idea, i have a few of my machines set up much the same and it works great, as long as you have a larger fan, 80mm or there abouts sucking the air from the duct out of the case

Well it doesn't sound like I could go to far wrong with this duct idea a little careful planning, a few cardboard cut outs, a bit of sticky tape...
Thanks to all that contributed their 2 cents worth, especially Gafrioni for beating me to the post and getting the ball rolling.

I did a little experiment. I brought my TBird 900 from 1082 (highest somewhat stable speed, 10.5 x 103) to 1092 (boots Linux but not Windows, 10.5 x 104). As always, I got windows protection errors, even with an open case. I turned off my computer for a few minutes, but took a Sunon 92mm fan and held it a few inches from my Delta, and started it up. I was able to do benchmarks and shut down with no errors. Not bad.

Gafrioni (Apr 15, 2001 07:38 p.m.):
I did a little experiment. I brought my TBird 900 from 1082 (highest somewhat stable speed, 10.5 x 103) to 1092 (boots Linux but not Windows, 10.5 x 104). As always, I got windows protection errors, even with an open case. I turned off my computer for a few minutes, but took a Sunon 92mm fan and held it a few inches from my Delta, and started it up. I was able to do benchmarks and shut down with no errors. Not bad.

I saw a piccy in one of the posts of a case and it had like a plate hanging down from one of the case rails with a fan on it maybe we could use this idea and a bit of high density foam to seal against the case cover,
would save trying to mount the fan on the case cover
and make for neater wiring...

if want to duct the hot air output by the hsf direct thru out the case, where can we find a such big tube to duct the air out?? any idea?? the tube must at least 70mm and is soft so we can bend it!

MUST it be flexible? PVC is easy to work with, and cheap. You can get it in all sorts of diameters and wall thicknesses (if you look in the right places). There are all sorts of fittings for it that you can use to take whatever pathway you want. You just glue the fittings on with epoxy, and it is permanent. My grandfather makes 150psi rated fittings from thick walled PVC and epoxy for water towers. Also, if you have a flexible tube (like a big hose or something) and you bend it the cross section gets smaller. This is why good exhaust systems on cars brag about mandrel bends, the metal is stretched at the bends so the volume isnt restricted.

lightning (Apr 19, 2001 10:26 a.m.):
if want to duct the hot air output by the hsf direct thru out the case, where can we find a such big tube to duct the air out?? any idea?? the tube must at least 70mm and is soft so we can bend it!

Go to your local hardware and go to the plubing section some of those PVC right angle drain pipes might be ok with a bit of a mod.
And they are mandrel bent at very little cost.

Back