• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Boards Suck...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChonChon

Disabled
i've heard this many times, i was just wondering...is it true? and if so, why? and if not, why as well?

i realize this is going to start a little..."battle" if u will. i ask for no craziness and whatever, i just want some info, no fights!

thanks!

A lot of people have had problems with msi boards being retardedly finicky about hardware as well as failing prematurely due to cheap components used in their construction.
I use a neo2 platinum and for as many bad review people have given it, its a lot more user friendly to me than any dfi i have owned. It does have its quirks but it works, usually without questions <_< >_>.
The best all around board i have owned was a MSI KT4 Ultra SR. that thing was stable, fast and hella cheap in the athlon xp days, of course its agp functionality was buggered, no fault of msi though.

Just my opinion, but if your looking for a board to go mad on overclocking with, the msi nine out of ten times probably isnt the most ideal. but for a moderate overclock, and a machine that just works damn nicely and has a lot of features, they arent too bad for the money.
I would probably pick an msi over an asus, but that is of course from personal experience with asus. Every user is different and has different experience.

MSI is an ok mother board manufacture; neither the best nor the worse.
I have owned three; two never had an issue and one needed a RMA. I have seen poorer quality from A-bit to be honest, and the best from Tyan and Gigabyte. Just my 2¢

My old MSI board overclocked alot better than this EPOX that I have now. It was also alot more stable.

No battle is necessary. As Valk said different users have different experiences. I think MSI is a terrible company that has some good designs that are poorly executed. I have had 2 of their mobos and 1 of their video cards and I'm not impressed with any of them. Different strokes for different folks.

I agree with rseven. I've had my share of MSI boards. Not the best in the world, but I was hoping for more 'umph', if you know what i mean.

ATM i have the neo2 plat as a back up rig. Again not the best in the bunch, but I'm happy it runs normal.

MY MSI socket 462 died a month ago, not sure why, but its the 4th MSI board to do this to me in 5 years... EPOX makes a good board!

I firmly believe MSI boards suck sry, not as bad as Asus boards though lol

The new Asus board looks sweet the SLI32 or whatver its called, first asus board I thought about buying in a long time.

DFI's boards are very finicky and require alot of tweaking for maximum performace and IMO is not "plug and play" if you're going to OC it. However they are without a doubt the best OC'ing boards on the market. In a nut shell if you are willing to invest a little more time in tweaking your board and getting the best results OC'ing then get the DFI.

I pretty much agree with that. They have seemed to have more issues as of late. I also think their manual is second rate. The Asus boards are more stable but don't OC nearly as well.

I honestly dont know what to say about MSI these days, some of the best and the worst boards i have ever owned were from them. It just seems like a hit and miss thing, some of their boards are great and some just horrible.

that's what im afraid of...getting a crappy one...apparently the opty 144s arelike that...

ANYWAY...so the DFIs are the best OCers and wite reliable, however take much tweaking.
Gigabyte is very reliable but crappy OCers
ASUS is reliable and an OK OCer

is this accurate? if so it seems to me DFI would be the wisest decision, but how hard is it to tweak?

I've had quite a few MSI boards over the years, still have about 20 in the field and am currently running my main workstation on a Neo4 platinum, which has been excellent in just about every way. I suppose I'm just lucky..

That said, I agree with Rseven; MSI boards ARE pretty cheesy, but have some great ideas (hence, my owning a Neo4 platinum). I've been using Epox boards exclusively on system builds for the past year and I've found their build quality to be very good (nowhere near a Tyan, but better than an MSI) . I'd recommend them for those seeking a good solid board with decent (although not the ubermost) overclocking abilities and excellent ease-of-use.

**Edit: enough with the mind reading, rseven :cool: **

Back