• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) OC Report

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dominick32 said:
I will give those timings a shot tonight. I actually tried 3-3-3-8 at 280 mhz and the pc froze up on me.. hehe I guess that was a little too much to ask of these sticks. :)
i actually wen tback to stock 3-44-8 cuz of random errors...but its all good everest gives me 7200est bandwith and sisoft gives me around 6200megs

Avalanche, Ink,
Thanks for the remarks.

**UPDATE**
I did it!
Finally broke 12,000. Thank you GSkills!!
I raised CPU/RAM to 10 X 277 = 2.77 Ghz 1:1
Raised GPU core to 690 and memory to 732. For some reason with previous testing my memory craps out any higher than 740. Anyway here is is:

12067.JPG

inkfx said:
Congrats on breaking 12k! Can you bench at 280x10?

My computer is stable @ 10 X 280. It completes Super PI 32m no problem, and runs dual prime no problem. But recently my PWM IC temperature has been climbing to 52*C under load. Lowering my speed to 2.75 to 2.77 keeps PWM IC temps just below 50*C under load. Until I figure out a way to mount some fans over my power management area on the Ultra-D I am going to keep the clocks below 2.77 ghz. As far as benchmarking, yeah. No problem whatsoever running 3dm05 at 10 X 280. :)

It was a rather harrowing weekend, but I'm back. I managed to at least get the sticks to work, but my computer ate my nVidia RAID driver diskette in the process and all the drivers on DFI's site cause errors during the windows installation... Dammit.

Dramatics aside, I've only managed to get 260Mhz at stock timings and stock voltage. At 265, I'll get 4-16 memtest errors per pass in test 5. At 270, I'll get a lot more errors, and at 280, forget about it.

I'm binned at 0603. Maybe I just got a pair of weak sticks? Dom, do you have a fan blowing down on your memory?

dominick32 said:
My computer is stable @ 10 X 280. It completes Super PI 32m no problem, and runs dual prime no problem. But recently my PWM IC temperature has been climbing to 52*C under load. Lowering my speed to 2.75 to 2.77 keeps PWM IC temps just below 50*C under load. Until I figure out a way to mount some fans over my power management area on the Ultra-D I am going to keep the clocks below 2.77 ghz. As far as benchmarking, yeah. No problem whatsoever running 3dm05 at 10 X 280. :)
Do you have something like a house fan you can put next to your case just to keep it down during benching? Thats what I do and it drops my temps by like 7-10c. If you dont want to do that you could always buy a new heatsink for it.

inkfx said:
Do you have something like a house fan you can put next to your case just to keep it down during benching? Thats what I do and it drops my temps by like 7-10c. If you dont want to do that you could always buy a new heatsink for it.

I think my best bet is going to be mounting two 72cfm fans a few inches over the power management sinks. This seems to be the best bet to dramatically lower PWM IC temps. I would like to keep my rig stable @ 10X280 all the time, so the actual mounted fans are a necessity for me.

Dom

Luftwaffle said:
It was a rather harrowing weekend, but I'm back. I managed to at least get the sticks to work, but my computer ate my nVidia RAID driver diskette in the process and all the drivers on DFI's site cause errors during the windows installation... Dammit.

Dramatics aside, I've only managed to get 260Mhz at stock timings and stock voltage. At 265, I'll get 4-16 memtest errors per pass in test 5. At 270, I'll get a lot more errors, and at 280, forget about it.

I'm binned at 0603. Maybe I just got a pair of weak sticks? Dom, do you have a fan blowing down on your memory?

Man,
Thats dissapointing to hear. You sure the bios is set @ 3-4-4-8 timings? I know a trp of 3 causes massive amounts of errors for me at anything over 260 as well. Can you boot into Windows and post up a screenshot of A64Tweaker? Maybe the DFI bios is shooting some random automatic settings into your sticks causing instability. Example: Weird DS/DDS settings or a wrong twcl setting. <---- This number impacts my sticks dramatically on anything other than 1.

Let me know.

Dom

dominick32 said:
Man,
Thats dissapointing to hear. You sure the bios is set @ 3-4-4-8 timings? I know a trp of 3 causes massive amounts of errors for me at anything over 260 as well. Can you boot into Windows and post up a screenshot of A64Tweaker? Maybe the DFI bios is shooting some random automatic settings into your sticks causing instability. Example: Weird DS/DDS settings or a wrong twcl setting. <---- This number impacts my sticks dramatically on anything other than 1.

Let me know.

Dom
Tonight, when I get home, I'll try setting everything in the BIOS to the settings you have on your CPU-Z screen. The timings are the same as yours, but some of those numbers on the bottom are different, namely the Trc and the DRAM cycle times. If it's no go, I might RMA them and get a new pair.

mynihilism said:
any one know if its compatable with an A8N32-sli ?

i f#(ed up and bought some corsair xms pc3200.. needless to say i'm returning it to new egg because it would crap out at 210mhz.

165 opteron going to 2.4ghz+...... yeah stupid move on my part.

I'm REALLY interested in this ram especially with those numbers.

Yes, I'm running them on my setup at 265 1:1 and have yet to even push it.

Luftwaffle said:

I hope I'm no patronizing you by giving you the following. just in case, check to see if your settings are near where mine's at. Perhaps this would allow for slightly higher clocks than the 260 you've received.

Look for my post with settings in the below link.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=450206

protocol_droid said:
I hope I'm no patronizing you by giving you the following. just in case, check to see if your settings are near where mine's at. Perhaps this would allow for slightly higher clocks than the 260 you've received.

Look for my post with settings in the below link.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=450206
Personally, I'm willing to try anything at this point. I really don't want to RMA the sticks. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. :D

i bought these the other day when i saw the kit listed in "cyberdeals" should be getting them tomorrow... will let u know what i get out of them.

Thoth said:
i bought these the other day when i saw the kit listed in "cyberdeals" should be getting them tomorrow... will let u know what i get out of them.

Definitely keep us posted. I am hoping you achieve the same max OC as me. The ease of obtaining a 280 mhz OC with these sticks only led me to believe that I did not have a "lucky set" but that the new 0603's are actually averaging 270 to 280.

But seeing some of the results from others within this thread led me to believe that maybe my set actually was lucky. Maybe your results will be on par with mine, than I can throw that theory out of the window. So please, as soon as possible post some positive 280 1T results!! :p

Dom

not to kill the buzz... but my board/cpu maxes at 275... and it's on an Epox 4pca3+ (intel 875) i'll be ablr to test the timings... but i cant select 1t or 2t...

but u can bet in a few months when i go socket 939 i'm gonna max these out!

Thoth said:
not to kill the buzz... but my board/cpu maxes at 275... and it's on an Epox 4pca3+ (intel 875) i'll be ablr to test the timings... but i cant select 1t or 2t...

but u can bet in a few months when i go socket 939 i'm gonna max these out!

ok. Well, take her to 275 for me at least! :p And show me a super pi 32m pic.

well i just came to this forum to question the quality of my sticks and ran into this post, so this is probably the best place to ask. i was running my system at 285x9 with the g-skill DDR500 ram @333 on my Asus a8nsli board, but i was having stability issues and decided since i rarely use my CPU past 80% usage i would just back down to 250x9 and run the ram sync at 400mhz which resulted in 250 frequency on the ram, and it was at this point i realized my ram cant even boot into windows at stock timing. i tried memtest at 250 and it failed in the 7th test and i stoped at that. would you say its time to get an RMA, or am i doing something wrong possibly.

Cow Hunter said:
well i just came to this forum to question the quality of my sticks and ran into this post, so this is probably the best place to ask. i was running my system at 285x9 with the g-skill DDR500 ram @333 on my Asus a8nsli board, but i was having stability issues and decided since i rarely use my CPU past 80% usage i would just back down to 250x9 and run the ram sync at 400mhz which resulted in 250 frequency on the ram, and it was at this point i realized my ram cant even boot into windows at stock timing. i tried memtest at 250 and it failed in the 7th test and i stoped at that. would you say its time to get an RMA, or am i doing something wrong possibly.

I dunno about your motherboard, but I have the A8n32-sli and it detects this ram at 3-5-5-10 for some reason or another and with those timings its really really unstable and will fail at the 7th test in memtest, atleast it did for me. So go into your bios and try manually setting your timings to 3-4-4-8 and see if that helps.

Back