• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA890FXE cheap and awesome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You know darn well I'm not talking about you Chance, lol! Your input is useful and based on logical human thought. :thup:

I just want to keep the clutter down so this thread can actually be helpful. :thup:

Things are fine today, have to take the son to a fun center for his birthday.

I think I am going to have to replace my 9800gtx+, I am getting artifacting when I boot up. It happens on this and the old MB so its the card, thinking of a MSI 260GTX.

Cool, cool...there are some amazing mid range Nvidia cards right now from around $200... the 460 or something.

Cgs, I wouldn't get a 260. Xokeman has a great point with the 460, but to be honest, the Ati 5xxx cards are great. I personally want to get a 5850 when funds/prices allow, but but obviously that isn't in everyone's price range. A 5770 is currently better than a 9800gtx+. It supports Dx11 and it oc's like a champ for around $150.

xokeman, I'm sorry if anything I posted incited others to extremes. There is nothing wrong with Biostar - every board has it's place or it wouldn't be on the market. To tell the truth I might actually buy another Biostar but I'll be sure to get one with MOSFET sinks next time. :)

Chance, I pretty much agree with your (deleted) assessment of the RoG. ;)

Cool,but I still think this mobo is crap compared to a CrossHair IV,Cheap things ain't good,Good things ain't cheap
You can be proud of what you own but you shouldn't have to slam others to feel good about it - especially in their thread! :(

If you want to shout to the world about how great the CHIV RoG is then start your own thread and do that. I don't think anybody here slammed your board but I could list a couple of things if I wanted. Everything has it's flaws ... ;)

Read again,when did I mention 790?I just want to point out You can never ever compare a mid range with a top of the line mobo like MSI Big Bang or Asus ROG mobo,it won't change anything,ROG users like me & some others know the difference:rock:Are this 2 bios same?????

You did type 790...then you edited it out.

Furthermore, that's not my BIOS.

I didn't compare anything to anything, you did. But since you brought it up, I can totally compare them...chipset to chipset there isn't that much difference.

Now, if you prefer Asus, fantastic, I'm very happy for you. Please don't come to a thread, without any useful information to add, and start spouting off about how "crappy" Biostar is.

You may not care for Biostar, and thats fine...but to call them "crap" tells me you are slightly uninformed. They may not be as good as Asus, I could care less...Biostar seem to be doing just fine without your patronage. See below.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/biostar_board_hits_725mhz_sets_fsb_world_record

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/biostar_claims_another_overclocking_world_record

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=252011

Now please, please, just stop...if you want to start a new thread discussing how much Asus pwns all motherboards feel free to do so, but this isn't the thread for that. Thankyou. :thup:

Thanks for the information on the video card. I will have to look around and compare some before getting a new one. I was thinking of the MSI 260 only because I put one in my wifes system and it has been great so far.

I don't game and haven't for years but still want to get the most bang for the $$$ and I haven't really followed hardware for a long time. I haven't used ATI in over 10 years, and from what little I have read on them they are getting better on the drivers which is the reason I left them and went to Nvidia. More than likely what ever I get I will end up putting in my sons computer (same as mine) and take his Zotac 9800gtx+ AMP. He will be gaming more than me and would put it to better use, One of my hobbies is photography so I do some editing but nothing that requires the higher end cards.

xokeman, I'm sorry if anything I posted incited others to extremes. There is nothing wrong with Biostar - every board has it's place or it wouldn't be on the market. To tell the truth I might actually buy another Biostar but I'll be sure to get one with MOSFET sinks next time. :)

Chance, I pretty much agree with your (deleted) assessment of the RoG. ;)

You can be proud of what you own but you shouldn't have to slam others to feel good about it - especially in their thread! :(

If you want to shout to the world about how great the CHIV RoG is then start your own thread and do that. I don't think anybody here slammed your board but I could list a couple of things if I wanted. Everything has it's flaws ... ;)

Lol, no worries...I'm actually eyeballing a Gigabyte for my next build...if only I could get one in red ha ha, that baby blue kills me!

I always stay away from smaller companies, but if Biostar is so good I'll def consider putting one of their boards in my next rig in a month or two. Thanks for the heads up :)

I always stay away from smaller companies, but if Biostar is so good I'll def consider putting one of their boards in my next rig in a month or two. Thanks for the heads up :)

The high end "T-power" lineup has never given me any trouble and has always impressed me, especially considering the pricing. But do your own research, I would never blindly recommend an entire brands product lineup. Biostar has some turds out there, just like any other company.

I will vouch for this board, TA890FXE, and the i45 T-Power (Intel 775), I have owned both of them and they are both fantastic. As to the others, Caveat emptor...

Lol, no worries...I'm actually eyeballing a Gigabyte for my next build...if only I could get one in red ha ha, that baby blue kills me!
Tell the truth I'm not really happy with any of the color schemes out now. Just give me plain, old-fashioned blacks & grays with brass/copper and nickel/chrome/aluminum and I'll be happy. You guys can keep the primary colors. ;)

Of course, there will always be some other color for the primary RAM slots and PCIe but all the rest of that is just distraction to me. :-/

I would never blindly recommend an entire brand's product lineup. Biostar has some turds out there, just like any other company.
That's it in a nutshell ...! :thup:

It is rather annoying when others have to slam what you have because they spent a bunch of money and are trying to feel superior. The Biostar TA890FXE is a great board. I have a Biostar board and my son has a Biostar board and both of us are very happy with how they work. I had this same thing happen to me on another forum when somebody claimed that my power supply was crap and just couldn't get over it when I disagreed with him. Finally I said prove it and he couldn't. I also told him that every day my computer boots and runs perfect I would come back and post that information. The thread finally closed because nothing useful was being said.

This forum seems to be better than that. This is the first instance I have seen of this. I don't know what it is but there is a certain segment of Biostar haters. I think that they get jealous when you get good results from a board that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I agree that these forums have no place for such rantings. Be proud of what you have, but don't try to cut down others simply to say that you bought good hardware. And if you are going to say that something is crap you better be able to back that up (reviews, testing).

Anyway, xokeman keep up the good work. Proudly display that Biostar banner.

Don't worry, xokeman. I'd never purchase any component before doing extensive research. All I'm saying is I'll be a little quicker to consider a Biostar mobo in the future. ;)

Thomas73, what are you trying to add at this point? I couldn't even figure out what that last post was all about. Two of the links don't even work. I think that we already know that the TA890FXE holds a world record.

Phew. Two reported posts in one day! I'm doing well so far. ;).

@ Xokeman, I kinda like the baby blue. Lmao. I do agree with QI though. Some of the color combos are really pointless. In my eyes it's more of a brand separation thing though. :shrug: Companies have to separate themselves from the other brands.

What would the best MB color be? How come we never get something crazy like purple? How about yellow? Seems like the colors are red, blue or black. I don't really care as long as the stuff inside the box works right.

Well like QuietIce mentioned, I wouldn't mind if the Pcb were all black/gray with the coils/chokes and what-not being copper/aluminum. :shrug: I just like that sorta "classic," plain and simple look.

As long as they don't go back to that horrid plain puke PCB color like back in the day, lol!

Here is my next color scheme!

cpcin1.jpg

Thomas73, next post by you trying to derail this thread and you will incur an infraction. This thread is about a Biostar board, not an Asus board or other manufacturer's product. You've already said what you think about your precious Asus board and that's enough, understand?

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

Well, I'm 10 hours prime blend stable at 3825mhz (225x17), CPU/NB at 2700, RAM at 900mhz 9-9-9-29-40-2t. CPU voltage 1.4v, CPU/NB voltage at 1.22v, ram voltage at 1.61v. Not too shabby given my quiet cooling solution.

I tried and tried to beat up my 965BE, I can boot the darn thing at more than 4.2ghz, but stability at even 4.0ghz for me requires 1.52v plus...so I had to settle with 3.825ghz given my cooling (unless I wanted a 100 db fan buzzing all the time). Maybe just not the best CPU...I dunno, it does 3.8 on stock, but for some reason 4.0 just breaks it's balls, lol.

For the record, most of you running 4Gb can probably do better, I'm sticking with my 4 sticks...I like running 8gb even though I never need it. Perhaps a new BIOS (next month by rumor) will help, but I think i just got a grumpy CPU...no BIOS will fix that, lol.

Good news is NameGT managed to hit a 300 on base clock after the 629 BIOS...so there is hope!

Back