• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well this isnt a suprise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tunnel

I bought a new PSU Corsair HX620W to power my new 8800GTX. But now i want another 8800GTX but don't want to buy another new PSU.

Do you think a Corsair HX620W would handle 2 x 8800GTX in Sli?

I LOVE Corsair PSUs. I have and love the HX620.

But that being said, no it wont :(

Firstly, it only has 2 X 6pin PCIe cables. You need 2 per card. Yes you can get a molex to PCIe adaptor, but the simple fact that you are only given 2 as the max option from Corsair tells me something :D

Also, it depends on how much you are going to OC your CPU, what CPU you currently have, how much you are going to OC your GPUs, and how many extras you have added into the system (how many hard drives, fans, etc...). If you have 1 HD its a maybe (?) but if you are running a 4 drive RAID or something its a definite no go.

Try using the Corsair PSU estimating guide HERE

When I ran the configurator with C2Q, 2 X 8800 GTX, OC cpu, OC gpu, and 2 hard drives it said 750W corsair PSU FWIW....

Good luck!

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU OC'ed to 3.2Ghz
Not going to OC GPU
3 x Fans
1 Serial ATA HDD
1 PATA HDD

Hard Drives are not in RAID configuration.

So you reckon mine would run it?

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU OC'ed to 3.2Ghz
Not going to OC GPU
3 x Fans
1 Serial ATA HDD
1 PATA HDD

Hard Drives are not in RAID configuration.

So you reckon mine would run it?

Nope.

Check the configurator but I really dont think so.

I think that the 2 X 8800 GTXs alone will overwhelm that PSU as much as I love it....

Just my opinion though.

It'll work just fine. Even a 520 would be enough. People have a tendency to suggest way bigger PSUs than are needed. Go to extreme.outervision.com and use the power supply calculator. Plug in your system info, and it'll tell you the power you need. IIRC, a quad core with 2 GTX's and a bunch of drives and fans draws something like 386 watts 100% loaded.

Your best bet is to check over in the "Case and Power Supply" section. There are smoe very knowledgeable people there (Oklahomawolf and Johnnyguru)

From: http://www.jonnyguru.com//forums/showthread.php?t=3137

8800 GTS 640MB x 2 SLI bridge on build 2
Total: 656W DC.
Total +12V2: 13.7A
Total +12V1: 33.4A

8800 GTX 768MB x 2 SLI bridge on build 1
Total: 527W DC.
Total +12V2: 7.2A
Total +12V1: 30.2A

8800 GTX 768MB x 2 SLI bridge on build 2
Total: 715W DC.
Total +12V2: 14.3A
Total +12V1: 41.1A

It'll work just fine. Even a 520 would be enough. People have a tendency to suggest way bigger PSUs than are needed. Go to extreme.outervision.com and use the power supply calculator. Plug in your system info, and it'll tell you the power you need. IIRC, a quad core with 2 GTX's and a bunch of drives and fans draws something like 386 watts 100% loaded.

That's assuming no efficiency loss which is guarenteed on any PSU and it doesn't give you much overhead.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Build 1 is an Intel quad. Build 2 is a pair of FX-72's and doesn't apply to his situation. 527 watts. The HX620 would have around 100 watts headroom (at LEAST) in that system. It'll be fine.

I hope your right bud. My second 8800GTX comes tomorrow.

Im sure he is right since this isnt speculative information and its a rig that he is currently running.

Plus he sent me some 3M TIM tape, so in my mind he cant ever be wrong now!

:D

Im sure he is right since this isnt speculative information and its a rig that he is currently running.

Plus he sent me some 3M TIM tape, so in my mind he cant ever be wrong now!

:D

Thanks for the vote of confidence man :)

I hope your right bud. My second 8800GTX comes tomorrow.

Unless you get a GTX for $250 or less...why on earth would you buy another with the GTS/GT 512 out there?

Unless you get a GTX for $250 or less...why on earth would you buy another with the GTS/GT 512 out there?

I couldnt agree more but hey.....dif strokes for dif folks.

I guess he allready had the 1st GTX and really really really wanted to get an SLI setup. Although I personally would have sold the first GTX since they are still holding value SOMEWHAT acceptably, and then bought 2X GTS 512s or wait for the new 9800 GTX which should be released pretty soon too.

Thanks for the vote of confidence man :)

2 x 8800GTX in SLi Vs 2 x 8800GTS in SLi.

Hmmm i think i know which one id rather have if i could afford both options.

2 x 8800GTX in SLi Vs 2 x 8800GTS in SLi.

Hmmm i think i know which one id rather have if i could afford both options.

IMO

8800GTX SLi > 8800GTS SLI (640mb)
8800GTS SLI (512mb) > 8800GTX SLI

the only reason i say this, is overclocking potential. *most* GTX SLi maxes out on the core side around 650MHz on air. while the g92 chips can run a much faster core frequency on AIR cooling. my g92 GTS SLi can run 24/7 @ 800core/1150mem. and i can bench it all the way up to 826MHz core - NO GTX can run 800 core w/o a vmod.

Okay, just a quick question to the OP:

What monitor are you running this SLI setup on?

Back