• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

De la Norton Ghost 9.0 Sata Raid0 Problemos Senoirs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mata2974

I have always assumed that NG 9.0 will work flawless with a sata raid0 array, boy was I wrong or what??

I recently installed XP onto a sata raid0 2xWD 80gb hard drives. I cloned my installation onto a 80gb seagate drive. My XP installation on the raid array is corrupt and I want to install my ghost image. When I boot with the ghost CD, it does not see my raid0 array at all???????. Even when I hit F6 to install raid drivers it still wont work.
I need help. So what good is Norton Ghost if it wont work with Raid in this day and age :bang head

I dunno, Ghost 8 saw mine... I've used it on a SATA raid and on a PATA raid, both without issue. I've used it to clone from a 4gb "backup" to my 2 x 250gb PATA RAID 0, and I've also used it to clone from a 40GB single PATA to a pair of 72GB raptor's on a buddy's machine.

Both machines were using raid controllers that are built into the motherboard tho (Promise 20276 on the first, Intel ICH5R on the second). Maybe that's the difference?

I get an error like NVraid.sys file missing, and dont get far. I have found out that a restore program by Terabyte Unlimited called "Image for Windows" works excellent

Did you run Live Update? I've got two 74 Raptors in a RAID0. Also, choose to back it up with file integrity on. It takes a lot longer. Or, you can have it scan for the integrity afterward by choosing (can't recall the name of it--at work) the other Ghost choice in the Start menu to scan it. I'm running on
Intel ICH5R FWIW.

Fdisk said:
Did you run Live Update? I've got two 74 Raptors in a RAID0. Also, choose to back it up with file integrity on. It takes a lot longer. Or, you can have it scan for the integrity afterward by choosing (can't recall the name of it--at work) the other Ghost choice in the Start menu to scan it. I'm running on
Intel ICH5R FWIW.

I just looked, it's called Back Up Image Browser...

my problem seems to be with this chipset, looks like it does not work with Ghost
according to HERE and other places.......unless i am missing something or can anybody with this chipset and sata raid0 shed some light.

When did Symantec say that Norton Ghost 9 would work with RAID? Been searching the main site but all I got was info on 8.X & earlier.

Ghost will work with many arrays,as long as it is seen by dos.The problem is that there are no dos drivers for many sata chipsets or it doesn't use the 13h interrupt.Changing the switches seems to work for the Intel chipset but not the silicon image.
I just reinstalled my old pci card for dual arrays.I had hoped to use the on-board sata but if it cannot be seen by Ghost,I will not use it.I have been trying to write a new dos boot disk adding the drivers and config files that will see the sata with no luck at all.A few years ago I was successful at writing a Ghost disk that would read and write NTFS using IBM dos,the same way Ghost now writes their disks.Until SI writes some dos drivers for their chipsets I don't think it will ever work.
I am a little miffed that neither company has done anything about this.

That is not entirely true.I still sometimes use Ghost 7 with my arrays and had the PE version before that.Raid is not officially supported but may work fine for many arrays.All versions I have used were able to image my NTFS raid arrays since version 7 and most likely earlier version as well.I just did not know how to make it work with NTFS before that.

Fdisk said:

You are doing software RAID correct? Unless your 100% sure you are running hardware level RAID, there is a RAID Processor Chip doing the calculations & not just a RAID Controller Chip, you are most probably running software RAID0. From the link you posted.....

Solution:
Only hardware RAID levels 0 (stripe sets) and 5 (stripe sets with parity) are supported.

shadowdr said:
That is not entirely true.I still sometimes use Ghost 7 with my arrays and had the PE version before that.Raid is not officially supported but may work fine for many arrays.All versions I have used were able to image my NTFS raid arrays since version 7 and most likely earlier version as well.I just did not know how to make it work with NTFS before that.

What's not entirely true? From Symantec & older versions of Ghost.....

Symantec said:
Ghost compatibility with RAID

Situation:

This document describes the compatibility between Ghost and computers that use RAID.

Solution:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Before you begin:

Symantec does not provide technical support for imaging RAID drives, regardless of whether the drive uses software level RAID or hardware level RAID. Successfully imaging a RAID drive is dependent on the specific computer model, driver controller, hard drive, and RAID implementation. Symantec provides the following information only as an aid to cloning RAID drives. This information is a suggestion only. It is likely to work only in limited circumstances. Symantec does not provide support for the following information.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ghost and RAID

Ghost is not compatible with computers that use RAID. That is, Symantec Ghost 8.x and earlier, and Norton Ghost 2003 and earlier, do not support RAID controllers on computers that are being imaged. In addition:
Ghost does not work with software level RAID.
Although Ghost might work in some limited circumstances with hardware level RAID, Symantec does not support using Ghost for cloning hardware level RAID drives.

Ghost does support cloning drives that have had RAID removed, such as after you break a mirrored set.

Ghost and hardware-level RAID systems

Although it is not a supported feature, Ghost can sometimes create and restore images to hardware level RAID systems if you load the appropriate DOS ASPI driver to support this. Load the DOS ASPI driver when you create the image file and again when you restore the image file. DOS ASPI drivers can usually be obtained from the RAID hardware manufacturer. For other ASPI driver information, see the document Information on ASPI drivers.

I was replying to Fdisk.While raid is not officially supported by ghost until version 8, I have been using it long before there was a version 8.I originally used Ghost to backup my raid array on my KT7AR when I first got the mobo.While I do not remember the version it was from a System Works CD.I also use version 7 to backup both of my arrays now.

There is a play on words within the terminology of Ghost.Earlier versions will not write an image to NTFS partitions but will do partition to partition copies of them to any other NTFS partition.

Last edited:
Sonny said:
You are doing software RAID correct? Unless your 100% sure you are running hardware level RAID, there is a RAID Processor Chip doing the calculations & not just a RAID Controller Chip, you are most probably running software RAID0. From the link you posted.....

Yeah, my chipset requires a driver. I don't understand your point. That it won't work with hardware Raid? Just offering links and the FWIW that it works with the ICHR5.

Last edited:
I am done with Symantec People, I could not even activate Ghost 9 and I had to wait for 30 min to talk to some lady in India, she said sorry, some codes wont activate the product you have to call us.....

If you want to backup your Raid arrays, I recommend This Program.

Back