• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 754 A64s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hrm well i'm still pondering getting a 3000 DTR now or waiting for the newer chips in a couple of months (which price i'm not sure of). I guess i can hold out of a couple of months if needed but if they're going to be $200 or something then i might as well get the current DTR chip.

I'm leaning toward waiting though.

i just ordered a dfi UT 250 and 3400+ mobile 62w, a couple guys at xs.org are having great results with them, 2.8+ ghz watercooled. hope they like the cold :)

Adaman said:
Alright, i won't lie, i don't know what 25w or 35w means exactly :p, i'd appreciate an explanation if someone were to post or link me to some info.

Think they will be pretty costly when they are released?

Those are the wattage outputs of the processor. Lower watts = less power consumption = better temps and assumed better overclocking headroom. For reference, most Mobile Bartons run at 45W, and a handful of XP-M 2400+ chips can do 35W. So these will run even colder :) Also, most Athlon 64 chips run around 62W or 87W stock, whereas many newer P4 chips approach the 100W mark. I hope you get the point now.

deception``

deception`` said:
Those are the wattage outputs of the processor. Lower watts = less power consumption = better temps and assumed better overclocking headroom. For reference, most Mobile Bartons run at 45W, and a handful of XP-M 2400+ chips can do 35W. So these will run even colder :) Also, most Athlon 64 chips run around 62W or 87W stock, whereas many newer P4 chips approach the 100W mark. I hope you get the point now.

deception``

The wattage is calculated by the voltage they run at and the speed. The mobiles just have a lower stock voltage, but when you overclock you will want to increase it to the same you would for a non mobile processor. A non-mobile processor probably has a lot more headroom at the same stock voltage than a mobile. The mobiles tend to overclock better though.

I heard the newer mobile 754 chips coming out might have compatibility issues with current 754 mobos, especially the DFI Lanparty NF3 mobo, is that right?

I'm eager to ditch this A64 i have now, it's just awful. I might look go the Pentium route if the newer mobile chips don't work out.

heard the newer mobile 754 chips coming out might have compatibility issues with current 754 mobos, especially the DFI Lanparty NF3 mobo, is that right?

I'm eager to ditch this A64 i have now, it's just awful. I might look go the Pentium route if the newer mobile chips don't work out.

All that problem has been fixed (being fixed) via bios update, so, dont worry about that.
See how rumors spread.....blame it on McGeek!!!!

So these newer .90nm cpus are coming out in the next couple of months you say. I am wondering will all motherboards be capable of running these with a simple bios flash or am I screwed? I am really looking to upgrade but I really dont need to buy another mobo (third one for this socket) just for a simple cpu upgrade.

mata2974 said:
All that problem has been fixed (being fixed) via bios update, so, dont worry about that.
See how rumors spread.....blame it on McGeek!!!!

Good to know, thanks. I heard these chips might show up in April as well, does that sound about right?

I just got a killer Mobile 3400+, but they are a hassle because they fit too loose with sinks/WC brackets designed for spreaders. Plus the Abit NF8 is faster than the DFI board but BIOS updates are pathetic so it don't support Mobiles, not unless you expect a great overclock limited to 1.4 VCORE.

What's the story on retail 3400+ Claws, all gone? Newegg and PCProgress are out of stock. These work OK on the NF8. I got two run-of-the-mills that do 2510 on air and I'm wondering whether I should hang on to them or sell them now here in Japan while the resale price is decent.

I suppose I could get the 3700+ retail, which Newegg is selling for $315. I think I should sell both the 3400+ Claws and use the money to get the 3700+.

I've said a couple of times on this forum that a good S754 will give a S939 a run for it's money. Correction: the NF8 will, but not the DFI. I did hit 27,300 in 3DMark2000 on the DFI but it took a Mobile at 2706 mhz and BH-5 at 246, 2-2-2-10 to do it. I hit 27,443 on the NF8 at 258x10, 2.5-2-3-5 with Ballistix at 2.8 VDIMM!

To put this in perspective, I have not broken 27k in 3DMark2000 with the S939 rigs in my sig.

Gotta love that 1MB L2 . . .

mine is 130nm i am under testing 2.6 it is not stable for the moment (tweaking setting and vcore)

Quailane said well (The 90nm socket 939's really blow away the 130nm socket 754's in terms of overclocking)
939 90nm much easier to overclock and go higher

makaka said:
mine is 130nm i am under testing 2.6 it is not stable for the moment (tweaking setting and vcore)

Quailane said well (The 90nm socket 939's really blow away the 130nm socket 754's in terms of overclocking)
939 90nm much easier to overclock and go higher

Well the latest 0500+ CBBIDs (or whatever) aren't doing too well. Some guys have trouble beating a good XP2600 Mobile! Many can't get over 2500 with these Winnies.

Yes, I was fortunate to buy all my Winnies from 0441-0447, mainly Rxxxs. They all did 2600 at default volts on air, and 2700 with around 1.52-1.55. I actually sold two to raise cash. As my 3500+s top out at 2760, I run these. I still kept one 3200+ that does 2700 (no higher), mainly because it does it at 1.48 VCORE, also a 3000+ that does 2700 on air at 1.525.

I think AMD put all the good cores in early to spur sales. I think Intel did the same thing with the 2.40C, where some early ones hit 300 fsb.

Most the CO, even CG Claws max at 2500 on air. Some of the later NCs will overclock well into the 2600-2700 range. But a Claw is just as fast with a 200 mhz deficit.

The Winnies are sissies at 3DMark2000 though, due to half the L2 cache.

Dragonprince said:
Not according to the review I read, the NC 3400 easily beat the Claw 3400...and even did well against the higher rated 939's in a few app's.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...http://hardware.fr/art/imprimer/496/&lp=fr_en

Can't read that link since Babelfish is blocked at work.

What I said is generally well known. I have two S939 boards, two S754 boards, four Winnies, four Claws, one NC, and these are my findings. Performance on a S754 NC is very disappointing. I'm talking overclocking, not default clocks. Besides, the whole principle of the S754 is the 1MB L2 of the Claw, on the assumption most of us can't afford an FX-55.

Also Claw performance on the NF8 is scintillating; on the DFI, you will trail S939 big time (unless you can run at least 2700 mhz on a Claw, and BH-5 at 240+ 2-2-2-5).

Have you ever compared 3DMark2000/2001 scores on an XP-2600 Mobile with 512 L2 versus a reg XP1700 with 256? At same clock of 2500 mhz (similar ram clocks too), you get around 1000 more points with the Mobile. This is with BH-5 at around 221, 2-2-2-5, which the L2 really gets off on.

From what I've seen, more L2 tends to not do as much for A64s in real world benchmarks as it does for the older XPs because of the large L1 cache on the 64 & the integrated memory controller. Of course it doesn't hurt to have the extra L2 cache ;).

Moto7451 said:
From what I've seen, more L2 tends to not do as much for A64s in real world benchmarks as it does for the older XPs because of the large L1 cache on the 64 & the integrated memory controller. Of course it doesn't hurt to have the extra L2 cache ;).

As I mentioned, it depends on the board too. The NF8 really smokes with the L2 cache. I have not been able to touch it's 3DMark2000 record of 27,443 at 260x10, 2.5-3-3-6. Not even with my S939 boards running 8000 buffered and 30 sec SuperPI 1M. I assume that old benchmark is cpu intensive.

I revisited my DFI UT3 board again and benchmarks are very disappointing with the Claw, except at 2706 at 246x11, 2-2-2-5, where I clocked a 27,303 3DMark2000 score. Can't touch even that with my S939 boards (see sig), so have to figure it's the L2 cache ;).

Iam interested in these new Mobile socket 754's as well. Still gotta test how far my 3700+ when i get me H20 sorted out, i think 2.7ghz should be little trouble, not really worth getting an upgrade, as with overclocking we all know nothing is guarnenteed, and my luck is the worst. :)

Venice doesn't really interest me, i want 1Mb. :) Plus i love this board.

I doubt the gains would be very high since the 3700 has 1M to begin with and has very respectible performance...still if 3Ghz was possible that could be a compelling setup.

Anyways, maybe someone could bump this or pm me when the new mobile chips come out. Thanks.

Back