• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Many brands of 8800GTX cards - How do I choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flyboy

Registered
A quick Google and I see several brands (flavors) of the 8800 GTX GPUs out there. The price range is pretty broad as well ($500-800). Are the cards really that different? Can some of you help me understand what I should be looking for when trying to choose a 8800 GTX GPU? I don't think I'll be running SLI any time soon. Here's a list I compiled from a real quick Google.

Asus
BFG
Evga
Foxconn
MSI
XFX
PNY

right now basically the cheapest and the best warranty is all you need.

some cards are overclocked to 625/2000

the stock gtx is 575/1800 I think most should OC to 625/2000 easily with stock cooling.

My favorite is eVGA for many reasons, best RMA, step up program and lifetime warranty.

BFG offers a lifetime warranty as does XFX

Basically find the best price you can for one and go for it.

I don't trust the review, it's too easily affected by a good clocker. The cards are all made by the same design. They should oc somewhat the same. Especially the early cards of november.

So the Evga clocks gpu and performs the best of all? The only thing you have proven is that a good gpu oc is more valueble then a good mem clock.

Just go by the cheapest brand with good service.

the brands I noticed that seem to use better chips are BFG, XFX and eVGA, my next video card will be either BFG or XFX

As far as I know all 8800s were and are made by the same OEM (Asus I think?) and then re-badged, so in theory oc'ing is purely luck of the draw. The only exception would be post-production speed-binning or alternative cooling but even then all the cards come from the same general production batches.

I've heard great things about eVGA and BFG. I just bought an eVGA card, haven't installed it yet though.

What is this stepping up program that eVGA offers? As far as i know i've bought my 7900GT from FORSA and its not any different from other brands. Performs the same.

Rickster said:
What is this stepping up program that eVGA offers? As far as i know i've bought my 7900GT from FORSA and its not any different from other brands. Performs the same.

The step up program allows you to take the pruchase of a video card and apply the value of it to a new video card within 90 days of the original purchase.

So say you bought an 8800GTS but decided you really wanted the 8800GTX, you could enter the step up program and pay the difference for the GTX. You also send back your old card essentially trading it in.

Yeah, evga is great for that. I stepped up from 7800gt's to 7900gt sli. Unfortunately it can only be done once. I can't ask for carnival rides though. T'would be nice to upgrade to 8800's now, but can't. Warranty with evga is fantastic as well.

8800 GTS or GTX?

:beer: Ok folks. It looks like it will be eVGA for me. Now for my next question.

When I read the reviews it looks like the 8800 GTX is a much faster card then the 8800 GTS. My question is, will I really notice the difference? If I have the GTS am I not able to run games with all of the features at their highest settings?

I have a Antec P150 case and will have to modify the drive cage in order to fit the GTX. I'm wondering if it will be worth it, or if the GTS will be just fine. I like playing Far Cry, MS Flight Sim, G3 Flight Sim and a couple others.

Darn GTX, I wish it was a 1/2" shorter. I'll have to grind away at one of my drive bays, or drill out all of the rivets, turn the drive bay 90 degrees and remount to the case. I'm not opposed to doing this - after all, it's just a case.

With your processor you'll notice the difference between an 8800gts and 8800gtx, I'd say. :)

Now go OC that CPU! I'm running 3ghz on the stock fan, what's your excuse. :p

Facts:

Evga: Lifetime warranty, step up program, warranty not voided by aftermarket cooling (!)

BFG: Lifetime warranty, good tech support, usually good extras bundled with card

XFX: Double lifetime warranty (if you sell the card, the new owner also gets a lifetime warranty), coolest looking heatsinks

That last one wasn't a fact
biggrinbounce.gif

Tell me if I forgot anything

Rattle said:
right now basically the cheapest and the best warranty is all you need.

some cards are overclocked to 625/2000

the stock gtx is 575/1800 I think most should OC to 625/2000 easily with stock cooling.

My favorite is eVGA for many reasons, best RMA, step up program and lifetime warranty.

BFG offers a lifetime warranty as does XFX

Basically find the best price you can for one and go for it.

Yep go by price as the warranties on the big boys is pretty much the same. I haven't seen a
standard clocked 8800GTX yet that would not clock OC up to XFX "XXX" speeds out of the box.
They will be a faster card than the "XXX" as well as an OC'ed standard card will be running a
108Mhz higher shader clock when OC'ed to 625Mhz.

Viper

Back