• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation 3 folding, or PowerPC Linux folding.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

So I just recently bought a PlayStation 3 and I want to use it for folding, but I have no idea how. The only Linux folding clients available on the Stanford folding website are x86 linux installs, and the others are Mac OS X PowerPC installs. They even have an intel Mac OS X client, but where is the one for PowerPC linux? I want to get my PS3 folding because at the moment it isn't good for much else (I don't have an HDCP display so I can't even freaking watch blu-ray movies)

So anyway, does anyone else have their Playstation 3 folding? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

the latest "rumor" is march release around the same time as the europe ps3 goes on sale. I have 2 ps3 patiently waiting to fold since december!!

and from what i read, the client is fully complete. or at least Vijay has one folding full time in his office for quite some time now. it's mainly sony's NDA and restriction that make Stanford can't release the client as they want.

LandShark said:
it's mainly sony's NDA and restriction that make Stanford can't release the client as they want.

NDA? What in the world could there possibly be an NDA on [which makes sense] from Sony's side regarding PS3 folding?

I read that, but I didn't see anything about a releast date for the client. Where did you hear it wouldn't be released until march?

Sorry for not giving you specifics, but I heard it in the forum probably back in December when a lot of people got them for Xmas.

Non-disclosure my but we need to fold! Sony release the folding!!

Yeah like they would listen to me. LOL:)

LandShark said:
the latest "rumor" is march release around the same time as the europe ps3 goes on sale. I have 2 ps3 patiently waiting to fold since december!!

2?!?! I want just 1.

Isn't some of it that the firmware needs to updated, to allow the multitasking to work right.

I read where its diffucult to do simultaneous things on the PS3. I was wondering if thats true.

dfonda said:
Isn't some of it that the firmware needs to updated, to allow the multitasking to work right.

I read where its diffucult to do simultaneous things on the PS3. I was wondering if thats true.

I haven't read anything about that (but then again, I don't read :beer:) but it sounds logical. There is a very good chance that has everything to do with it.

soundfx said:
get my PS3 folding because at the moment it isn't good for much else

rotfl.gif
pwned.gif

davekusa said:
What kind of PPD are we thinking/guessing?

I fear it's going to be like GPU, where despite how they do insanely more work than a CPU, they barely make more ppd because of the way it's all set up. I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 ends up being the same; it's not like you've got faster or slower PS3s like CPUs and GPUs. So I guess Stanford will just pick a number like they did for GPU (330).

Not that it matters to me one way or the other, the last console I bought was a Saturn.

The issue with this I believe lies in as mentioned a Multi-Tasking issue. March also has a Firmware update coming out to address this among many other issues so it would make since it would be launched either then or the month after. Sorin is probably right but I'll be sure to set mine up when it comes out eitherway.

jws2346 said:
Man, I wish whoever is responsible for the whole deal would get of of their duff :bang head and make a PS3 folding client available, regardless of the, as of yet, unknown point allocation I think whatever it is, the PS3 folding client would be a move in the right direction (like the SMP client)

My $.02 and a half cents :rolleyes:

omg, I just now realized that they finally have an SMP client lol. I even remembered reading, "x64 only, or SMP" when I was looking for the PowerPC linux folding client, but for some reason it didn't register in my brain. I guess it's been so long since I've actively participated in folding that I actually forgot there didn't used to be an SMP client :beer:

as for the main topic of this post it looks like my question has been answered, but it isn't what I wanted to hear. :( BUT! March is only a week or so away :D so I can see what happens then! :santa:

soundfx4 said:
haha, that's pretty funny, but you know what I mean when I said that.

Yeah, I knew what you meant but I couldn't resist ;) The PS3 launch was pretty bad because of the mediocre launch games and ebay price gouging. Sony just created hype by releasing such a limited supply of consoles right before Christmas. It's kind of like right after Katrina hit and everyone rushed to get gas, creating long lines and high prices. A week later the pipeline was repaired and everything was fine.

All the while, Sony says everything is fine, this is the best launch ever, etc... like Joseph Goebbels while Berlin is getting bombed

PaciFIST69 said:
Yeah, I knew what you meant but I couldn't resist ;) The PS3 launch was pretty bad because of the mediocre launch games and ebay price gouging. Sony just created hype by releasing such a limited supply of consoles right before Christmas. It's kind of like right after Katrina hit and everyone rushed to get gas, creating long lines and high prices. A week later the pipeline was repaired and everything was fine.

All the while, Sony says everything is fine, this is the best launch ever, etc... like Joseph Goebbels while Berlin is getting bombed

haha, yeah, but what can ya do? Eventually some good games will come out for it, but in the mean time I can use it for linux and a Blu-Ray player! And even if I never do want to use it for games, I will always be able to look at it as a 600 dollar Blu-Ray player and that is good enough for me :p

Back